DT Irving misses media portion of practice dealing with child custody case

CowboysRule

Reaction score
I'm sure he'll be able to offer his child a great life once he gets cut and can't get another contract because he never shows up to practice.

ESisback

Reaction score
Gotcha. You meant weak link in the public perception, not on the Defense.
Yeah, private life. Picture this scenario: An ambitious media guy has a couple of nice exchanges with John Mara or Pat Shurmur or some FO bigwig from a division rival, who insinuates in a “joking” manner, to watch that goofball Irving. The media guy, wanting to score points, vigilantly follows then reports anything that has the potential to further impair declining ratings. The perception is already there that Irving is the latest in a long line of nasty criminals that “only the Cowboys” would employ, so Goodell could score points being a “firm, no nonsense” leader. These guys aren’t dumb! An “innocent”, throwaway joke can accomplish a lot!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand children are important, but this is a legal matter, not taking his kid to the hospital or anything. Can a lawyer not handle this?

It's also the "media portion of practice", so how important is that? In any case, not everything in a custody case can be handled through the lawyers, so maybe this particular situation required him to be there or maybe it didn't.

ESisback

Reaction score
I'm sure he'll be able to offer his child a great life once he gets cut and can't get another contract because he never shows up to practice.
I offered my children a GREAT life, for a lot less than most of these clowns make in two seasons!

jrumann59

Reaction score
Wish that lady would leave him alone while he footballs. Let him work, it helps your child.
Logic goes out the window in many custody battles. Most usually have a parent that thinks the custody battle is whats best for them instead of whats best for the child.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yeah, private life. Picture this scenario: An ambitious media guy has a couple of nice exchanges with John Mara or Pat Shurmur or some FO bigwig from a division rival, who insinuates in a “joking” manner, to watch that goofball Irving. The media guy, wanting to score points, vigilantly follows then reports anything that has the potential to further impair declining ratings. The perception is already there that Irving is the latest in a long line of nasty criminals that “only the Cowboys” would employ, so Goodell could score points being a “firm, no nonsense” leader. These guys aren’t dumb! An “innocent”, throwaway joke can accomplish a lot!
Well, I don't know how they're gonna get him suspended for trying to win a custody battle. Lol

GenoT

Reaction score
Not one to give Jerry & Co too many props as a football organization but, when it comes to taking care of his players, old Jones has a lotta heart.

Upset because a good player has off-field issues? Yeah...count me in.

But the man’s family comes first.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The media has the power and ability to affect just about ANY public perception, and Goody can basically do what he wants.

Goodell can't suspend a player for a custody battle. It has to be a violation of the personal conduct or substance abuse policies.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Well even this will start the usual suspects on a whining rampage about him.
Whining rampage? this guy had 11 months to sort this out, and he has money for lawyers. I had to go back to work after 3 weeks after my fiance passing away. You want to talk about people whining? This guy is a professional. Period. Without this high paying job he wouldnt have a chance in hell at custody anyways, so maybe he should, you know. SHOW UP!

cern

Reaction score
Valid point. I have no idea how often they have court, but I've never seen three a week for custody cases.
every time her lawyer can get him in court, the lawyer gets paid more. more than likely he's taking her case on retainer. expecting to get paid from whatever she can weasel out of irving. common strategy among divorce lawyers.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Whining rampage? this guy had 11 months to sort this out, and he has money for lawyers. I had to go back to work after 3 weeks after my fiance passing away. You want to talk about people whining? This guy is a professional. Period. Without this high paying job he wouldnt have a chance in hell at custody anyways, so maybe he should, you know. SHOW UP!

11 months ago the situation may not have been where it is now, and if she is the loose cannon she seems to be, then it's possible he would have a chance in custody. A court certainly doesn't care if he is a professional athlete, but admittedly his profession likely allows him to hire a better lawyer.

ESisback

Reaction score
Goodell can't suspend a player for a custody battle. It has to be a violation of the personal conduct or substance abuse policies.

Maybe not, but he CAN negatively impact the Cowboys.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe not, but he CAN negatively impact the Cowboys.

In what way, and why would Irving having a custody battle prompt that? Obviously he has power, and I don't like some of his decisions, but I don't see what the motivation would be to fabricate an attack (in what form?) based on a guy being in a custody battle.

In the past, even when he screwed up I could generally see the motivation. For example, with Zeke it was to pacify the women's activist groups and the media that jumps on that bandwagon. Leniency with Rice was prior to the rise of these groups and the media jumping on board, so at that time he was trying to keep a good player active. The guy screws it up, but his motivations generally aren't that hard to see. I don't see the motivation with someone having a custody battle.

Last edited:

CWR

Reaction score
First and foremost your kids always come first. Although there are typically options to satisfy your employer at the same time as well.

All that said after Irving got on the field and flashed last Sunday hes not gonna get too much opposition from Cowboy fans lol!

Lets go COWBOYS!

phildadon86

Reaction score
11 months ago the situation may not have been where it is now, and if she is the loose cannon she seems to be, then it's possible he would have a chance in custody. A court certainly doesn't care if he is a professional athlete, but admittedly his profession likely allows him to hire a better lawyer.
He can afford to send lawyers in his defense. Give me a break.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He can afford to send lawyers in his defense. Give me a break.

It's not always just a matter of affording lawyers. For example, a lawyer can't testify, or give a deposition or sign a document in lieu of the party he represents. Also, a lawyer isn't a substitute for a parent showing up in person at a hearing or a meeting with the judge, and it is vital to a parent seeking custody to show the court he/she is willing to do what it takes to support the child.