DT Jordan Phillips not resigning w/Bills

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
That's the kind of FA the Cowboys should be kicking the tires on. Big need and in his prime, they should pursue him.
Save our #17 and being this guy in.

Let Dak and Amari go and draft a top WR and sign a FA QB for now.

Save the cap and sign some more defensive players.

These are no brain moves to me. I would also consider trading next years #1 to move up in this draft to get a QB.

If we are any good this year at all..it will only be a late round pick we are shipping off to move up.

We want to win now. Not drag out the rebuilding to where we start losing our players as their contracts expire.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The Bills have a replacement already in-house. It makes it easier not to pay when you have a first-round draft pick on the roster ready to take over.
Which is exactly what you are SUPPOSE to do.

Mind you......if they thought Phillips was going to be this good maybe they think twice about taking Oliver. May be not. Either way.....point still remains. He hadn't done anything to this point and now its his contract year and he has a career year. Its not a new story. Happens every year. And these guys rarely go on to continue success. Out of respect for Lawrence he's a far much better DE than Phillips is a DT and he wasn't a one year wonder. But its better to get from under Phillips than to sign him long term.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

These are no brain moves to me. I would also consider trading next years #1 to move up in this draft to get a QB.

If we are any good this year at all..it will only be a late round pick we are shipping off to move up.

We want to win now. Not drag out the rebuilding to where we start losing our players as their contracts expire.
Wait what lol? You want to win now but you want to let Dak and Amari go? Huh lol?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Wait what lol? You want to win now but you want to let Dak and Amari go? Huh lol?
I have allowed that we will not win anyway with those two draining our cap like a siphon tube in your gas tank.

We will just pay and scream.

I want 2 hungry players in their primes. Plus I would prefer more hungry bodies with the leftover money.

This roster is not flush with talent.its flush with underachieves.

McCarthy has probably known this all along.

We sure have known it for years. We can win now.

It just needs a real coach with a plan notworking with Jerrah Jones to do it.

Savey?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Which is exactly what you are SUPPOSE to do.

Mind you......if they thought Phillips was going to be this good maybe they think twice about taking Oliver. May be not. Either way.....point still remains. He hadn't done anything to this point and now its his contract year and he has a career year. Its not a new story. Happens every year. And these guys rarely go on to continue success. Out of respect for Lawrence he's a far much better DE than Phillips is a DT and he wasn't a one year wonder. But its better to get from under Phillips than to sign him long term.

Maybe so. I haven't really watched the player, so I don't have an opinion on him in particular. I just want Dallas to go after a stud DT instead of just trying to patch it with cheaper options.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
While a big name FA is not necessary, the Cowboys' defense would look a lot better with a body snatcher at DT and perhaps Delpit or Mckinney at S. Spend the money where you need it most. Unfortunately, the Cowboys found it worthwhile to overpay a RB and LB.
Very well put

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

They’re no brain moves because only someone with no brain would make those moves.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Maybe so. I haven't really watched the player, so I don't have an opinion on him in particular. I just want Dallas to go after a stud DT instead of just trying to patch it with cheaper options.

Yes and we have seen how that has worked out for us.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The Cowboys can ill afford another player, even a highly-sought FA DT, who would be a sure bet to be costly. It will be all that they can handle to accommodate the re-signings of the FAs currently to be retained. This is so, despite the financial maneuvering that's likely to be necessitated to remain competitive. They are and will likely continue to be dependent upon the draft and a highly controlled approach to vet free agency. The crunch that they are in, with the escessive number of veteran free agents now In house, makes a restrained financial approach very crucial.

Last edited:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yes and we have seen how that has worked out for us.

Both of those to an extent. Brandon Carr failing to live up to his contract led to the Joneses' current position on FA. But going cheap in FA hasn't exactly put us over the top, either.

Our best defensive addition last year was a player we traded for and paid $8 million. At tackle, we went cheap with Covington and he didn't add much.

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
the way we can maximize the new staff is by bringing in NFL CALIBER PLAYERS. Not experimental guys like Tristan Hill. That guy should have been drafted 2 rounds later than he was. We need big uglies, thugs on the interior..fat boys...not speedy smallish guys that have never proven a thing. Our linebackers are VASTLY overrated and that area needs fixing. Issaiah Simmons may be a guy that drops and if he does, we better think about taking him. He can play LB or safety. He's a beast and reminds me of Darren Woodson in College. We need good football players, not entitled Divas. That's been the issue.
:clap:

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
My hope is that we get someone like him in FA and draft a DT in the first round. Then, we have the top FA, top draft pick and then Woods, Hill and possibly Crawford (if he takes a pay cut) in backup roles at best ... and I like Antwuan Woods, but he's a role player, not a dynamic force.

I would then spend next 2 picks on secondary and address some part of offense with lower picks.