DT Khalen Saunders

kskboys

Reaction score
I literally don’t care about size or body type...just give me someone that can anchor and effect the run for once.

For some reason we love the Collins type who can disrupt the pass but gets bullied against the run against good OLs.

Those guys are back up , nickel players.
If you want someone who can anchor, you do care about body type!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kaiser

Reaction score
Sternberger may not make it, word on the street is he's a hot prospect...if DAL don't take him at 58 he gone, if he even makes it there.

Its a deep draft for TEs though, Brugler has 7 of them listed as 3rd round picks or better. Then another six rated as 4th or 5th round picks. I think we will come out of this draft with a good developmental project TE no matter what.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Its a deep draft for TEs though, Brugler has 7 of them listed as 3rd round picks or better. Then another six rated as 4th or 5th round picks. I think we will come out of this draft with a good developmental project TE no matter what.
Wow, that's a lot. I like Sternberger tho more than any other, but I guess I should check out some other prospects at TE.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Can you imagine if we get Zach Allen, Saunders, and Tell in our first 3 picks?
No I can't cause I'd be too pumped about the destruction this front 7 would do vs every OL on the schedule. I really like Zach Allen's play than a big 1tech-3Tech versatile big block in Saunders would have me ear to ear. Add a S and a RB/TE/WR the rest of the way, and that's an A from me.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

He’s got some physical ability. He’s quick for a big man.

I just don’t see a lot from him when an OLineman has his hands on him and using technique and his hands to get them off. The good thing is it can be taught.

Looks like a guy that would go round 3 or 4 to me.

kskboys

Reaction score
He’s got some physical ability. He’s quick for a big man.

I just don’t see a lot from him when an OLineman has his hands on him and using technique and his hands to get them off. The good thing is it can be taught.

Looks like a guy that would go round 3 or 4 to me.
Yup. He does need some work. If he was pro ready, he'd be a 1st rounder.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
No I can't cause I'd be too pumped about the destruction this front 7 would do vs every OL on the schedule. I really like Zach Allen's play than a big 1tech-3Tech versatile big block in Saunders would have me ear to ear. Add a S and a RB/TE/WR the rest of the way, and that's an A from me.

Oh, no doubt. Allen reminds me of Jared Allen. Getting him, Saunders, and Tell would be a killer draft in that order. I'd then draft a RB like Darrell Henderson if possible and John Ursua in round 7.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Plus, Allen, Saunders, Woods, and Tank would be a monster of a dline. Then add in our LBs. I'd also at some point in this draft take a QB if one falls to round 5. If God-forbid something happens to Dak, we'll need a backup. Cooper Rush isn't a good QB at all. White is okay, but a QB in round 5 might not be a bad choice as insurance.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like him as a nickel rusher, but not sure he has the power to hold the POA at the next level.

I’d consider him in the 3rd and beyond.

Saunders can hold the POA better than 281 pound Dre'mont Jones and better than:

Trysten Hill
Renell Wren
Zach Allen at 3-tech

The problem with media scouting reports is that they judge a guy like Saunders in regards to run defense against 0/1 tech type DTs but he should play 3-tech DT and is quicker than many sub-300 pound players.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I literally don’t care about size or body type...just give me someone that can anchor and effect the run for once.

For some reason we love the Collins type who can disrupt the pass but gets bullied against the run against good OLs.

Those guys are back up , nickel players.

Collins as a 3-tech is above average against the run.

Collins as a 1-tech is below average against the run.

At 3-tech Collins is better than Crawford against the run.

It would be great to get a Dexter Lawrence type. With Lawrence and Woods, Collins could be used exclusively at 3-tech.

I would be OK drafting both Saunders and Dylan Mack but I don't see the Cowboys taking more than 1 DT unless one of them is a DT/DE tweener.

I think both Saunders and Mack would thrive in Marinelli's rotation system. Saunders played too many snaps in college. In some games Mack also played to many snaps. They would need to check on Mack's personality/character/work-ethic.

kskboys

Reaction score
Many people project Zach Allen to 3-tech DT.

Saunders can hold the POA better than 281 pound Dre'mont Jones and better than:

Trysten Hill
Renell Wren
Zach Allen at 3-tech

The problem with media scouting reports is that they judge a guy like Saunders in regards to run defense against 0/1 tech type DTs but he should play 3-tech DT and is quicker than many sub-300 pound players.
I like Allen, and he wouldn't be a bad 2nd rounder at all. Thing is, you'd be getting a quality rotational guy w/ a great attitude and motor, but lacks the quick twitch to become great. Lunchpail type guy.

On the flip side, the likelihood of him busting is almost zero. Barring injury, he should be a good player.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Allen, and he wouldn't be a bad 2nd rounder at all. Thing is, you'd be getting a quality rotational guy w/ a great attitude and motor, but lacks the quick twitch to become great. Lunchpail type guy.

On the flip side, the likelihood of him busting is almost zero. Barring injury, he should be a good player.

You are describing Tyrone Crawford.

I would like a player with the possibility of more upside than Crawford.

DT Kawann Short and DT Chris Jones come to mind but they were picked earlier in the 2nd than #58.

My primary issue with Allen is that he projects best to Strong Side DE but DLaw is the SDE and it would likely be the best position for Crawford, Hyder and Taco.

Another concern is that they would yo-yo Allen back and forth between DE and DT the way they've done with Crawford. I think Crawford has been limited because he can never get his body/weight right due to often playing the opposite position of what (during the off-season) he expected to play.

kskboys

Reaction score
You are describing Tyrone Crawford.

I would like a player with the possibility of more upside than Crawford.

DT Kawann Short and DT Chris Jones come to mind but they were picked earlier in the 2nd than #58.

My primary issue with Allen is that he projects best to Strong Side DE but DLaw is the SDE and it would likely be the best position for Crawford, Hyder and Taco.

Another concern is that they would yo-yo Allen back and forth between DE and DT the way they've done with Crawford. I think Crawford has been limited because he can never get his body/weight right due to often playing the opposite position of what (during the off-season) he expected to play.
I agree.

IMO, the team who takes Allen should play him strictly as a DT. I personally wouldn't take him before the 4th.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
Khalen Saunders is good I would be thrilled if we could get him in the 3rd round.

He can play the 1 tech, has the upfield ability to play the 3 with the way he gets upfield. He has power to take on the blocker read the play and get rid of his blocker to get to the ball. As far as his pass rush he can get skinny in the hole and has a nasty hesitation to swim move to get past the interior linemen.

I think he is a player to watch out for.

kskboys

Reaction score
Oh, no doubt. Allen reminds me of Jared Allen. Getting him, Saunders, and Tell would be a killer draft in that order. I'd then draft a RB like Darrell Henderson if possible and John Ursua in round 7.
Nick Bosa is a carbon copy of Jared Allen.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I'm looking at tons of mocks and listened to the Cowboys show I'm scared we might be out of S by the time we pick. Do you actually reach for a DT, or do you fill another position even if it's a guy who isn't going to start but will be a big time contributor 2020? I like Saunders but that might be a reach but we could look to trade back take him there, go get Hooker in round 3, and try to find a development guy FS like Tell in the 4th?

What do you guys think.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'm looking at tons of mocks and listened to the Cowboys show I'm scared we might be out of S by the time we pick. Do you actually reach for a DT, or do you fill another position even if it's a guy who isn't going to start but will be a big time contributor 2020? I like Saunders but that might be a reach but we could look to trade back take him there, go get Hooker in round 3, and try to find a development guy FS like Tell in the 4th?

What do you guys think.
Draft is packed at DT. Taking one early wouldn't be a reach.