DT Leonard Williams = Splash

Discussion in 'Roster Zone' started by Furboy, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Furboy

Furboy Well-Known Member

14,804 Messages
    15,617 Likes Received
    Jerry likes making splashes. We need DT. Leonard Williams is slated to be a FA this offseason (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/defensive-end/). He'd be a tsunami of a splash for our defence, especially at an area of need. He's 6'5" and 291 lbs. Pair him with Gallimore, and you have a powerful dline. Gregory, Williams, Gallimore, and DLaw, wow! That would be fun to watch! This is a splash that Jerry SHOULD make.

daboyzruleperiod likes this.
  2. Furboy

Furboy Well-Known Member

14,804 Messages
    15,617 Likes Received
    One of the areas we struggled this season was not stopping the run. Gallimore emerged as a force as I think some of us thought he might be. Put WIlliams along side, and good luck running on that. Then, in the draft, start with a LB to fix that mess, and running the ball on us will be a bad decision next season. Essentially, force the opposition into going one dimensional, and let Diggs, Wilson, and a drafted safety next to Wilson feast on INTs.

3. J-man

J-man Well-Known Member

728 Messages
    506 Likes Received
    I would be on board to signing him and agree he would really help our D-line become very good.
    But I got to ask, what will it cost? Can they fit it under the cap after Dak's contract?

Furboy likes this.
  4. Future

Future Intramural Legend

26,030 Messages
    12,887 Likes Received
    Would like to have him - would have preferred to trade for him - but he's going to be way too expensive for only having the one year of production. Very similar to Shaq Barrett last year. He'll almost certainly get tagged.

Furboy likes this.
  5. Furboy

Furboy Well-Known Member

14,804 Messages
    15,617 Likes Received
    I think they can. We may have to restructure a few contracts. The good news is, next offseason, the cap should go up by quite a bit with the new TV deals, so this is the year to do things like that to try to get him in here and maybe even Kevin King if we're lucky.

6. Hardline

Hardline Well-Known Member

12,716 Messages
    21,170 Likes Received
    Since when does Jerry like making splashes in free agency?

Furboy likes this.
  7. Furboy

Furboy Well-Known Member

14,804 Messages
    15,617 Likes Received
    I know he used to, but he hasn't made one in a while.

8. mattjames2010

mattjames2010 Well-Known Member

18,509 Messages
    16,728 Likes Received
    We shop in the bargain bin now and pretend we outsmarted the rest of the league that avoided these knuckleheads.

Furboy likes this.
  9. nightrain

nightrain Since 1971

7,699 Messages
    12,573 Likes Received
    He won't be leaving NY.

Furboy likes this.
  10. td4mvp2k

td4mvp2k Active Member

274 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    if the defense didnt look like **** he should be #1 on their list but the D needs more then spending all the space on 1 FA.

11. calicowboy54

calicowboy54 Well-Known Member

803 Messages
    515 Likes Received

this guy will be cheaper and provide good de.
    Adam Butler

Furboy likes this.
  12. Furboy

Furboy Well-Known Member

14,804 Messages
    15,617 Likes Received
    I'll take him!

13. daboyzruleperiod

daboyzruleperiod ♡☆ Zone Supporter

25,783 Messages
    63,093 Likes Received
  14. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

98,083 Messages
    24,741 Likes Received
    He is a DE not a DT

Furboy likes this.
  15. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

13,085 Messages
    6,406 Likes Received
    A few things...almost 0% chance he isn't franchised or the Giants reach a deal with him, so I do think most of this is moot.

However, he is listed as a DE and has played that because he's pretty much always played in 3 man fronts. In *most* 4-3 defenses, he's a DT.

Now, looking at Dan Quinn/Gus Bradley and Seattle during that time, the 2012 and 2013 defense started Red Bryant (6-5 326) at LDE. It wasn't until 2014 when Michael Bennett (6-4 275) became a starter, who still kinda played a hybrid DE/DT role.

On the flip side, Gus Bradley who Quinn worked under in Seattle, consistently used larger DEs in Jacksonville, such as Red Bryant in 2014, Jared Odrick in 2015 (6-5 301) and Tyson Alualu (6'3 302) took over for an injured Odrick in 2016.

Furboy likes this.
  16. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

31,471 Messages
    14,891 Likes Received
    Williams is a 3T pass rusher, Gallimore was drafted to be a 3T pass rusher, Hill was drafted to be a 3T pass rusher, Stephen seems to be bringing back Gerald McCoy who is a 3T pass rusher.

Gallimore & Hill could possibly play some 1T but that just really isn't what they were scouted for.