DT Leonard Williams = Splash

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Jerry likes making splashes. We need DT. Leonard Williams is slated to be a FA this offseason (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/defensive-end/). He'd be a tsunami of a splash for our defence, especially at an area of need. He's 6'5" and 291 lbs. Pair him with Gallimore, and you have a powerful dline. Gregory, Williams, Gallimore, and DLaw, wow! That would be fun to watch! This is a splash that Jerry SHOULD make.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
One of the areas we struggled this season was not stopping the run. Gallimore emerged as a force as I think some of us thought he might be. Put WIlliams along side, and good luck running on that. Then, in the draft, start with a LB to fix that mess, and running the ball on us will be a bad decision next season. Essentially, force the opposition into going one dimensional, and let Diggs, Wilson, and a drafted safety next to Wilson feast on INTs.

J-man

Reaction score
I would be on board to signing him and agree he would really help our D-line become very good.
But I got to ask, what will it cost? Can they fit it under the cap after Dak's contract?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Would like to have him - would have preferred to trade for him - but he's going to be way too expensive for only having the one year of production. Very similar to Shaq Barrett last year. He'll almost certainly get tagged.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I would be on board to signing him and agree he would really help our D-line become very good.
But I got to ask, what will it cost? Can they fit it under the cap after Dak's contract?

I think they can. We may have to restructure a few contracts. The good news is, next offseason, the cap should go up by quite a bit with the new TV deals, so this is the year to do things like that to try to get him in here and maybe even Kevin King if we're lucky.

Hardline

Reaction score
Jerry likes making splashes. We need DT. Leonard Williams is slated to be a FA this offseason (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/defensive-end/). He'd be a tsunami of a splash for our defence, especially at an area of need. He's 6'5" and 291 lbs. Pair him with Gallimore, and you have a powerful dline. Gregory, Williams, Gallimore, and DLaw, wow! That would be fun to watch! This is a splash that Jerry SHOULD make.
Since when does Jerry like making splashes in free agency?

td4mvp2k

Reaction score
if the defense didnt look like **** he should be #1 on their list but the D needs more then spending all the space on 1 FA.

calicowboy54

Reaction score

this guy will be cheaper and provide good de.
Adam Butler

Doomsday101

Reaction score

He is a DE not a DT

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
He is a DE not a DT

A few things...almost 0% chance he isn't franchised or the Giants reach a deal with him, so I do think most of this is moot.

However, he is listed as a DE and has played that because he's pretty much always played in 3 man fronts. In *most* 4-3 defenses, he's a DT.

Now, looking at Dan Quinn/Gus Bradley and Seattle during that time, the 2012 and 2013 defense started Red Bryant (6-5 326) at LDE. It wasn't until 2014 when Michael Bennett (6-4 275) became a starter, who still kinda played a hybrid DE/DT role.

On the flip side, Gus Bradley who Quinn worked under in Seattle, consistently used larger DEs in Jacksonville, such as Red Bryant in 2014, Jared Odrick in 2015 (6-5 301) and Tyson Alualu (6'3 302) took over for an injured Odrick in 2016.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Williams is a 3T pass rusher, Gallimore was drafted to be a 3T pass rusher, Hill was drafted to be a 3T pass rusher, Stephen seems to be bringing back Gerald McCoy who is a 3T pass rusher.

Gallimore & Hill could possibly play some 1T but that just really isn't what they were scouted for.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
Nope

Give me a 33 yr old washed up scrub on day 10 and f free agency on a 1 yr deal we will cut two games one

That’s a proven method!

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I know he used to, but he hasn't made one in a while.

The last "splash" Jerry made that actually paid dividends was Deion Sanders. Further attempts (Galloway, TO, Williams) didn't take the Cowboys anywhere and only one of them (TO) produced at a "splash" level.

Of course, Parcells was so thrilled by the TO signing that he didn't refer to "the player" by name. The Tuna stepped down after that season.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The last "splash" Jerry made that actually paid dividends was Deion Sanders. Further attempts (Galloway, TO, Williams) didn't take the Cowboys anywhere and only one of them (TO) produced at a "splash" level.

Of course, Parcells was so thrilled by the TO signing that he didn't refer to "the player" by name. The Tuna stepped down after that season.

True with all that.