News: DT Malik McDowell talking to the Cowboys?

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
The Dallas FO isn't inclined to welcome the expense level of a contract that McCoy is looking for. This is something that has already been reported quite openly. Are they feeling the pressure of the prospective contracts that they're currently considering? Pretty good chance of that, imho.
our humble opinions match

Toomany10pins

Reaction score
Would be a good pickup
No he wouldn’t be. The guy had a serious concussion issue when his noggin met a tree via an ATV. The tree won the battle.

The guy has a history of making dumb decisions. I doubt he clears medically.

He hasn’t played a down of football in the NFL.

The guy had many red flags coming out of college, my team’s GM ignored them screwed the pooch with that pick.

If you want another headache that won’t be on the field much or at all, sign MM.

Last edited:

Toomany10pins

Reaction score
The Dallas FO isn't inclined to welcome the expense level of a contract that McCoy is looking for. This is something that has already been reported quite openly. Are they feeling the pressure of the prospective contracts that they're currently considering? Pretty good chance of that, imho.
McCoy would be a much better option for you guys.
More expensive but you know he will be on the field and be at least semi-productive.

I would actually be cool with Seattle signing McCoy but I doubt it happens.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And if McCoy signs a one year deal? That argument would be foolhardy.

I’m with you on McCoy, but we’ve got no way of knowing whether they consider him a fit or, if so, whether they’ve made inquiries and the price is just higher than they want to pay. We’ve seen them wait the market out before and then make an offer later when the bidding dies down. The fact that he hasn’t been in for a visit only tells us the money wasn’t close to start out.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
McCoy would be a much better option for you guys.
More expensive but you know he will be on the field and be at least semi-productive.

I would actually be cool with Seattle signing McCoy but I doubt it happens.

There's actually a throng of teams that already are in the running for McCoy.

I think the cost would alarm many of our fans who say they like the idea now.

I seriously doubt the Dallas FO will even go for McDowell, much less McCoy.

Last edited:

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
No he wouldn’t be. The guy had a serious concussion issue when his noggin met a tree via an ATV. The tree won the battle.

The guy has a history of making dumb decisions. I doubt he clears medically.

He hasn’t played a down of football in the NFL.

The guy had many red flags coming out of college, my team’s GM ignored them screwed the pooch with that pick.

If you want another headache that won’t be on the field much or at all, sign MM.
He'll be cheap. If he cant play, cut him. No biggie, however there is potential.

Toomany10pins

Reaction score
He'll be cheap. If he cant play, cut him. No biggie, however there is potential.
He HAD potential. Past tense. Throwing pads and a helmet on the waterboy would be a cheap alternative too with the same likely result. Imho MM is a waste of time and money, but if you or Dallas wants to sign him, that’s your prerogative I guess.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
He HAD potential. Past tense. Throwing pads and a helmet on the waterboy would be a cheap alternative too with the same likely result. Imho MM is a waste of time and money, but if you or Dallas wants to sign him, that’s your prerogative I guess.
Hes 22 years old and was rated arguably the best DT in the draft.

I understand there has been an injury issue but the kid still has potential if hes healthy.

No reason to not bring a guy to camp; if he can win a spot on the 53, then that team essentially just got a rookie DT with potential to be a force.

John813

Reaction score
If the Cowboys turned him down you know that injury must of been bad.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where are the big offers? He left Cleveland with no contract. Ravens haven't made an offer. Also, the beat writer for the Browns (Cabot) said that when all is said and done, a deal with him could come in "under $10 million" which would seemingly refute the stories of him having $11MM+ offers and long term deals on the table.

And none of this excuses why the Cowboys haven't at least kicked the tires on him themselves and brought him in. Foolish front office. He's a guy that takes this DL from good to probably one of the best DLs in football.

How do you know they haven't talked to his agent? It's certainly possible they went that route and decided the asking price was too high. That might be why he hasn't gotten a contract elsewhere.

Sydla

Reaction score
How do you know they haven't talked to his agent? It's certainly possible they went that route and decided the asking price was too high. That might be why he hasn't gotten a contract elsewhere.

But that would tend to support my claim..... the market might be softer than people around here think.

People here suggested he would get snapped up pretty quick and for a good amount of change. It hasn’t happened yet and I suspect part of the reason is McCoy and people here thought the market would be bigger.

The basis of many defending the Cowboys for not kicking the tires on him was he would be too costly. Maybe the cost isn’t as high as you think and what’s really at play here is the time honored Cowboys tradition of thinking their guys are just good enough.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But that would tend to support my claim..... the market might be softer than people around here think.

People here suggested he would get snapped up pretty quick and for a good amount of change. It hasn’t happened yet and I suspect part of the reason is McCoy and people here thought the market would be bigger.

The basis of many defending the Cowboys for not kicking the tires on him was he would be too costly. Maybe the cost isn’t as high as you think and what’s really at play here is the time honored Cowboy tradition of thinking their guys are just good enough.
Yes, it might support the claim that the market for his services isn’t as high as some may think, but it might also go against your claim that there is no reason not to ring him in. Regardless of the market, his asking price is too much it’s too much.

Toomany10pins

Reaction score
LOL at comparing Jaylon Smith to Malik McDowell.
Agreed. Jaylon Smith plays with heart, desire, and brains. I’d take him 100 times out of 100 over MM. I say that not being a Dallas fan. Jaylon Smith could play on my team whenever he wants, the kid is a baller.

MM is good at one thing, cashing paychecks he hasn’t earned.

MM and JS are polar opposites.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Hope he's well. Hope we sign him. We need to move on from Tyrone Crawford. Save that 7 million.

We like our guys.

McDowell was drafted 2 years ago, hasn't played a snap in the NFL, but clearly the Cowboys are stupid for not picking him up. :facepalm:

The Cowboys FO does its share of dumb things but passing on this guy isn't one of them.

Toomany10pins

Reaction score
McDowell was drafted 2 years ago, hasn't played a snap in the NFL, but clearly the Cowboys are stupid for not picking him up. :facepalm:

The Cowboys FO does its share of dumb things but passing on this guy isn't one of them.
Exactly!
If he was such a find Seattle wouldn’t have released him after investing so much into him, and the other 31 teams would be lining up to sign him.