CFZ DT Trysten Hill could surprise

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Trysten Hill will be one of the three 3-tech DT guys I’m looking forward to seeing how it plays out.
Some here either will,.. or already have written him off the roster.

- Barring injury, I still think Trysten has a chance to make this 53 roster as a key rotation guy.
Yes, he is not Quinn’s hand picked draft selection, but neither is Gallimore.

- I don’t think his mini camp impressions is by luck, as it was reported he gave rookie Tyler Smith
some problems vs pass, shouldn't come as a surprised.
Hill is athletic and agile, and can move well off the blocks and in pursuit for one 310 pounds.

- For one over 300 pounds, I even to tend to think in terms of his lateral movement, agility and change of direction may be better than Gallimore.
I think between durability and discipline issues (maturity) , that’s been his biggest issues and setbacks.

- Like Gallimore, he’s been slowed and setback by injuries,
He was benched for most of his rookie year under Marinelli
His 2nd year was immediately shortened by the ACL tear injury
His 3rd year he was very slow to recover off coming off that ACL injury; by mid-season.
It didn't helped by a game suspension per post game Raiders.

You'll just get a bunch of whining in this thread. Maybe 1 of 10 posts that won't be crybaby whining.

Hill has significant physical talent.
- Excellent quickness for a player over 300 pounds.

He was the best DT in 2020 until his injury.
- Better than Gallimore in the games they both played.

He was active over Bohanna in the playoff game.

If he stays healthy in the preseason, he should be in the rotation during the regular season.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would say on half of those he was pushed around.

It jumped out at me and I wasn't even looking for it, i believe I was reviewing the futility fo Gregory in that game.

He took snaps away from Osa (29 snaps). I had forgotten Osa's number and kept seeing 97 flashing all over. It was Osa...the guy has freakish ability imo.

What do pushed around mean?

I like Odighi, but he was directly responsible for 2 of the big runs allowed in the playoff game.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Trysten Hill will be one of the three 3-tech DT guys I’m looking forward to seeing how it plays out.
Some here either will,.. or already have written him off the roster.

- Barring injury, I still think Trysten has a chance to make this 53 roster as a key rotation guy.

- I don’t think his mini camp impressions is by luck, as it was reported he gave rookie Tyler Smith
some problems vs pass, shouldn't come as a surprised.
Hill is athletic and agile, and can move well off the blocks and in pursuit for one 310 pounds.

- For one over 300 pounds, I even to tend to think in terms of his lateral movement, agility and change of direction may be better than Gallimore.
I think between durability and discipline issues (maturity) , that’s been his biggest issues and setbacks.

- Like Gallimore, he’s been slowed and setback by injuries,
He was benched for most of his rookie year under Marinelli
His 2nd year was immediately shortened by the ACL tear injury
His 3rd year he was very slow to recover off coming off that ACL injury; by mid-season.
It didn't helped by a game suspension per post game Raiders.

I would definitely be surprised. I like Hill's hustle. He chases after plays until the whistle. But while he has some quickness to his game for his size, he does not use it well, and that shows up in the lack of numbers he's produced at a high-production position, 3-tech. His two major problems is that he pops up out of his stance, which allows the OL to get into his body and negate his quickness, and he doesn't have great body control. That allows OL to steer him out of the way, whether that's rushing the QB or against the run.

Odighizuwa showed much more promise last year as did Gallimore the year before. Because one of our focuses is fixing the run defense, I believe Hill, a weak run defender, would be beaten out for a roster spot by one of the two massive DTs, Bohanna and Ridgeway. My five are Odighizuwa, Gallimore, Watkins, Ridgeway and Golston. Golston may be counted as an end, but beefed up to 5-tech/3-tech size, and if he is, then I'd expect us to keep Bohanna over Hill, who just doesn't offer enough as a pass rusher to counter his run weaknesses.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm not holding my breath. But he likely has a spot here due to injuries along the line. He's not a starter but in a rotation they will need him when others get injured.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

A 2nd round pick in his contract year "has a chance to make this 53 roster". Sad.

Gallimore is a straight ahead player to me, so Hill having more agility doesn't impress me much. I don't think has half the strength and plays with nowhere near the leverage. I think its likely Hill makes the roster just because we have next to nothing at traditional 3T.

quickccc

Reaction score
I would definitely be surprised. I like Hill's hustle. He chases after plays until the whistle. But while he has some quickness to his game for his size, he does not use it well, and that shows up in the lack of numbers he's produced at a high-production position, 3-tech. His two major problems is that he pops up out of his stance, which allows the OL to get into his body and negate his quickness, and he doesn't have great body control. That allows OL to steer him out of the way, whether that's rushing the QB or against the run.

Odighizuwa showed much more promise last year as did Gallimore the year before. Because one of our focuses is fixing the run defense, I believe Hill, a weak run defender, would be beaten out for a roster spot by one of the two massive DTs, Bohanna and Ridgeway. My five are Odighizuwa, Gallimore, Watkins, Ridgeway and Golston. Golston may be counted as an end, but beefed up to 5-tech/3-tech size, and if he is, then I'd expect us to keep Bohanna over Hill, who just doesn't offer enough as a pass rusher to counter his run weaknesses.

What I still keep in mind is that Trysten is still somewhat short on experience.

Let’s rehash his experience.:
- Marinelli practically sat him out his rookie year. So that was a disruption to his learning experience.
- His 2nd year he went down early with that ACL – which he was flashing penetrating ability before injury.
- And this past year he was slow to recover from that ACL injury.
- If he has a relative solid year, he works himself for a long term contract, either here in Dallas or elsewhere in the NFL.

- Osa, even as a rookie, looks like he has a better knack for leverage
and getting off blocks than Gallimore.
I would guess that has a lot to do with his wrestling background.

- Unlike Gallimore who still plays too high out of his stance that negates leverage
and allows blockers to get into his chest,
Osa already has great flexibility and a great feel for shoulder-hand usage.
Who knows what he can be once he gains more play strength, muscle-bulk,
endurance and game experience.

- But Osa (especially at this stage) may not have Gallimore’s combination of power, bulk and pure athleticism.

- And speaking of Neville, this past very lengthy elbow injury was a huge setback in needed experience for him as well.
Like Trysten, he also didn’t make it back until about mid season.

- I think it was a reason why they didn’t draft a DT early rounds, particularly the 3 tech role.
They really want to give these 3 young guys a chance to develop and evaluate them accordingly.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I saw Hill literally get pushed back 20 yards in a game. I never saw that happen before.
Which game was this? I have them all recorded and would like to go back and find this play you are referring to.. Unless of course it came out of the same part of your body you fart from..

CWR

Reaction score
I’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that Hill was another Marinelli mistake. His days are probably numbered.

Yeah I've lost most hope with Hill. Anything we get will be considered a bonus to me.

quickccc

Reaction score
Golston is an end like Michael Bennett that kicks inside some on pass rush downs.

As an invested 3rd rd pick, I'd certainly hope to have Chauncey to have Michael Bennett like aspirations.

But in all likelihood for a guy that does not have impressive first step get off, or overwhelming power, Golston could end up being
a tweener like Tyrone Crawford, who switches and kicks back and forth to end to DT.
The club supposedly had Golston bulked him up to give him more of a chance to play some DT.

A jack of trades but master of none ?
i admit that among the more front running highly invested DL, i am the least impressed, least expectations
of Golston than Osa, Gallimore or Trysten.

But in all fairness, Chauncey is yet another that was hit and setback because of injuries.
His camps and preseason was completely wiped out, and that had to have disrupted his learning experience,
and he saw spotted time for the most part of the entire season.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
There's some talent to be seen with Tristen Hill, but also some warts to be concerned with. It'll be interesting to see how he manages to extricate himself from the rut he's been into. He has that quick start to his credit. Hopefully, his injury concerns might disappear, as well. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he's able to impress favorably. Anything can happen with him, obviously. His DT position is one that's needy, so his success would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
Hill's problem is he cannot stay healthy even to practice. If he is healthy I like him better than Gallimore.

People seem high on Gallimore for some reason but he was healthy for the last 5 games and the playoffs. He was front and center when our interior DL play was at it's worst.
Remember all the cutback lanes?

- i can only recall Hill's having the ACL injury, ..otherwise what other injuries could you be referring to ..?

- We probably could not name one DT that managed to play well vs the run in the playoffs. We had two guys trying to come back from lengthy injuries in Gallimore, Hill.
Osa was a rookie who despite being very durable all season long, every game, clearly showed signs of wearing down at season's end.
A great offseason program and far more effective support around him should greatly benefit him more so.

- And having no Gallimore, Hill in first half, forcing him to play much more reps. and only the likes of Hamilton did not help matters,
Watkins is just what he is. Barely decent vet 1 tech, which you'd need to have much better.

- Speaking of Gallimore, the play vs Washington where he flat slung the starting center outta the way and penetrated into th backfield for a QB sack. is why people
are so high on Gallimore... We know it's in his ability to be that kind of player, we also know it's about consistency and putting his entire game to work,
in every game, instead of one play for every 4 or 5 games.

- We won't be able to seen none of these guys at their potential until they all have a relatively healthy year.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
What do pushed around mean?

I like Odighi, but he was directly responsible for 2 of the big runs allowed in the playoff game.

Yeah, but he's young yet and there's been hope that this year will be one that shows him favor. He seemed to come around toward year's end, but he needs to anchor better. Hopefully, his offseason dedication will show up better in holding his ground. Same goes for Neville, who needs to avoid injuries.

Last edited:

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Gallimore is 5 times the player trysten hill is. Don't embarass yourselves.

Aven8

Reaction score
Blown off the ball 3-7 yards.

Osa was a rookie...he can make mistakes. He will be a breakout player this year imo. Hill gets no quarter from me.

I actually watched a highlight reel of Micha’s rookie season yesterday and what I noticed is Osa got into the backfield a ton on these highlights. Like Aaron Donald quick.

Reactions: Ken

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think this is it for Hill, he is a FA after this season and he will need to go out and earn the job. Personally I think the odds are against him.

I think his contract situation and being in the final year of his deal is a significant factor against him. The team can keep several young players with upside on the cheap vs having to pay Hill next year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mad mad mad with this guy,

still living off the Tampa D days , nothing new after that,

this guy set us back years with stupid selections - Taco, Hill , and how many else?

Marinelli did SO MUCH DAMAGE to this organization.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we get a positive contribution from him at all I'll be happy, but at this point I certainly don't expect it.