Dumbfounded, perplexed, and confused by the lack of interest in Dez

erod

Reaction score
We've all been hard on Dez at times. We've also lavished him with praise at other times. He's certainly an enigma wrapped in a mystery inside a puzzle.

I supported his release, but I also winced in the process. I knew he wouldn't react well, and I fully expected a feeling out process from the rest of the league.

But there is no way in Hades I thought he'd be sitting at home on September 20th after Week 2. Not a chance in the world.

Just how bad was he in the locker room? What is out there that apparently none of us know? I'm watching 31 other teams ignore his availability without an offer, outside of a made-for-Hard-Knocks meeting with the Browns.

Corey Coleman has been traded and picked up twice. Josh Gordon is making the rounds. BRICE BUTLER was signed here. Several other receivers are getting released and picked up.

How is Dez not paired up with Rodgers in Green Bay or Brady in New England? Those guys and a few others can deliver the type of throws that made him so successful here for so long. Dez is a touchdown-scoring machine with back-shoulder and high-point throws on target.

Meanwhile, crickets on the Dez front. Still.

I'm sitting here thinking, shoot, $2 million for a one-year deal? Bring him back. If nobody wants him for cheap, the Cowboys aren't risking anything by bringing him back in the fold. You can release him if it's not working for nothing because it's a game-by-game payout now.

I repeat, what is out there that we don't know?

Those All-or-Nothing videos did Dez no favors. He looked like a petulant, out-of-control child at times. But Dez is a gamer, too. While he might have a route tree that looks like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree, there's no question about his passion on game day, which is mostly good and sometimes bad.

If you're not strapped to him with a big contract, where's the risk? I just don't get it.

What do we not understand?

John813

Reaction score
1. He did no favors with his outburst on Twitter.
2. He declined in production, regardless of any excuses.
3. Getting close to 30, aka when most players decline in athletic ability. Dez made his money off being an athletic freak. Getting stonewalled by physical corners in 16 didn't help his cause.
4. He had offers, just rejected them.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
How is Dez not paired up with Rodgers in Green Bay or Brady in New England? Those guys and a few others can deliver the type of throws that made him so successful here for so long. Dez is a touchdown-scoring machine with back-shoulder and high-point throws on target.
They may be the QB type Dez needs, but he isn't the WR type they need.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Dez has referenced several times to needing to "get himself right" or something along those lines. He referred to it with the Cleveland visit, and now again with visiting Skip Bayless' show.

Just seems like there is more going on than what meets the surface. He can be a nuisance, but let's be real, his issues are far tamer than those that a Josh Gordon provides. And Dez's last elite season actually happened more recently than Gordon's.

I agree. It's bizarre that he's unsigned.

VACowboy

Reaction score
He's turned down two contracts, one of them for like 7-mil/yr. Not sure what he wants but I thought at the time that cutting him was the right thing to do and nothing since has convinced me otherwise.

erod

Reaction score
He's turned down two contracts, one of them for like 7-mil/yr. Not sure what he wants but I thought at the time that cutting him was the right thing to do and nothing since has convinced me otherwise.
Baltimore denied that they offered that contract, if I understand correctly.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm with the OP in that there is no way I expected him not to sign on with another team. I've read something about him having a couple of offers that he wasn't interested in - if true, I don't know if it was the team or money or both he wasn't interested in - and of course there was the multi year contract offer from the Ravens he rejected back in the Spring. Maybe he is holding out to be paid like an elite receiver, but if that's the case he is holding up being paid at all.

erod

Reaction score
There you go. Erod's real intention finally came out.

So because Dak sucks, Dez got cut cold turkey, and no good team wants to sign him?

Yeah, it's all Dak's fault. Smh

No, I'm just making the point that Dez' lack of production is constantly stated, but Witten and Beasley also had down years. Williams didn't even score a touchdown.

It's not fair to just say Dez regressed. The whole offense regressed.

Scotman

Reaction score
I've been in administration for 20+ years. I have had to work with people who were absolute cancers before. Regardless of what else they bring to the table, they are absolutely demoralizing to the organization as a whole.

I have NO idea if that it what Dez was and it would be ignorant for me to say that he was. IF he was, I can completely understand him not being signed.

aikemirv

Reaction score
We've all been hard on Dez at times. We've also lavished him with praise at other times. He's certainly an enigma wrapped in a mystery inside a puzzle.

I supported his release, but I also winced in the process. I knew he wouldn't react well, and I fully expected a feeling out process from the rest of the league.

But there is no way in Hades I thought he'd be sitting at home on September 20th after Week 2. Not a chance in the world.

Just how bad was he in the locker room? What is out there that apparently none of us know? I'm watching 31 other teams ignore his availability without an offer, outside of a made-for-Hard-Knocks meeting with the Browns.

Corey Coleman has been traded and picked up twice. Josh Gordon is making the rounds. BRICE BUTLER was signed here. Several other receivers are getting released and picked up.

Meanwhile, crickets on the Dez front. Still.

I'm sitting here thinking, shoot, $2 million for a one-year deal? Bring him back. If nobody wants him for cheap, the Cowboys aren't risking anything by bringing him back in the fold. You can release him if it's not working for nothing because it's a game-by-game payout now.

I repeat, what is out there that we don't know?

Those All-or-Nothing videos did Dez no favors. He looked like a petulant, out-of-control child at times. But Dez is a gamer, too. While he might have a route tree that looks like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree, there's no question about his passion on game day, which is mostly good and sometimes bad.

If you're not strapped to him with a big contract, where's the risk? I just don't get it.

What do we not understand?

Let's just give all the Dez bashers another opprotunity to get their dig in!
giphy.gif

John813

Reaction score
Every receiver on the team declined in production last season. That's not necessarily all on Dez.

I hear ya, but every since that deal was signed he didn't put up elite numbers to match his deal.
Maybe it was the foot injury, or Dak not having chemistry/ball placement. But that's just the way the NFL goes sometimes. He didn't put up the type of numbers needed for his contract to be continued on for another year, so off he went.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Every receiver on the team declined in production last season. That's not necessarily all on Dez.

True but then all were not making the money Dez was making, I think Dez has hurt himself with comments within social media (kind of proves point Witten made in his article about players need to stop with the full time twitter, it only hurts them) Dez accusing Lee and Frederick as the reason he was released does not help matters as well as his attacks on Linehan. I think any return would require a lot from Dez in terms of his behavior, to me that would be like telling a player like TO to be quite and just play ball, not going to happen. For me if coaches feel they can handle him then great bring him back on a cap friendly deal if not then so be it.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Who said there was a like of interest? How do we know a few, if not several teams have made contact? In fact, I read a tweet that some NFL people are wondering if he even wanna play again. One thing for sure, his tweets certain don't signal a depressed player desperate for work.