Dumping Directv after 15 years

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I finally decided to dump Directv after 15 years. Ever since they went to AT&T, their service has gotten worse and the prices just as bad. Just decided to go with Sling for now, but thinking about Fubo, but I think it is more expensive. Maybe even PSVue. Suggestions?

Now in order to watch the few Cowboys games that are not nationally televised, has anyone had any experience with the stand-alone Sunday Ticket--via say, Amazon Firestick?

Game Pass pretty much covers it all......

LovinItAll

Reaction score
My .02:

I was one of DirecTv's first 2,100 customers, so I've seen the good, bad, and the ugly. They remain the exponentially better than Comcast, but that doesn't seem to be the issue with the OP. Still. I'll say these things:

- Since the AT&T acquisition, it's been a battle. The 'new' interface has been buggy and slower, not to mention that they dropped a couple of key features that I used regularly (ability to mark and delete groups of programs (instead of one at a a time) and the ability to delete from my history individual PPV titles I've purchased. Let your imagination roll with that one.

- Their streaming has come a long way. I also enjoy the ability to pick up a live program from the beginning if I've forgotten to record it, though I wish I could record after doing so.

- Their android app is okay. At least I can access it and set something to record if I'm away and have forgotten to set it up.

- I get it...streaming services are less expensive and offer a boatload of content. I watch Netflix and Prime all the time, but they just don't have the array of content I want (yet).

- I haven't purchased the NFL Sunday Ticket in three years and still haven't missed a Cowboys game since the late 1980's. There are always a couple of games a year that I have to go out for, but I'm okay with that.

- Price: If you don't stay on top of them, the bill can skyrocket quickly. I get almost everything (all the premium movie channels), regional sports, 451 shopping stations (never used one), plus everything else in their Ultimate package for ~$125/month. That includes 4 Genies, but no 4k. To continue getting that rate, I have to call in periodically and get customer retention on the phone. You **cannot** get the best deal unless you get CR on the horn and can convince them that you are willing to walk away if you don't get what you want.

They give their best deals to new customers and then it's based on your account's longevity, with preferential treatment going to accounts with longer history. I think they have 4 tiers of 'longevity'. There isn't anything you can do to improve your position with regard to this...I'm just conveying what I've learned through the years.

My GF has Comcast and it's terrible compared to DTV, but again, I realize that isn't what this thread is about.

Best of luck, and Go Cowboys!!!

cavemanct

Reaction score
DirecTV will call you back and beg. Buddy of mine cancels every year, just to get a discount. He once had premium w/ NFL package for $10 a month for 10 months.
Not anymore. They could care less. It's Att now

Cmac

Reaction score
I have to agree.....Customer service stinks. I'm about to hit the cancel but too.....17 years and getting worse.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I finally decided to dump Directv after 15 years. Ever since they went to AT&T, their service has gotten worse and the prices just as bad. Just decided to go with Sling for now, but thinking about Fubo, but I think it is more expensive. Maybe even PSVue. Suggestions?

Now in order to watch the few Cowboys games that are not nationally televised, has anyone had any experience with the stand-alone Sunday Ticket--via say, Amazon Firestick?
I had them for 2 years and couldn't wait for my contract to end...one thing that was really bad was their online availability. it never worked. it was clunky and unreliable. not sure how 1000 other streaming services can get it right and they screwed it up so bad.

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score

This is my last year with them unless they cut me a deal. PSVue is awesome. So is Youtube TV but they don't have NFL Network.

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
I have to agree.....Customer service stinks. I'm about to hit the cancel but too.....17 years and getting worse.
my biggest issue is they will cut me a deal and they don't follow through with it. So I have to call back and have them listen to the recording...so annoying.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My .02:

I was one of DirecTv's first 2,100 customers, so I've seen the good, bad, and the ugly. They remain the exponentially better than Comcast, but that doesn't seem to be the issue with the OP. Still. I'll say these things:

- Since the AT&T acquisition, it's been a battle. The 'new' interface has been buggy and slower, not to mention that they dropped a couple of key features that I used regularly (ability to mark and delete groups of programs (instead of one at a a time) and the ability to delete from my history individual PPV titles I've purchased. Let your imagination roll with that one.

- Their streaming has come a long way. I also enjoy the ability to pick up a live program from the beginning if I've forgotten to record it, though I wish I could record after doing so.

- Their android app is okay. At least I can access it and set something to record if I'm away and have forgotten to set it up.

- I get it...streaming services are less expensive and offer a boatload of content. I watch Netflix and Prime all the time, but they just don't have the array of content I want (yet).

- I haven't purchased the NFL Sunday Ticket in three years and still haven't missed a Cowboys game since the late 1980's. There are always a couple of games a year that I have to go out for, but I'm okay with that.

- Price: If you don't stay on top of them, the bill can skyrocket quickly. I get almost everything (all the premium movie channels), regional sports, 451 shopping stations (never used one), plus everything else in their Ultimate package for ~$125/month. That includes 4 Genies, but no 4k. To continue getting that rate, I have to call in periodically and get customer retention on the phone. You **cannot** get the best deal unless you get CR on the horn and can convince them that you are willing to walk away if you don't get what you want.

They give their best deals to new customers and then it's based on your account's longevity, with preferential treatment going to accounts with longer history. I think they have 4 tiers of 'longevity'. There isn't anything you can do to improve your position with regard to this...I'm just conveying what I've learned through the years.

My GF has Comcast and it's terrible compared to DTV, but again, I realize that isn't what this thread is about.

So let's talk price... I have almost a similar set up as you. No premium channels. Did you have to bundle? Because I've got all these ATT products along with DTV and I hate the idea of bundling to get a better deal. But all of them combined and I'm paying almost a car note for a new car. lol

CowboysRule

Reaction score
I used to have DirecTV. I originally got it mainly for the Sunday Ticket. As I've aged I watch less and less TV outside of football so I was basically at the point I was paying $80/month for the few channels I watched for a total of a couple hours a week. It just wasn't worth it. I eventually called and asked how much it was to cancel early. They told me I was out of my contract so there would be no fee. I said great, cancel it, which they did. About a week later I get a bill from them with an early disconnect fee. I call them, explain what happened, and they basically would not remove the fee. They would not even listen to the call (since they are all recorded for quality purposes) so they could hear the person tell me there would be no fee without a court order. I never paid it, it went to collections, I talked to them a few times, never paid them. They eventually went away, nothing on my credit. So basically, after all that I will never sign back up with them.

I use Hulu and Kodi with plugins for all my TV needs. I watch football with internet streams. The first year I had a paid service ($60 for a year with all games, all sports), now I just use free streams on Reddit. Never looked back. It was just wasting money each month with them.

birdwells1

Reaction score

Man, I had them for 10 years and just switched over to Xfinity. Ever since At&t bought them things have changed, I used to get the Sunday Ticket throw in because I was a loyal customer but it's been harder to get every year since ATT. This year they refused so being that the Ticket was the only reason I was with them I figured it was time. They are some good IPTVs out there, I have one but have never had to use it but I'm going to give it a try this year.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
go here about an hour before the game
https://www.reddit.com/r/nflstreams/
there are some ad that you need to deal with
they try to sneak some ad pages on adjacent pages or other pages.
but it is easy to learn to deal with them.
Here's a tip for using R/NFLStreams...................use your windows PC. The mobile streams can be very fickle. I've used my PC with an hdmi cable in the past with streams that are real real close to HD.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I can't believe some paid cash money for 15 years of ****. Also, Direct TV NEVER calls anyone. They may send flyers but I've never had them call me.

NFL game pass for 100 bucks a year and you get all the games, several other shows and All 22. You can watch every game all season long whenever you want. The games are NOT live but.......that works well for me. I don't have to lose 3 hours in the middle of the day. I can sit down and relax with no interruptions or rushing to get things done. You can also watch a condensed version. Both are commercial free.......game in it's entirety or condensed. (You can watch the game as soon as it ends.)

100 bucks a year is probably a lot less than you were paying monthly.

As for local channels I use the existing cable already wired into my home with an external antenna that's good for a hundred miles then added Roku, if you don't have a smart TV, for Hulu, YouTube, Netflix, etc. Way cheaper than the crap that providers offer and force you into bundles that you don't want or need.

My two cents........

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
As someone who works for one of their biggest competitors I congratulate you on making the right choice.

Many long time DirectTV customers are seeing the light. :D

birdwells1

Reaction score
My .02:

Xfinity/Comcast was just installed at my house Tuesday, I've been working so I haven't had time to mess with it but it seems ok to me. I had DTV for 10 years and was always able to get the ST Max for free until this year and when i said that I would cancel they said ok. I was really using that as a negotiating tactic and schedule my disconnect 3 weeks out but I got to looking around and Xfinity was offering a combo of home phone, 400 mpbs speed internet and tv for 139.99. I called my friend who has Xfinity and he told me that they also have an app that you can upload to your Roku/Firestick that allows you to watch tv so you don't have to rent all those boxes.

To wrap it up, i got tired of paying DTV that amount and the Xfinity deals was too good to pass up. P.s I also purchased my own modem/router combo so I won't have to pay the monthly expenses for that either.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Try to get a digital antenna, at the very least. If you're going to be converting to streaming services, it's nice to at least have local channels on the antenna for backup if the internet ever goes out. I prefer using the antenna to watch FOX, NBC, ABC, CBS anyway because the picture looks better and there's no delay vs. streaming.

Signal strength depends on where you live but if you're not in the middle of nowhere, you should be able to pick up most of those channels.

Then, you can get a streaming device like a Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, etc. and use a streaming TV service to get traditional cable channels.

Those alternative website streams mentioned are also an option if you want to pull it up on your computer and hook it up to your TV via HDMI or Chromecast. You have to always be prepared with the fact that it depends on the availability of the streams/quality and also they could be shutdown at anytime (the one for NBA Streams was shutdown recently).

rynochop

Reaction score
I'd love to know which redditt stream you guys use..the few times I've tried it, there's a million options and they all just lead to ads or sign in pages