Eagles expected to pick up Nick Foles' $20M option

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the Eagles tag him any team he's traded to would have to assume the tagged salary. So while they would ultimately want to negotiate a deal, Foles would have crazy leverage in negotiations because would be getting paid $25 mil+ for the year regardless, the team would be out a pick, and he could go back into free agency next year if he doesn't get what he wants.

Any deal where they give up a third round pick or higher would assume he signs long term. On a long term deal he’ll get a signing bonus+first year salary that’ll dwarf 30m year 1 money... even if it does round out to 20m a year or a bit less.

jsb357

Reaction score
Could work. After all, he is Elite

He is Elite, but he ain't no Eli.

Flamma

Reaction score
They can't keep him one more year unless they restructure a ton of contracts or start cutting key players.

I mean it's possible they could keep him for a year but the cap problems that would create makes it unlikely.

If that's the case, wouldn't teams be better off just waiting for him to hit FA?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Yep, he opted out as expected

Now the ball is in Philly’s court. Will they tag or not?
Interesting indeed...... PHI is 5m under the cap after Foles opts out ,,,,,,,they should get a 2m credit for Foles' buyout

If they Tag Foles they have to have at least 25m in Cap Space..... that means several cuts and restructures just so they can trade him..... getting that extra 18m should be pretty painless and they will get it back when traded but it severely limits them in FA

Fwed

Reaction score
I did and they will have problems down the road.
I full expect them to trade Foles to get the $20 million CAP relief.
You didn’t play right then. Remove Foles and Jason Peters and look at future years. Now wentz will be a challenge but Howie will navigate it appropriately.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
You didn’t play right then. Remove Foles and Jason Peters and look at future years. Now wentz will be a challenge but Howie will navigate it appropriately.

Good luck in that mine field when you have a lot of high profile UFA players looking to get their pay day.

C42

Reaction score
Nice joke post.
Most non-Dallas/Eagle fans think Wentz would start over Dak. When discussing the best QB of that class the conversation comes down to the #1/#2 picks of that class, Dak is the third best QB of that class (which isn't a bad think for a mid-round pick). My favorite QB of that class was actually Brissett. I wanted Philly to stay at #8 for Zeke and draft Brissett later. Thankfully we didn't do that since Zeke probably doesn't make it to #8 anyway.

Willfreedom909

Reaction score
Most non-Dallas/Eagle fans think Wentz would start over Dak. When discussing the best QB of that class the conversation comes down to the #1/#2 picks of that class, Dak is the third best QB of that class (which isn't a bad think for a mid-round pick). My favorite QB of that class was actually Brissett. I wanted Philly to stay at #8 for Zeke and draft Brissett later. Thankfully we didn't do that since Zeke probably doesn't make it to #8 anyway.
Yes and no.

Brisset is great but it’s

Dak
Goff
Wentz

In terms of ability

Willfreedom909

Reaction score
Let's be honest, if we took a poll of fans around the league Dak would be third on most ballots.
Who cares what the league thinks. The league thought Brady was only worthy of the last pick in the draft.

Results>bias expectations

Dak produces better results than wentz