Twitter: Eagles releasing LB Kendricks

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Jimmy wasn't hired by ANY NFL team before Jerry. Basic facts.
He and Jerry chose each other.

Jimmy took 3 average Miami teams to the playoffs with average records. Cowboys fans tell us 9-7 is awful. Keep up.
The Dolphins won 19 games in the 2 years before Jimmy was hired and then 17 in his first 2 seasons. They were mediocre and stayed mediocre.

Jimmy wanted Steve Walsh over Troy Aikman. You can't say anything about QBs as related to Jimmy. The solitary good one he ever drafted was forced on him by Ackles/Jerry.

The 1995 team had a leading passer of Aikman, a leading receiver of Irvin and a RG names Larry Allen that was a rookie Non-Jimmy draftee.
It also had this CB named Deion Sanders who was signed away form San Francisco.
So 4 Hall of Famers weren't even Jimmy added players.

Aikman and Irvin may not have been drafted by Jimmy, but they were Jimmy's players. Jimmy also tried to recruit Deion in the offseason. LA may not have been drafted by Jimmy but he is a Jimmy type player, e.g. Leon Lett.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
  • Well pff almost gave him an elite grade, shooooooot that’s pretty dang good but it’s PFF
  • Has insight in the opponent’s defensive schemes
  • Might be expensive though

3027_BD91-_B345-4831-9815-_FC5_D7_F31_E065.png

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Aikman and Irvin may not have been drafted by Jimmy, but they were Jimmy's players. Jimmy also tried to recruit Deion in the offseason. LA may not have been drafted by Jimmy but he is a Jimmy type player, e.g. Leon Lett.
dude ....... nonsense, lol.
Irvin was a Jimmy guy at Miami but he was drafted before Jimmy or Jerry were Cowboys. Michael Irvin is a Jerry guy. He's as Jerry as a player gets.
His HOF presenter was JERRY JONES.
Guess who presented Emmitt Smith? Ding, Ding. Ding.
Troy Aikman? He went with Norv Turner.

Not a single Dallas Cowboys or anyone has been presented for the HOF by Jimmy Johnson.

Troy was NOT a Jimmy guy. Jimmy wanted Steve Walsh and he lost that battle to Bob Ackles and Jerry back then.
He didn't think Troy was a "winner". Those are his own words.

Jimmy wasn't recruiting Deion. Deion recruited himself to Jerry. Jimmy never did sign checks and Deion's move was about money. Jimmy was fired in March man. March. Deion himself will tell you he didn't need to talk to any coaches, he went straight to Jerry. Cut the check. Jerry did. If anything that signing set Dallas back 10 years as Deion gave Jerry full confidence he was an NFL GM for real.

LA has zero to do with Jimmy and had zero connection to him. He was an all-time great that any Coach woulda loved but he had zero ties to Jimmy. Like Deion boosting Jerry, the LA drafting boosted Lacewell. Jerry gave him more control over personnel and believed in him for years following that even though he drafted precious few decent players much less good or great ones.

Would Jerry have won SBs without ever hiring Jimmy?
Probably not.

Would Jimmy had won a title elsewhere in the NFL?
Probably not.

But Jimmy apologists who tell you he walks on water are insane. He is a career 55% winning percentage coach who won Super Bowls before the salary cap existed and never got passed the Divisional round in 4 years in is hand selected and lobbied for Dolphin job.
He didn't want to be in Dallas anymore and didn't want the grind so he got the friction going and got the buy out he wanted.
Then he hand picked his next gig only to jog in place because he never was an offensive coach.

His first staff in Dallas had recruited all the top talent in the country so they knew the draft cold. Joe Brodsky was standing on a table beating it for Emmitt Smith. Jimmy had wanted to draft a LB but they were taken so he traded down. Emmitt kept falling and they finally went up and got him.

What Jimmy does better than anyone maybe ever has is identify DBs. He could grab 6th round DBs every year who could start in this league. He had a special eye for DBs and he was way ahead of the curve loving smaller, faster LBs.

But offensively, Jimmy didn't have any acumen at all. And that showed up again in Miami

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
  • Well pff almost gave him an elite grade, shooooooot that’s pretty dang good but it’s PFF
  • Has insight in the opponent’s defensive schemes
  • Might be expensive though

3027_BD91-_B345-4831-9815-_FC5_D7_F31_E065.png
That's the biggest issue with grading a guy like they do.
Provided he hits a minimum snaps requirement he is judges same as a full time starter lie Sean Lee.
Philly used him in roles he could excel in.
As a 60% of the time guy he graded very well.
Another guy may grade lower but play 10 more snaps a game because he's actually better.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Price showed me he can penetrate last year before he got hurt. I think they view Malik Collins as the future at 1tech. The FO has never spent big money on that position though.
They just don't view 1tech or safety as positions to spend big bucks on.

Few agree, but I thought Collins is a good fit for what Marinelli wants at 1tech. Needs a little more sand in the pants, but can get low and penetrate.

People are higher on Price than I am. Maybe you all are right. We'll see. We could certainly use him at 1tech.

I think they're not high on 1tech because most are 2 down players who don't provide enough rush. The ones who do are very expensive. So we cheap out on the ones who don't, and spend money elsewhere. Which is quite reasonable.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I don't know that we do have the cap space. That cap space you see is only counting our top 51 players. Once you add the draft choices we're actually over the cap by 2M. So we won't be keeping all of them.

Philly right now is the only team over the top 51 cap.
I would check in with the @Nightman on those figures. He's got different cap numbers than this and, I have to say, I trust him on this subject.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
That's the biggest issue with grading a guy like they do.
Provided he hits a minimum snaps requirement he is judges same as a full time starter lie Sean Lee.
Philly used him in roles he could excel in.
As a 60% of the time guy he graded very well.
Another guy may grade lower but play 10 more snaps a game because he's actually better.
Good point
I would check in with the @Nightman on those figures. He's got different cap numbers than this and, I have to say, I trust him on this subject.
and I trust you

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score

C42

Reaction score
Wasn't there a rumor back when Chip was there that involved a trade around Kendricks and Dion Jordan?
I thought it was Graham and Jordon. Regardless, thank god it didn’t happen xD

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
He's not going to sign at a place where he won't start, and with Lee, Jaylon, and LVE, our starting backers look pretty set.

Now if they'll all stay healthy is a very fair question. But Kendricks is probably looking for guaranteed snaps somewhere, and he's good enough to get them.

C42

Reaction score
We need someone to ask the real questions, like “If he’s so good, why is he available?”
Not a scheme fit for us. Was/is better as a ILB in a 3-4. Also, we only used 3 LBs on the field about 30% of the time. Jenkins played LB more than S this year. Kendricks got more playing time once Hicks went down. I like Kendricks but he’s wasn’t worth the money for our scheme. Good depth for if Hicks goes down again but that kinda money isn’t worth a paying a player to provide depth.

C42

Reaction score
By cutting Kendricks with a post-June 1st designation, Philly saves 6M on the cap and only kills 1.6M vs. 4.4M saved and 3.2M dead. Also, they are hoping Corey Nelson grabs the starting spot, especially because if Hicks is healthy, Kendricks would not be happy with the cut into his playing time. If you watch the Eagles they run their D at times with only two LB's anyway.
Hit it on the nail.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
jimmy took over the worst team in football, and in 5 years won as many superbowls as landry did in 29 years. when jimmy left, he left behind a great team able to win another superbowl 2 years later. when landry left (was fired) he left behind the worst team in football. glean from that what you will.
Takes two to tango. They were great together, mediocre apart.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
He’s a run-stopping, blitzing linebacker. He isn’t very good in coverage, and is taken off the field in third down. He got his deal because he’s an ideal 3-4 ILB, and was cut because he only plays about half the time when we weren’t in nickel in a pass-happy league.