Twitter: Eagles sign Wentz to 4 year extension for $128 million

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I agree but if you compare Dak 3 years in the league and that of another QB at that same point of their career I have no issue with it, but when you compare a 14 year vet to a 3rd year player that is a different.
Like saying Brady numbers as a 3rd year QB is not as good as Brady numbers became as he continued to grow and develop into the HOF QB he has become.

:clap:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Morons judge a QB on wins alone - why put yourself in that camp?

As I believe it was Herm Edwards said "You play to win the game"

I never said it was wins ALONE that a quarterback is judged by, I assumed you knew that I didn't have to list every single attribute that a quarterback is judged by, but if it needs clarification, then it's "wins far and away over anything else"...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Because Dak has already proven he’s a winner. Only the GOAT has more wins since Dak entered the league 3 years ago, and no QB has more game-winning drives during that period.

The Cowboys could have signed Dak for $30 million a year. Now they will likely have to pay $32 million. Next year it could be $35 million if he has a good season. It’s always a risk signing a player to a big contract, but it’s also a risk if they don’t and the price continues to go up.
It’s laughable to use that team stat measuring Dak to Brady. You don’t see anyone using the same team wins stat of last 3 years comparing Garrett to Belichick. Lol

I’m fine with extending Dak but it should be more comparable to other QB’s with his personal stat line.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
He must be the only QB in history that his college program made a national title game without him and his nfl team won a Super Bowl without him. Yet people are still calling him a top MVP candidate.

Just laughable.

It’s not laughable because he had led his college team to the national title game previous to that, and ultimately was the reason they won it in the year he missed time. And he has already been a leading MVP candidate in the NFL. Both of those things are factors in people’s opinions of him when they say he was a winner in college, when they say him coming in healthy to training camp could be another MVP campaign.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s not laughable because he had led his college team to the national title game previous to that, and ultimately was the reason they won it in the year he missed time. And he has already been a leading MVP candidate in the NFL. Both of those things are factors in people’s opinions of him when they say he was a winner in college, when they say him coming in healthy to training camp could be another MVP campaign.

A first MVP campaign. I’m not knocking his talent, but Eagles fans like to give him credit for an award he never won.

HungryLion

Reaction score

No. It’s laughable to think he is the “most valuable player” on teams that didn’t skip a beat, and they made and won title games without him.

How valuable can you be when your team still wins it all without you.

So yeah. Him getting injured and the eagles being fine without him. Proves that he wasn’t the most valuable player. Crystal clear.

And his program at North Dakota? Did fine without him when he was injured and has done great without him since he left. Winning 2 championships in the past 3 years since he has been gone.

So yep, laughable.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
No. It’s laughable to think he is the “most valuable player” on teams that didn’t skip a beat, and they made and won title games without him.

How valuable can you be when your team still wins it all without you.

So yeah. Him getting injured and the eagles being fine without him. Proves that he wasn’t the most valuable player. Crystal clear.

And his program at North Dakota? Did fine without him when he was injured and has done great without him since he left. Winning 2 championships in the past 3 years since he has been gone.

So yep, laughable.

Steve Young won NFL mvp the year joe Montana got hurt. Won the Super Bowl right after he got traded. That doesn’t in any way diminish Joe’s legacy, whether or no you’re trying to imply it does. You can be an mvp candidate on a loaded team and have a quality backup who can pick up the slack.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Steve Young won NFL mvp the year joe Montana got hurt. Won the Super Bowl right after he got traded. That doesn’t in any way diminish Joe’s legacy, whether or no you’re trying to imply it does. You can be an mvp candidate on a loaded team and have a quality backup who can pick up the slack.

No. It’s just laughable to try and call somebody the most valuable player when they get hurt and the team doesn’t skip a beat without them.

The team winning a championship without the player is great proof of their real value to a team.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Actually Watson was leading MVP until he got hurt, that allowed Wentz to be in that spot. So if Wentz lovers are going to use that then they just use it for everybody.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Actually Watson was leading MVP until he got hurt, that allowed Wentz to be in that spot. So if Wentz lovers are going to use that then they just use it for everybody.

Actually you’re wrong. Deshaun Watson played 7 games his rookie year, and was shelved before the end of October. Here is an October article saying Alex Smith was the clear MVP favorite:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...rson-wentz-tom-brady-drew-brees-top-our-board

Here’s another October one saying Tom Brady over Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...offensive-defensive-players-year-best-rookies

Another October one saying it was Aaron Rodgers over Wentz and Hunt:

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/m....-rankings-race-brady-kareem-hunt-rodgers-bkbk

Yet another October one saying Carson is the front runner:

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2017/10/eagles_carson_wentz_is_now_the_favorite_to_win_nfl.html

Hey, look at that! not 2 week before Deshaun’s injury. Carson Wentz in top 3:

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/te...tson-has-fourth-best-odds-to-win-nfl-mvp/amp/

This one published after week 6, 1 week before Watson is injured. Carson again:

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...ix-weeks-2017-season-philadelphia-quarterback

And immediately after Watson’s final game, before injury, and it’s still carson Wentz:

http://tailgatesportsentertainment.com/page/50/?konkyrsyu=como-conocer-mujeres-youtube&50e=db

And right after Deshaun’s last game, before practice injury, this website put Deshaun in the MVP race, but reiterated, “To place a title such as Most Valuable Player on a player after one game is an overreaction.”:

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...6/deshaun-watson-has-entered-the-nfl-mvp-race

Again, right after Deshaun’s final game, but before practice injury, Watson is RotY, but Carson is decisive MVP:

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...ookie-of-the-year-carson-wentz-deshaun-watson

And finally, an ESPN poll the week before Carson got hurt, his award to lose:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...rson-wentz-tom-brady-drew-brees-top-our-board

Not one article even mentions Deshaun as runner up. Not even top 3. He was having a great year, shoe in for RotY. Carson was pulling away for MVP.

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
so does this same logic apply to Wentz....just wondering?

HungryLion

Reaction score
I will clarify my statement.

Wentz was playing great in 2017. He was. No denying that. He was having a fantastic season before the injury.

That being said, Him being injured and the eagles TEAM still being good enough to get through the playoffs and win a Super Bowl without him. Plus the history of his college program being just as successful without him. Kind of points to him not really being the MOST VALUABLE player in the entire league.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score

Wentz was playing great in 2017. He was. No denying that. He was having a fantastic season before the injury.

That being said, Him being injured and the eagles TEAM still being good enough to get through the playoffs and win a Super Bowl without him. Plus the history of his college program being just as successful without him. Kind of points to him not really being the MOST VALUABLE player in the entire league.
Most effective use of capitalization. I agree with your points and nice job man.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
It’s laughable to use that team stat measuring Dak to Brady. You don’t see anyone using the same team wins stat of last 3 years comparing Garrett to Belichick. Lol

I’m fine with extending Dak but it should be more comparable to other QB’s with his personal stat line.
Do you think he should get a contract comparable to Nick Foles?

Blue&Silver

Reaction score

That Eagles team that played during the regular season especially the first half, and the Eagles team nearing the playoffs were very different teams. Last year the reason Wentz was rushed back was because Foles for the most part was not effective his first 2 games? Or did he play 3? I don't remember specifics I just remember the struggles, and the media/fans complaining about Foles.

The MVP goes to the player with the best season not whether his team can succeed without him for a short period of time. At the time he got hurt Wentz was coasting towards MVP fairly easily. No matter how you explain it that's not going to change. Teams don't give the most guaranteed money in the history of the NFL to a player if they don't think they are one of the best at their positions.

It would be nice if folks would stop obsessing over Wentz versus Prescott and start focusing on the season, and the players we have. When I go over to the Eagles boards I never see them comparing Wentz, and Prescott. We have the best franchise in the NFL and our fans are acting like jilted lovers with an inferiority complex. How about they are both pretty good quarterbacks?

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Yes... let's see how it's structured.

And the structure is now posted on the main section of this board. Howie Roseman gave himself a backdoor in 2020 to get out of almost all of it. No other qb making even 20m$ has a contract like that. That’s why Howie is a god.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
And the structure is now posted on the main section of this board. Howie Roseman gave himself a backdoor in 2020 to get out of almost all of it. No other qb making even 20m$ has a contract like that. That’s why Howie is a god.

I’m not sure any other top ten QB would sign that.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Credit where credit is due. Very interesting contract.

Birdgang

Reaction score
No. It’s just laughable to try and call somebody the most valuable player when they get hurt and the team doesn’t skip a beat without them.

The team winning a championship without the player is great proof of their real value to a team.

You are confused .... when we talk about Wentz and MVP .... Its Most Valuable Patient :(