Twitter: Eagles sign Wentz to 4 year extension for $128 million

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by QuincyCarterEra, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

38,194 Messages
    55,040 Likes Received
    Why?

I mean in all honestly, around the league, most people think Wentz is the better QB or at least the one with the higher ceiling. So this idea that the Cowboys HAVE to pay Dak more makes little sense to me. Don't get stupid because some other team got stupid.

2. Corso

Corso Offseason mode... sleepy time

21,281 Messages
    36,225 Likes Received
    Yeah... you step in and negotiate while the agent laughs in your face.
    Then you dig in and your team gets less talented. Maybe for years.

Fastpitch Dad likes this.
  3. Floatyworm

Floatyworm The Labeled One

11,356 Messages
    9,253 Likes Received
    Only the Eagles could pull off something so stupid....:omg:

Jerry Jones " Hold my beer...watch this Dak extention."

WillieBeamen likes this.
  4. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

38,194 Messages
    55,040 Likes Received
    But using the logic by some here, the Cowboys should absolutely pay Cooper that and more because hey, his contract wont be so bad in like 3 years.

Captain-Crash and WillieBeamen like this.
  5. Reality

Reality Staff Member

21,205 Messages
    35,091 Likes Received
    No matter what Wentz's potential is, the fact they just guaranteed $107 of that $128 million to a player with his injury history is mind boggling.

It's the same reason I was okay with Romo leaving. Romo was great, but only when he was on the field.

Regardless of what Dak does or does not do, his playing history so far at least is that he stays on the field.

That was the main reason that no one talks about when it comes to bringing Witten back despite his age and drop in performance. He was on the field every week.

If you are going to spend a lot of money on a player, they need to be able to play.

408Cowboy, Techsass, dogunwo and 8 others like this.
  6. TrailBlazer

TrailBlazer Well-Known Member

5,528 Messages
    3,124 Likes Received
    Thats 4th highest paid in the league average annual salary. Below rodgers and right above matt ryan. Not nearly as much as it couldve been if they waited a year to do it. Modest.

7. Captain-Crash

Captain-Crash Well-Known Member

4,528 Messages
    4,704 Likes Received
    "screw you guys, I'm going to lay on my bed and stare at my Dak fathead over my bed." "granny bring me a grape soda and more lotion."

8. BigCatMonaco

BigCatMonaco Well-Known Member

1,064 Messages
    1,551 Likes Received

Assuming he played up to the highest level he’s ever shown as a pro and finished the season healthy, which he’s only ever done 1/3 of the time.

9. kumizi

kumizi Well-Known Member

1,943 Messages
    2,628 Likes Received
    It's really a matter of perspective.

I agree with everything you said.

But one could also make the argument that if you're going to pay that kind of money, the guy should have elite potential. In the season Wentz got hurt, he and Brady were the favorites to win MVP at the time. So an Eagles fan would say Wentz has at least flashed top 5 QB in the NFL potential. Even the biggest Cowboys supported wouldn't put Dak's ceiling up there.

Fastpitch Dad and visionary like this.
  10. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

8,064 Messages
    5,110 Likes Received
    Its 6 year contract in which he will avg $25.7 million year. Incredibly cheap imo.

11. jjtrcka22

jjtrcka22 Active Member

137 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    It's getting to the point where you just have to hope on drafting the right QB every 5 years and trying to keep good pieces around that QB. By right QB, I mean above average.

With the money QBs cost now, they need to be able to carry a team, because their will not be enough money for a competent team around them.

MonsterD, Fastpitch Dad and aria like this.
  12. DuncanIso

DuncanIso Well-Known Member

1,546 Messages
    1,168 Likes Received
    We sign Dak to a deal like that and we can forget about having a salary cap friendly team.

Fastpitch Dad likes this.
  13. Reality

Reality Staff Member

21,205 Messages
    35,091 Likes Received
    What good is potential though if he cannot last the entire season? Foles is not there to cover for him now.

Again, I'm not really saying that from a performance standpoint, he's not worthy of the contract, but rather until he shows he can remain on the field I do not see this as a smart signing right now.

14. Jake

Jake Curmudgeon

16,181 Messages
    29,039 Likes Received
    It wasn't long ago that Matthew Stafford had the richest contract in NFL history.

Welcome to the 21st century.

15. TrailBlazer

TrailBlazer Well-Known Member

5,528 Messages
    3,124 Likes Received
    They seem to think he can. Hope they're wrong.

16. dckid

dckid Well-Known Member

924 Messages
    768 Likes Received
    Oh well. Congrats Dak!!!

17. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

16,354 Messages
    12,777 Likes Received
    It is a 4 yr extension that goes into effect after the remaining 2 yrs of his existing contract. So it is $32M per year. Sure you can say it is $25M over the next 6 yrs but that is not the contract.

Cover 2, Bcrav4 and Corso like this.
  18. Corso

Corso Offseason mode... sleepy time

21,281 Messages
    36,225 Likes Received
    "screw you guys, I'm going to lay on my bed and pretend Wentz has done something in the NFL and not Foles. Let me stare at some 70's Playboys now with the hairy hairies."

19. Hardline

Hardline Well-Known Member

10,310 Messages
    16,355 Likes Received
    If I am Jerry, the Wentz contract means nothing to me. I put an offer to Dak on the table and if he walks away from it then franchise him and tell Mike White to get ready as fast as he can.

20. InTheZone

InTheZone Well-Known Member

3,998 Messages
    3,431 Likes Received
    eagles trolling the heck out of us. I wonder how many teams are just hoping we top that lol