Eagles tried to stop Cowboys and Lions from hosting Thanksgiving Day games

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
tenor.gif

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The NFL and networks know the Cowboys are huge ratings in any game, especially on Thanksgiving, which means the networks can charge a lot more for the ads in those games. Half the viewers tune in hoping the Cowboys win while the other half tunes in hoping they lose.

The Lions on the other hand do not offer that but they are tied to the Cowboys on Thanksgiving through history and tradition so if the NFL ever took it away from the Lions, then it would open them up to having to replace the Cowboys soon after.

The bottom line is that with NFL ratings declining in recent years, if fans ever stop watching Thanksgiving games .. for any reason, it's unlikely they will get them back in the future no matter what moves they make, so the last thing they want to do is change or remove the Cowboys and Lions from those games.

I think the NFL adding a third game deflated (pun intended) any chance, at least in the near future, of the league removing the Cowboys from Thanksgiving Day or even taking the home game away from them.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Hold on chief

Why tho?

The only issue I’ve ever had with it was if the NFL Network night game happened to be NFC that year, it could be 6 straight NFC teams on Thanksgiving, as it was last year. So odds are slim that a Jacksonville or a Baltimore will ever get to play on Thanksgiving, and when they do the next time could be decades away.

I think a better proposal would be to simply add games on thanksgiving. Have the lions at 1 on fox, cowboys at 4:15, then on CBS have 2 AFC games, then nbc gets the night game. What you could do with this is make the cowboys and lions games always divisional to give them stakes and highlight rivalries, because you don’t have to worry about rotating in the other 30 teams just for those two games.

Make it like the nba on Christmas where it’s more of a special event than just “here’s a tradition where a couple games are randomly during thanksgiving.”

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The NFL and networks know the Cowboys are huge ratings in any game, especially on Thanksgiving, which means the networks can charge a lot more for the ads in those games. Half the viewers tune in hoping the Cowboys win while the other half tunes in hoping they lose.

The Lions on the other hand do not offer that but they are tied to the Cowboys on Thanksgiving through history and tradition so if the NFL ever took it away from the Lions, then it would open them up to having to replace the Cowboys soon after.

The bottom line is that with NFL ratings declining in recent years, if fans ever stop watching Thanksgiving games .. for any reason, it's unlikely they will get them back in the future no matter what moves they make, so the last thing they want to do is change or remove the Cowboys and Lions from those games.

I think the NFL adding a third game deflated (pun intended) any chance, at least in the near future, of the league removing the Cowboys from Thanksgiving Day or even taking the home game away from them.
BOOM!!! This ^^^^

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When the NFL wanted to add another game on T-day, Dallas stepped up to do it, and did for a while, except in I think 1974. Then no teams still wanted it so Tex Schramm told the NFL Dasllas will do it in 1975. On the condition they get a game every year until they decide not to do it anymore. And the NFL agreed.

So then after years of success is when Lamar Hunt started his whining, but he wanted to take it away from Dallas, not Detroit. Part of his hate he had for being ran out of Dallas and went to KC.

So I guess Philly realized they won't get it passed either.
NFL needs to stick to their agreement and squash these ideas as soon as they come up.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Lamar Hunt and the Chiefs tried that for years and to no avail also.
Easy there bro, as that "Hunt"clan got very old and intertwining roots with my mothers maiden clans given handle side of the family tree (that's been traced back to 1630 from a ship outta' Ireland)