Earl Thomas fuels Cowboys rumors

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The cost to keep Crawford is 2018 was 6M.

The cost to keep Crawford in 2019 is 7M.

The cap hit is more because they deferred money in his contract previously and used it to pay other players.

Yes. Still overpaying based on production and lack thereof. Neither I nor the Cowboys can do anything about the past sunk costs, but we can do something about it in the future.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes. Still overpaying based on production and lack thereof. Neither I nor the Cowboys can do anything about the past sunk costs, but we can do something about it in the future.

Free Agency is not as easy as going to the concession stand where there is a specific price for each of a small, medium and large beer.

Just because Crawford is a bit over-paid at 7M this season, it does not mean they can just get a better player for the 7M.

Considering that the top DT averages 22.5M and the top DE averages 23.5M, signing a free agent that averages 7M is not going to mean getting a Great player.

If they sign a free agent that averages 7M, that player is not going to be radically better than Crawford and they'll likely have to give that player a multi-year contract.

The issue is not that Crawford will make 7M in 2019. The issue is that they have not found a replacement for him in the draft.

If Crawford were as low level of player has many fans claim, then they should have been able to find a replacement with any random 4th round or later pick.

In terms of snaps counts played on defense for the Cowboys DLine:

Crawford
2018: 2nd most
2017: 3rd most
2016: 2nd most
2015: Most

Of the 3 positions that Crawford plays (3-tech DT, RDE and LDE), they have had more talented players on the roster at each position to start training camp most or all of the past 4 years; however, something always happens such that Crawford ends up in the top 3 in terms of snap counts.

2018:
RDE Gregory/Taco
3-tech: Collins/Irving
LDE: DLaw

Crawford ends up playing primarily at the 3-tech spot because Irving flaked out and then got injured and Collins was limited with a nagging foot injury.

They also had Datone Jones who looked like he might be a lower cost replacement for Crawford but he was injured in the pre-season and ended up on IR.

2017:
Crawford ends up playing primary at RDE.

They had used a 1st on Taco and had seemingly better fits at RDE Mayowa and Tapper on the roster, but Crawford ended up playing the most snaps at RDE.

They had also drafted Gregory previously to play RDE but he was in rehab/suspended.

2019:
The only legit NFL 3-tech under contract is M.Collins but he has had foot problems every year.

Irving and Datone Jones are free agents.

Crawford is 10x better than Daniel Ross.

It seems like they might be drafting another 3-tech despite fans wanting a big 1-tech.

Considering that they are likely gong to give DLaw a mega-contract, they're highly unlikely to sign an elite 3-tech DT.

In free agency, it really makes the most sense to ether sign an elite player or a low cost player. Signing a player that averages 7M does get an elite player but it also isn't really low cost either.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Free Agency is not as easy as going to the concession stand where there is a specific price for each of a small, medium and large beer.

Just because Crawford is a bit over-paid at 7M this season, it does not mean they can just get a better player for the 7M.

Considering that the top DT averages 22.5M and the top DE averages 23.5M, signing a free agent that averages 7M is not going to mean getting a Great player.

If they sign a free agent that averages 7M, that player is not going to be radically better than Crawford and they'll likely have to give that player a multi-year contract.

The issue is not that Crawford will make 7M in 2019. The issue is that they have not found a replacement for him in the draft.

If Crawford were as low level of player has many fans claim, then they should have been able to find a replacement with any random 4th round or later pick.

In terms of snaps counts played on defense for the Cowboys DLine:

Crawford
2018: 2nd most
2017: 3rd most
2016: 2nd most
2015: Most

Of the 3 positions that Crawford plays (3-tech DT, RDE and LDE), they have had more talented players on the roster at each position to start training camp most or all of the past 4 years; however, something always happens such that Crawford ends up in the top 3 in terms of snap counts.

2018:
RDE Gregory/Taco
3-tech: Collins/Irving
LDE: DLaw

Crawford ends up playing primarily at the 3-tech spot because Irving flaked out and then got injured and Collins was limited with a nagging foot injury.

They also had Datone Jones who looked like he might be a lower cost replacement for Crawford but he was injured in the pre-season and ended up on IR.

2017:
Crawford ends up playing primary at RDE.

They had used a 1st on Taco and had seemingly better fits at RDE Mayowa and Tapper on the roster, but Crawford ended up playing the most snaps at RDE.

They had also drafted Gregory previously to play RDE but he was in rehab/suspended.

2019:
The only legit NFL 3-tech under contract is M.Collins but he has had foot problems every year.

Irving and Datone Jones are free agents.

Crawford is 10x better than Daniel Ross.

It seems like they might be drafting another 3-tech despite fans wanting a big 1-tech.

Considering that they are likely gong to give DLaw a mega-contract, they're highly unlikely to sign an elite 3-tech DT.

In free agency, it really makes the most sense to ether sign an elite player or a low cost player. Signing a player that averages 7M does get an elite player but it also isn't really low cost either.

This is a lot of typing for nothing, but I appreciate your efforts.. You brought up past circumstances that no longer tie this team's hands. Just like with the contract, they're not stuck any longer.

Crawford is overpaid, under performs that paycheck, and plays not because of talent, but out of necessity.

I'll cut Crawford today and give virtually the same amount of money for Sheldon Richardson, a former 1st round pick and Pro Bowl player. And a guy who does have a true starting position.

Kaiser

Reaction score

Also the factor people always overlook with Crawford is that he can start at all four positions of the DL if needed. Marinelli's scheme requires depth and versatility and its a big advantage to have a guy who is a capable starter at every spot.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Also the factor people always overlook with Crawford is that he can start at all four positions of the DL if needed. Marinelli's scheme requires depth and versatility and its a big advantage to have a guy who is a capable starter at every spot.

Great, jack of all trades, master of none. It also means that if he was actually good enough at any of them, he'd be the sure-fire starter there. Nobody pays $9 million a year for rotation guys who don't have a true role. Other than the Cowboys.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score

He's versatile but he's basically a non factor at RDE, a critical position and he starts there. Just too much money, even that versatility.

If he took a pay cut, I'd agree his versatility is a strength and an asset for this team... just not worth his current contract.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Richardson signed a 1-year, 8M prove-it type contract last year after a down year in 2017 which was his 1st in a 4-3 defense.

If Richardson is really available for around 8M per, then the Cowboys might sign him. They've been interested in him previously.

There is no benefit to the team to cut Crawford before training camp.

Comparing both players as 3-tech DTs (4-3 defense):

Crawford 2018
Age 29
Tm DAL
Sk 5.5
Tackles 34
TFL 4
QBHits 12

Richardson 2017
Age 27
Tm SEA
Sk 1
Tackles 44
TFL 3
QBHits 7

Richardson 2018
Age 28
Tm MIN
Sk 4.5
Tackles 49
TFL 6
QBHits 16

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I find it comical how fans love to hate certain players like Crawford, Heath, etc..

It's not as if the Cowboys have Aaron Donald on the bench and give all the 3-tech snaps to Crawford.

I say to those fans: How about some other players beating out Crawford for starter snaps before worrying about cutting him...

cowboyfan4lyfe

Reaction score
So, in your mind, is he worth 12 mil a year? because THAT's what he is asking. Or at least was.....
Last season the Honey Badger who is younger got only 7mil with the Texans. Thomas is in his thirties coming off his second broken bone injuries in the last 3 seasons. 6mil is my max

Kaiser

Reaction score
Great, jack of all trades, master of none. It also means that if he was actually good enough at any of them, he'd be the sure-fire starter there. Nobody pays $9 million a year for rotation guys who don't have a true role. Other than the Cowboys.

Actually he can be a Jack of All Trades and a Master of still better than Daniel Ross or Caraun Reid. He is the starter, I don't get the "sure fire" comment.

Amari Cooper can play the slot, but that doesn't mean he isn't a "sure fire" starting WR.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually he can be a Jack of All Trades and a Master of still better than Daniel Ross or Caraun Reid.

Two minimum wage guys off the street? Is that supposed to make things look better?

He is the starter, I don't get the "sure fire" comment.

Really? Do we have to go through this? Where, exactly is he "the starter"?

Amari Cooper can play the slot, but that doesn't mean he isn't a "sure fire" starting WR.

Amari Cooper is the best player at his position on this team and arguably top 10 or even top 5 in the entire league. That's a poor comparison.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Really? Do we have to go through this? Where, exactly is he "the starter"?

He started every game except for one after his injury. He had the second highest snap count among our DL, only behind DLaw who plays every down.

How exactly does that merit scare quotes around "the starter"?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He started every game except for one after his injury. He had the second highest snap count among our DL, only behind DLaw who plays every down.

So what? You know as well as I do that he's not this team's "starting RDE". He's taken off the field if there's even the hint of a pass coming, and rightfully so. That's a "starter" in name only and an attempt to justify a terrible contract. You know that every bit as well as I do. Let's not be naive here.

How exactly does that merit scare quotes around "the starter"?

For exactly the reasons I mentioned above. Do you want to call him your starter at right defensive end? If so, have at it. But we can both see this for what it is and not practice willfull ignorance and hide behind semantics.

Kaiser

Reaction score
So what? You know as well as I do that he's not this team's "starting RDE". He's taken off the field if there's even the hint of a pass coming, and rightfully so. That's a "starter" in name only and an attempt to justify a terrible contract. You know that every bit as well as I do. Let's not be naive here.

Maybe there is a part of the thread I'm missing but most of Crawford's snaps came at 3T and that was X's comment. I never said anything about RDE, clearly Gregory and Taco will get most of the snaps there.

And Marinelli doesn't play anyone to justify contracts, if he did Cedric Thornton and Jihad Ward would still be on the roster.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe there is a part of the thread I'm missing but most of Crawford's snaps came at 3T and that was X's comment. I never said anything about RDE, clearly Gregory and Taco will get most of the snaps there.

RDE was where Crawford got his starts for the sake of appearances. While not being an actual starter.

And Marinelli doesn't play anyone to justify contracts, if he did Cedric Thornton and Jihad Ward would still be on the roster.

Ward's contract never cost the Cowboys anything as he never made the team.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
he's done almost everything possible lobbying the cowboys to sign him. everything but lower his asking price. that would be a good place to start.

Would be pretty foolish for him to do that, privately or publicly, before free agency even begins.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a lot of typing for nothing, but I appreciate your efforts.. You brought up past circumstances that no longer tie this team's hands. Just like with the contract, they're not stuck any longer.

Crawford is overpaid, under performs that paycheck, and plays not because of talent, but out of necessity.

I'll cut Crawford today and give virtually the same amount of money for Sheldon Richardson, a former 1st round pick and Pro Bowl player. And a guy who does have a true starting position.
Part of his comment about it not being as easy as going to the concession stand and picking what you want at a set price is that wanting someone and getting them isn’t the same thing. There is no guarantee Richardson would even want to come to the Cowboys, and even if he is willing, he will also be looking at other teams who will also be able to make offers, so there is no guarantee we could get him for the price you have in mind. Obviously looking and talking is worth doing, but it’s not something you can just assume.

The other thing I will say is it concerns me a bit that Richardson is likely to be going to his 4th team in 4 years. Why has nobody been willing to give him an extendined contract?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Don't be too surprised if Stephen tries to get him for a team-friendly deal and ET declines.

So, forced to choose between big dough and the Cowboys, Kansas City, here he comes!

Last edited:

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I honestly think they may have something in place. Cap friendly deal with cash at signing type deal.

But I’m torn with that notion of he goes to San Fran to get back at Seattle.