Earl Thomas fuels Cowboys rumors

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Part of his comment about it not being as easy as going to the concession stand and picking what you want at a set price is that wanting someone and getting them isn’t the same thing. There is no guarantee Richardson would even want to come to the Cowboys, and even if he is willing, he will also be looking at other teams who will also be able to make offers, so there is no guarantee we could get him for the price you have in mind. Obviously looking and talking is worth doing, but it’s not something you can just assume.

The other thing I will say is it concerns me a bit that Richardson is likely to be going to his 4th team in 4 years. Why has nobody been willing to give him an extendined contract?

The first two teams, he had no choice. The Jets drafted him, and then he was traded to Seattle. The Vikings offered more money, and he decided to sign a one year deal there. And since it was that one year deal, here we are.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The first two teams, he had no choice. The Jets drafted him, and then he was traded to Seattle. The Vikings offered more money, and he decided to sign a one year deal there. And since it was that one year deal, here we are.

The point isn’t that he had no choice, it’s that he wasn’t given a choice. I didn’t ask why he chose not to stay with teams longer, I asked why teams chose not to keep him longer.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The point isn’t that he had no choice, it’s that he wasn’t given a choice. I didn’t ask why he chose not to stay with teams longer, I asked why teams chose not to keep him longer.

The Jets had three first round picks that they had invested in their defensive line. When it came time to give them those big second contracts, something had to give.

As for the Seahawks? I think cap restraints only allowed them to offer so much money at that point.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
Last season the Honey Badger who is younger got only 7mil with the Texans. Thomas is in his thirties coming off his second broken bone injuries in the last 3 seasons. 6mil is my max

Thomas is better and doesn’t come with the injury history or baggage that HB did. 6 mil is laughable.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Moving his family to Austin has fueled rumors? How so? Austin isn't a hop and a skip away from the DFW area, its over 3 hours drive time just to get there from Fort Worth. Its not like he would be making a commute like that on a daily basis.
With what he is about to make..

he can afford to buy another house in Dallas, too.

These guys are multiple millionaires.

They live in a different world.

He can afford to buy a plane and hire a pilot and fly them in from Sept-January.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With what he is about to make..

he can afford to buy another house in Dallas, too.

These guys are multiple millionaires.

They live in a different world.

He can afford to buy a plane and hire a pilot and fly them in from Sept-January.

It really would be feasible to fly back and forth between Austin and Dallas every day. It's 45 minutes in the air even for a 4 seat type plane. That's 1.5 hours round trip plus the drive time to/from the airport.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It really would be feasible to fly back and forth between Austin and Dallas every day. It's 45 minutes in the air even for a 4 seat type plane. That's 1.5 hours round trip plus the drive time to/from the airport.

It's possible, but it's not really practical. Assume he would leave his house 90-120 minutes in advance of his flight to allow time to work through Austin traffic, park, get through security, get to his gate, and board. Then 45 minutes air time. Then another 60-90 minutes getting from the gate in Dallas, through the terminal to his ground transportation, then through North Dallas traffic to get to Frisco. Even on the low side that's 3 hours and 15 minutes one way, and possibly up to an hour longer than that, and then it goes in reverse coming home. 6-8 hours a day travelling, and what would be the point anyway given that his kids would be in bed when he leaves in the morning and in bed, or close to time for it, when he gets home in the evening?

He could cut some time off it if he chartered a plane every day and didn't have the waits going through the terminal, but that would cost a boatload of money.

Kaiser

Reaction score

The agent for Earl Thomas just read your post and texted ET "Jerry has a helicopter".

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's possible, but it's not really practical. Assume he would leave his house 90-120 minutes in advance of his flight to allow time to work through Austin traffic, park, get through security, get to his gate, and board. Then 45 minutes air time. Then another 60-90 minutes getting from the gate in Dallas, through the terminal to his ground transportation, then through North Dallas traffic to get to Frisco. Even on the low side that's 3 hours and 15 minutes one way, and possibly up to an hour longer than that, and then it goes in reverse coming home. 6-8 hours a day travelling, and what would be the point anyway given that his kids would be in bed when he leaves in the morning and in bed, or close to time for it, when he gets home in the evening?

He could cut some time off it if he chartered a plane every day and didn't have the waits going through the terminal, but that would cost a boatload of money.

I'm referring to a private plane. Drive up, get in, go.

That's why I said 4 seat airplane.

The Addison airport is straight down the tollway from The Star. It's technically a public airport but airlines don't operate there. It's primarily private planes and charter planes.

If he avoided the rush-hour(s) type traffic, he could depart The Star and be in the air in 30 minutes. The pilot would be waiting on him.

There is a small airport in Allen that is lined with houses on either side similar to houses around a golf-course. If he could live near something similar in Austin, he could take a golf-cart from the plane to his house.

Kaiser

Reaction score
There is a small airport in Allen that is lined with houses on either side similar to houses around a golf-course. If he could live near something similar in Austin, he could take a golf-cart from the plane to his house.

And when we play the Seahawks, I want him to leave Jerry's plane with an entourage and come to the Stadium carried in the giant egg Lady Gaga used at the Grammys.

iu