Earl Thomas fuels Cowboys rumors

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, he could ask ...lol

From the practical aspect, helicopters are not fast relative to planes.

Even Jerry's fancy copter might not be practical at that distance (Dallas to Austin).

At a minimum Jerry's copter could get him to/from the airport.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm referring to a private plane. Drive up, get in, go.

That's why I said 4 seat airplane.

The Addison airport is straight down the tollway from The Star. It's technically a public airport but airlines don't operate there. It's primarily private planes and charter planes.

If he avoided the rush-hour(s) type traffic, he could depart The Star and be in the air in 30 minutes. The pilot would be waiting on him.

There is a small airport in Allen that is lined with houses on either side similar to houses around a golf-course. If he could live near something similar in Austin, he could take a golf-cart from the plane to his house.

Sorry, I missed the part about a 4 seat airplane. That obviously would make a difference. Even so, even for a guy making the money he does that's a pretty extravagant cost every day and could still end up being 4 hours of hurried travel time every day. I have to think that would get pretty tough on him. And then there is the question of whether he would even get home in time to spend time with his kids. I can't really answer that because I don't know how long and late practices go.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry, I missed the part about a 4 seat airplane. That obviously would make a difference. Even so, even for a guy making the money he does that's a pretty extravagant cost every day and could still end up being 4 hours of hurried travel time every day. I have to think that would get pretty tough on him. And then there is the question of whether he would even get home in time to spend time with his kids. I can't really answer that because I don't know how long and late practices go.

Yes, going home once a week is more reasonable. I know a guy that flys himself to/from Austin once a week (lives in Dallas, works in Austin).

I do think ET might be able to get the travel time down to about 1 hour each way including air and ground time for a total of 2 hours per day.

If he really wanted to live in Austin as much as possible, he should address the off-season workout expectations into the contract. The off-season workouts (weight room type stuff) are not mandatory but they do expect some level of attendance.

starfan1

Reaction score
He better give a hometown discount. He is 30 and coming off an injury.

We cannot pay Dak, DLaw, ET, Cooper, Zeke, Byron, and Jaylon all like they are the top of their positions.

This!! and looking at that list I know who I wouldn't break the bank for and its not Dak. although i would be smart as you can be at that position but Byron is the spot that would be odd man out. I just don't see him as a shutdown corner but he who am I just a keyboard jockey. he imo is the least critical and talent mixture. Everyone else means too much to this team

Kaiser

Reaction score
Sorry, I missed the part about a 4 seat airplane. That obviously would make a difference. Even so, even for a guy making the money he does that's a pretty extravagant cost every day and could still end up being 4 hours of hurried travel time every day.

Its actually not that expensive and the airtime would only be a half hour or so. Door to door he could probably do it in an hour, especially if the team has someone pick him up.

Even assuming there isn't some friend of the team that will fly him personally, if he chartered a small plane it would only be something like 5K each way. 10K per week over the season is pretty small clams for a guy that has career earnings already of 55 Million dollars, plus next year's contract will easily be north of 5MM. 200K a season isn't that bad if he ET has invested any reasonable amount of his career earnings (which doesn't include endorsement deals).

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
They are saying that he is projected to go to the Packers.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its actually not that expensive and the airtime would only be a half hour or so. Door to door he could probably do it in an hour, especially if the team has someone pick him up.

Even assuming there isn't some friend of the team that will fly him personally, if he chartered a small plane it would only be something like 5K each way. 10K per week over the season is pretty small clams for a guy that has career earnings already of 55 Million dollars, plus next year's contract will easily be north of 5MM. 200K a season isn't that bad if he ET has invested any reasonable amount of his career earnings (which doesn't include endorsement deals).

I assume you mean 30 minutes each way. Curious what a round trip cost would be every day on a chartered plane. Do you know?

I think what xwalker said would be more realistic - going home once a week. Or maybe his family coming up every weekend or every other weekend.

In any case, it's never been a question that travelling between Austin and Dallas would be less time consuming than Austin to other NFL cities (except Houston), but I still don't think the move to Austin necessarily means he has definite plans to play in Texas. Again, he's from Texas, he lived in Austin 4 years, he bleeds burnt orange, and he worked out in Austin during the off season while playing in Seattle, so I think all moving to Austin conclusively means is he wants his primary residence and permanent home to be in Austin.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I assume you mean 30 minutes each way. Curious what a round trip cost would be every day on a chartered plane. Do you know?

Agree on all counts, the move to Austin doesn't make it a lock but I do think its been a handshake deal for a long time. When teams give another team permission to talk to a players agent about trades, everyone knows what type of contract he is looking for - and ET clearly wants to be a Cowboy.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was assuming Thomas flies home for a day each week during the season and stays in a hotel during game weeks. Then he obviously stays in Austin longer during the off week and after a Thursday game. The Cowboys would probably give him "flexibility" on stuff like that over younger players, even if they don't put it in the contract.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

tenor.gif

Carson

Reaction score
They are saying that he is projected to go to the Packers.

Depends on money.

Earl loves the Cowboys. If we offer and Green Bay offers, he will likely have to be blown away to choose them over us.

He just moved his family back to Texas. Granted, four hours from the stadium. But much closer.

If we low ball, he no doubt signs with Green Bay. But if it’s close, he will choose Dallas all day and everyday. This is one of those times, Jerry will get his man.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
And when we play the Seahawks, I want him to leave Jerry's plane with an entourage and come to the Stadium carried in the giant egg Lady Gaga used at the Grammys.

iu
What in tha...

Toomany10pins

Reaction score
Depends on money.

Earl loves the Cowboys. If we offer and Green Bay offers, he will likely have to be blown away to choose them over us.

He just moved his family back to Texas. Granted, four hours from the stadium. But much closer.

If we low ball, he no doubt signs with Green Bay. But if it’s close, he will choose Dallas all day and everyday. This is one of those times, Jerry will get his man.
Earl wants to get PAID more than he wants to play for Dallas.
He has said the first part numerous times. Expect him to go to the highest bidder.