Earl Thomas reportedly skips the beginning of the Seahawks' offseason program

Bigdog

Reaction score
He was probably consulting with Troy Hambrick and asked well what does voluntary mean?

Mobinvans

Reaction score
What the hell? Last year the 2nd rounder brought Chido Awuzie. Why are you going way back to the dark ages and cherry picking crappy players? This year's draft is absolutely loaded in the 2nd round.

Awuzie hasn't even done anything yet

phildadon86

Reaction score
Fine, I'll play your game. Sean Lee was a 2nd rounder. We just gonna go ahead and throw away Sean Lee for an Earl Thomas rental?????????
So you pick the one outlier? lol. Ok ill play too. Randy Gregory, Gavin Escobar, Jaylon Smith

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
People are so in love with picks. Name one player who's been more productive over the span of ET's career that the Cowboys have selected in the 2nd round in the last 21 years? If I'm the Cowboys, I give up the damn 2nd, I'd rather that than the tons of nobodies we drafted over the years.

Right? It’s gonna take a 2nd to get this done and I’ve no problem with it.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Right? It’s gonna take a 2nd to get this done and I’ve no problem with it.

I wouldn't be sure of that.

I think @Idgit 's point makes sense. If Seattle keeps ET and he leaves for FA they are certain to get a compensatory pick, likely a 4th or 3rd depending on the contract.

So absent a third party creating a bidding war, all you have to do to have it make sense for them to make a deal is beat that compensatory pick ie a 2019 3rd or 4th. The rub is of course where they project the compensatory.

On the one hand you have a pick next year being a round downgrade for a pick this year, on the other you know Seattle wants something better than that. A 4th this year very well could be Seattle's best deal available in their eyes.

That is why I don't offer the third until the very last minute or day 2 of the draft and stand on no better than the 4th until then. The second remains a hard no. If Seattle wants to be irrational then fine but I wouldn't play along.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
He was probably consulting with Troy Hambrick and asked well what does voluntary mean?

Troy hambone tripped over his shoe laces every other play before crossing the LOS. There were actual delusional fans that thought he would replace enmity just because he had decent preseason and nice runs playing part time behind the GOAT.

When it has time to go to work fulltime? A flash in the pan was all it turned out to be!

RomoFor6

Reaction score
Lol not at all. Smith has been better than those other two for two years now. And Berry is behind Thomas

Doesnt matter how long youve been in the league lmao.... only matters how good you are. Actually being young is an advantage.
lol Smith is no where near Berry or Thomas pal. Man got exposed the worst I've ever seen against Phi. Was actually embarassing.

Also it doesn't matter how long you've been in the league? lmao. Thomas/Berry have been doing what Byard has been doing for 8+ years. Byard has done it for one. Enough said.

Jake0

Reaction score
Demarcus Lawrence was too. Our two best players on defense are 2nd rounders.

Yep. This draft is loaded with potential in the 2nd/3rd rounds that could end up like Lee/DLaw too. Getting ET is a play to go for a superbowl in like a 2 year window. Keep trading away draft picks, that's a good way to set your franchise back and force a complete rebuild soon.

Even if Dallas' window for a superbowl was RIGHT NOW. It's still a risk due to injuries. The draft picks are just far better for maintaining a quality team years down the road with much less risk.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
lol not a chance. ET and Berry are 1,2. Smith is a distance third and Byard has been in the league two years...
Smith allowed a 22.0 passer rating. The best in the league, despite safeties typically allowing higher passer ratings than CBs. But Smith is just that good.
Earl Thomas allowed a 80.9 passer rating last season, almost 4x more.

That passer rating is the lowest allowed of all time.

Smith allowed 140 yards and 0 TDs all season on 42 targets.
Thomas allowed 160 yards on less than half of Smith's targets lol.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
lol Smith is no where near Berry or Thomas pal. Man got exposed the worst I've ever seen against Phi. Was actually embarassing.

Also it doesn't matter how long you've been in the league? lmao. Thomas/Berry have been doing what Byard has been doing for 8+ years. Byard has done it for one. Enough said.
Lol doubt it, but you're trying to use one game to prove your point. Its obvious you have no ides what youre talking about bud.

No LMAO it doesnt matter how long youve been in the league when determining how good a player is RIGHT NOW. Yes youve said enough lol.

Im just letting you know that people who are knowledgable when it comes to the NFL would without a doubt take Smith over Berry and Thomas. Then there are those who havent been keeping up.

There's not a single thing ET has beem better at Smith than the last two years. Coverage, run game, blitzing, turnovers, team wins. NOTHING.

Lol sorry pimp. Saying Berry and Thomas currently are better is just silly. Saying Smith is a "distsnt third" is flat out stupid lmao.

Last edited:

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'm not sure what to think about Earl Thomas.

On one hand, he's a future Hall of Famer who's still probably the best FS in the league (do you count Harrison Smith as a strong or free safety?). Dude is an absolute stud, and he'd change our defense.

On the other hand, he's getting old and wants a big new deal. I think he's like 29, and he came into the league as a 20 or 21 year old redshirt sophomore so he has the wear on the tires of a 30/31 year old. He's not declining athletically, but he's racking up hits and injuries, and look at Dez to see how those can slow a guy down quick.

For 2018, I have no doubt he'd ball out, but it reminds me so much of the Richard Sherman deal. Dude got old quick, got hurt, and left Seattle holding the bag on the second half of a big contract. Signing Thomas to a 4 year deal at 29 years old would be repeating that exact same scenario. I guess you could go all in and pay him while Dak's on his rookie contract, but it just seems so likely to fail.