Early Favorites

cnuball21

Reaction score
Haven't put a lot of time in yet but have started to look into some early big boards. I think our defense is headed in the right direction but also think we've got miles to go. We still give up a ton of yards that has been masked by opportune turnovers. I'm still looking defense early and often in the upcoming draft.

Assuming Thibodeaux, Hamilton, Stingley and Elam are all gone some of my early favorites include:

- Kingsley Enagbare: DE
- George Karlaftis: DE
- Jaquon Brisker: S
- Jordan Davis - DT
- Roger McCreary - CB
- Ahmad Gardner - CB

cnuball21

Reaction score
Even if you keep Lawrence and Gregory I could see DE being our number one pick. Lawrence only a few years left.

Gregory is on a contract year and having 3 good pass rushers is not a problem...agreed.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Haven't put a lot of time in yet but have started to look into some early big boards. I think our defense is headed in the right direction but also think we've got miles to go. We still give up a ton of yards that has been masked by opportune turnovers. I'm still looking defense early and often in the upcoming draft.

Assuming Thibodeaux, Hamilton, Stingley and Elam are all gone some of my early favorites include:

- Kingsley Enagbare: DE
- George Karlaftis: DE
- Jaquon Brisker: S
- Jordan Davis - DT
- Roger McCreary - CB
- Ahmad Gardner - CB
I suspect we will be in the bottom 20 pick was. Hard to say who we should be targeting. I think DE and S will be our big need position. I dont see CB as a big need right now since we drafted two on day 2 last year.

A 3 down big DT would be a great add. Jordan Davis should be long gone. However Mathis and Ridgeway are both ascending guys that project as 3 down players. Hard to get a read on their pick position though. Either could end up late firsts with a strong finish to the year and a good offseason

cnuball21

Reaction score
I suspect we will be in the bottom 20 pick was. Hard to say who we should be targeting. I think DE and S will be our big need position. I dont see CB as a big need right now since we drafted two on day 2 last year.

A 3 down big DT would be a great add. Jordan Davis should be long gone. However Mathis and Ridgeway are both ascending guys that project as 3 down players. Hard to get a read on their pick position though. Either could end up late firsts with a strong finish to the year and a good offseason

I really want to see Joseph down the stretch so we have an idea of what we’re working with. Im not sold on Wright…but could be wrong.

Anxious to see what we do with guys like Neal, Kearse and Hooker who have been solid for us.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I really want to see Joseph down the stretch so we have an idea of what we’re working with. Im not sold on Wright…but could be wrong.

Anxious to see what we do with guys like Neal, Kearse and Hooker who have been solid for us.
I can see Kazee getting extended of he keeps his play up all year. Hooker has played less than 30 % of our snaps, so I dont know that he looks to come back even if Kazee walks. He makes sense for us, but maybe not the other way around. With Kearse and Neal, I think we will bring one back as that roving S/LB. I think right now Kearse is the better player.

As for CB's, the way the NFL is now you should never rule out a CB anywhere in the draft. You need numbers at the position. We have 3 picks on day 2 the last couple, but if one doesnt work out, we are thin once we move on from Brown and Lewis. Plus it looks like a deep CB draft as far as 1st rounders and we will likely be 25-30ish. Could be the best player at that spot. DE doesnt look so good outside the top 20. However Golston may save us if he shows he can be a legit LDE. Big DT could be on the menu somewhere in the top 90 for us depending on how the season and off season play out for a couple guys. A couple good fits for a Quinn DL.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
As mentioned, it's early but here's a name I'm keeping an eye on.......

However, one prospect at the position who has received plenty of attention is Iowa’s Tyler Linderbaum. Comfortably the best center — and arguably one of the best interior offensive linemen — Linderbaum’s success is remarkable given his relative inexperience at the position. His wrestling history gives him an immense understanding of leverage, while his athleticism and football intelligence help him dominate in the ground game.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I can see Kazee getting extended of he keeps his play up all year. Hooker has played less than 30 % of our snaps, so I dont know that he looks to come back even if Kazee walks. He makes sense for us, but maybe not the other way around. With Kearse and Neal, I think we will bring one back as that roving S/LB. I think right now Kearse is the better player.

As for CB's, the way the NFL is now you should never rule out a CB anywhere in the draft. You need numbers at the position. We have 3 picks on day 2 the last couple, but if one doesnt work out, we are thin once we move on from Brown and Lewis. Plus it looks like a deep CB draft as far as 1st rounders and we will likely be 25-30ish. Could be the best player at that spot. DE doesnt look so good outside the top 20. However Golston may save us if he shows he can be a legit LDE. Big DT could be on the menu somewhere in the top 90 for us depending on how the season and off season play out for a couple guys. A couple good fits for a Quinn DL.

They might just be easing Hooker back into but agree…it’s be nice to keep one of those guys as they give us a good FS option. Hooker has the higher ceiling but there are durability concerns.

Would also love to see us keep Neal or Kearse…guess we’ll see how they do down the stretch and we get Wilson back soon which is good.

Brown and Lewis are serviceable but our pass D is not good so I’m always going to be looking at way to improve that group.

cnuball21

Reaction score
As mentioned, it's early but here's a name I'm keeping an eye on.......

However, one prospect at the position who has received plenty of attention is Iowa’s Tyler Linderbaum. Comfortably the best center — and arguably one of the best interior offensive linemen — Linderbaum’s success is remarkable given his relative inexperience at the position. His wrestling history gives him an immense understanding of leverage, while his athleticism and football intelligence help him dominate in the ground game.

He’s good but a bit undersized so would worry about how that translates to the NFL. OL is a strength so he’d have to be clear cut BPA by a mile for me to consider him and I doubt he will be over a position of need.

visionary

Reaction score

sign Neal at LB and sign 2 of Wilson/Kearse SS and hooker/Kazee FS

Agree that we have to play Joseph a lot. The guy has talent

Rd 1/2 next year should be DL/OL

cnuball21

Reaction score
sign Neal at LB and sign 2 of Wilson/Kearse SS and hooker/Kazee FS

Agree that we have to play Joseph a lot. The guy has talent

Rd 1/2 next year should be DL/OL

I don’t know if it “should be.” It’s going to be dependent on what’s available but if we don’t have CB listed as a need were crazy.

visionary

Reaction score
I don’t know if it “should be.” It’s going to be dependent on what’s available but if we don’t have CB listed as a need were crazy.

CB “need” will depend on Joseph. If Joseph is good enough to start outside then the need is lower but if he can’t then it is higher. NT, OL, Safety are must have’s

cnuball21

Reaction score
CB “need” will depend on Joseph. If Joseph is good enough to start outside then the need is lower but if he can’t then it is higher. NT, OL, Safety are must have’s

In today’s NFL you need 3 CBs to start…do you feel good about Lewis/Brown?

visionary

Reaction score

better than I feel about our starting NT

that is not to say that CB is not a need. It is. Just that if Joseph is good enough to start I can live with Brown/Lewis as 3/4

our run defense is pretty good right now because our DL is playing well and our offense just puts so much pressure on the other team that they feel compelled to throw but a great defense like a Buffalo will not let us do that. Also OSA and Parsons are rookies and not used to playing 18-20 games in a season as they might have to. These guys will hit a rookie wall if we keep playing them as much as we are and we better give them some rest

cnuball21

Reaction score
better than I feel about our starting NT

that is not to say that CB is not a need. It is. Just that if Joseph is good enough to start I can live with Brown/Lewis as 3/4

our run defense is pretty good right now because our DL is playing well and our offense just puts so much pressure on the other team that they feel compelled to throw but a great defense like a Buffalo will not let us do that. Also OSA and Parsons are rookies and not used to playing 18-20 games in a season as they might have to. These guys will hit a rookie wall if we keep playing them as much as we are and we better give them some rest

Our starting DTs when Gally gets back are him and Osa. I feel as good about that pair at DT as any pair I can remember in the last decade. Watkins and Urban were signed as FA to provide depth so we have a decent rotation there.

I'm all for adding another DT to the mix but that big bodied, run stuffing NT is almost obsolete in today's NFL as it's almost impossible to find those guys that can give you pass rush juice. When they're available they're top 10/15 locks. If they can't pass rush they're a 2 down maybe even 1 down player in the NFL. Like Bohanna who we just drafted that's why you take them late.

visionary

Reaction score
Our starting DTs when Gally gets back are him and Osa. I feel as good about that pair at DT as any pair I can remember in the last decade. Watkins and Urban were signed as FA to provide depth so we have a decent rotation there.

I'm all for adding another DT to the mix but that big bodied, run stuffing NT is almost obsolete in today's NFL as it's almost impossible to find those guys that can give you pass rush juice. When they're available they're top 10/15 locks. If they can't pass rush they're a 2 down maybe even 1 down player in the NFL. Like Bohanna who we just drafted that's why you take them late.

I don’t disagree
Let’s see how things progress over the season

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ideally Joseph would be your #2 and Wright your #3. But that is also why we cant ignore the position as a potential spot in the first. We dont know enough about either of them

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I think there are three potential 3 down "big" DT's in this draft. Davis, Mathis and Ridgeway. Ridgeway is still probably more of a projection right now, but I see him as a good scheme fit as a guy who could play 4T like Red Bryant or play 1T.

Mathis has some solid pass rushing production this season. Davis will never be a pass rusher, but he will be a 3 down pocket pusher in the D'aron Payne mold

Davis looks like a solid 1st rounder right now, where Mathis and Ridgeway are potential climbers

cnuball21

Reaction score
Ideally Joseph would be your #2 and Wright your #3. But that is also why we cant ignore the position as a potential spot in the first. We dont know enough about either of them

I’m excited to see Joseph but not holding my breath for Wright…the fact he’s barely seen the field seeing how much we’re playing our rookies is a bit telling.