CFZ Early look at the LA Rams!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I have to admit, only have seen the Rams play 2 games this season, here are some of my early thoughts about this week's opponent:

-Don't be fooled about last week's bad loss to the 49ers. The 49ers own the Rams over the last 3 seasons and lost a close game to them in the NFC Championship. They matchup real well. I believe they have a 7-3 record in the last 10 regular season games.

-Rams are a mash unit inside along their OL. Their new LT, Noteboom had serious struggles against Von Miller on opening night. LG/C and LT are the areas of weakness.

-McVay's offense has traditionally given the Cowboys run defense fits with all his misdirection. Their rushing attack is similar to the one the 49ers employ that gave us troubles in the playoffs last season. Good test for our run defense.

-Cooper Kupp is their first, second and third option. They line him up all over the field and McVay schemes ways to get him singled up. Will Quinn have Diggs travel? Will they try to double him on a given play. Higbee, not Allen Robinson is their best secondary option. Robinson has been real bad as a Ram thus far.

-Defensively of coarse Aaron Donald is a problem, but they also can generate pressure without the blitz and are a strong run defense led by Robinson and Bobby Wagner. Running the football is going to be tough sledding again this week.

-Yes, secondary has Jalen Ramsey, but he is beatable. Their other corner might not play and their strong safety is out. There should be opportunities in the passing game if they can hold up in protection.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Kupp had 14 catches for 100+ yards Sunday and they still didn't score a TD. In othwer words, we probably can give him his catches and take out the rest of Stafford's weapons. One thing is for sure, they are not the same team that won the Super Bowl.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
So basically, Rams are essentially the biggest opponent we’ve faced yet this season? Dallas better follow the 49ers blueprint if capable of doing so. The accolades of both teams (sucky QB, great defense) are the same, so following the blueprint shouldn’t be too hard. Only problem is difference in penalties and coaching, both categories of which the 49ers fare better in.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Kupp had 14 catches for 100+ yards Sunday and they still didn't score a TD. In othwer words, we probably can give him his catches and take out the rest of Stafford's weapons. One thing is for sure, they are not the same team that won the Super Bowl.
They are still very talented team and have a game wrecker in Donald. Cowboys have to make it into a low scoring game then a track meet.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
It'll be interesting to watch what the Rams do on offense. I'm sure they will finally try to involve Allen Robinson more, but also wouldnt be surprised if Diggs shadowed him and then they double up Kupp most of the game. Honestly I think Kupp is going to get his either way. I'd focus on not shutting down the rest of their offense and risking that our playmakers on defense can make more plays than Kupp.

They havent ran the football very well, but as you said they love misdirection plays, which is largely what has given the Cowboys issues this year. I hate to pick on Barr as I was singing his praises after the first two games of the season. The last two games he has really struggled sealing off the backside lanes though. If I were the Rams I would try and pick on him a little bit, and try for a few chunk plays on the ground. A good running game is probably the best chance they have to slow down these pass rushers too.

Offensively I dont know what you do about Aaron Donald. He is going to get some mismatches, and needs to be accounted for every play. He is the one guy in the league I would look to double even when he is matched up on Martin.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
So basically, Rams are essentially the biggest opponent we’ve faced yet this season? Dallas better follow the 49ers blueprint if capable of doing so. The accolades of both teams (sucky QB, great defense) are the same, so following the blueprint shouldn’t be too hard. Only problem is difference in penalties and coaching, both categories of which the 49ers fare better in.
Still believe 49ers are better in the trenches then we are and have a special LB in coverage, which we do not.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Rams are suffering salary cap attrition.
That go all in method can leave the cupboard pretty bare.

Stafford is getting very little blocking.

From their standpoint I am sure they see this as a week to get the run game right because it has been trash with only about 250 yards total by both Backs.
And we do little to stop the run.
But there is no way they feel good about blocking this DL in pass protection.

From our standpoint they offer a stiff test with vet QB and solid defense.
Rush doesn't have the arm to challenge Ramsey and we've run the ball a bit better (just under 400 yards by our two backs) but not with any efficiency.
So it could be another grind it out slugfest.
Both teams need to patient and run the ball.
Dallas has thus far shown a far more of a willingness there and that may end up the difference.

All that said Stafford is a better QB than Jones or Wentz and if we go out and collect FGs he could steal the game with a big play or two.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Still believe 49ers are better in the trenches then we are and have a special LB in coverage, which we do not.
That is true (unless Dallas plays Micah more in coverage) but Dallas is better overall.
SF has been held to 10 points twice. That offense is VERY limited. It's Deebo and Kittle and pray.
SF is only team that has handled Donald fairly well and they make it tough versus that Rams passing attack.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

True Kupp is going to make his plays but he never was able to make the big plays. San Fran did a great job of limiting Kupp from being a big factor.

exciter

Reaction score
I have to admit, only have seen the Rams play 2 games this season, here are some of my early thoughts about this week's opponent:

-Don't be fooled about last week's bad loss to the 49ers. The 49ers own the Rams over the last 3 seasons and lost a close game to them in the NFC Championship. They matchup real well. I believe they have a 7-3 record in the last 10 regular season games.

-Rams are a mash unit inside along their OL. Their new LT, Noteboom had serious struggles against Von Miller on opening night. LG/C and LT are the areas of weakness.

-McVay's offense has traditionally given the Cowboys run defense fits with all his misdirection. Their rushing attack is similar to the one the 49ers employ that gave us troubles in the playoffs last season. Good test for our run defense.

-Cooper Kupp is their first, second and third option. They line him up all over the field and McVay schemes ways to get him singled up. Will Quinn have Diggs travel? Will they try to double him on a given play. Higbee, not Allen Robinson is their best secondary option. Robinson has been real bad as a Ram thus far.

-Defensively of coarse Aaron Donald is a problem, but they also can generate pressure without the blitz and are a strong run defense led by Robinson and Bobby Wagner. Running the football is going to be tough sledding again this week.

-Yes, secondary has Jalen Ramsey, but he is beatable. Their other corner might not play and their strong safety is out. There should be opportunities in the passing game if they can hold up in protection.
What’s with their oline… 7 sacks vs San Fran seems like way out of character for a McVay run team?

NickZepp

Reaction score
Rams have only 82 carries for 3.3 ypc rushing this year. Only one team has fewer carries than the Rams

exciter

Reaction score
Hulk smash Stafford and this game now looks to be possibly winnable… wouldn’t have given them a snowball’s chance 2 weeks ago!!!

Carson

Reaction score
A few notes
  • Safety Jordan Fuller is out. The Rams like us, like to run many 3 safety fronts.
  • RG Coleman Shelton is out. Brian Allen and David Edwards could return this week. Edwards will likely return.
  • They do not run the ball at all

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Defense has to prove it this weekend. I can’t see the Dallas offense scoring more than 20 points.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I like several matchups in our favor. My biggest concern is LA realizing they need to continue to run against us, even if down in Q4. They are pretty well coached, and that’s how you beat us.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

Super Bowl Champs get respect but the Rams are not as talented as Commanders. Their offensive line is a mess and they lost two more players to injury Monday night (Fuller cornerback, and starting center for our game). They look like us back in the Romo era. Top flight Star players but horrible role players. I love our chances if the defense plays like it has all season. McVay does not trust his running backs. My fantasy team has suffered dearly with Akers.:laugh::facepalm:

cwbyfan72

Reaction score
A few notes
  • Safety Jordan Fuller is out. The Rams like us, like to run many 3 safety fronts.
  • RG Coleman Shelton is out. Brian Allen and David Edwards could return this week. Edwards will likely return.
  • They do not run the ball at all
You can bet your arse they will run it this week.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
They havent ran the football very well, but as you said they love misdirection plays, which is largely what has given the Cowboys issues this year. I hate to pick on Barr as I was singing his praises after the first two games of the season. The last two games he has really struggled sealing off the backside lanes though. If I were the Rams I would try and pick on him a little bit, and try for a few chunk plays on the ground. A good running game is probably the best chance they have to slow down these pass rushers too.

I'm no expert but I'm 100% certain this is close to their game plan. We are what 27th or 28th against the run? In fact, I'm looking for a game plan very similar to the playoff loss.