Eating crow about drafting LVE

Shneek814

Reaction score
Haha so many liars on here. I was at the draft where there was a Ridley chant going on. After we picked, I couldn't find one happy Cowboys fan at ATT. Prior to the draft and season, I can't recall too many people on here saying he is gonna be a beast. But, I accept the crow. I chanted for Ridley after James was picked. I'm glad I was wrong.

waving monkey

Reaction score
I already wonder how he slid to 19, had all the pedigree Urlacher did and that kid went 7th overall to Chicago, not 19th overall to the Cowboys.
The fans take was heres a kid from a 8 man football team in high school and baby faced country demeanor' he cant be worthy of first round. I didnt know but I trust our drafting.I thought he would need the usual red shirt rookie season. He's a revelation.

Zman5

Reaction score
I posted a little mini review of him after watching his college highlights. He's doing what I thought he'd be doing but better.
What got better is the way he has been able to shed blocks and the way he uses his legs to drive into the tackles. It's obvious they
did a good job of coaching him on those things in TC.

It's going to be fun watching him be even better next year after getting stronger and another TC under his belt. I think barring injuries we may have a perennial Probowl player on our hands.

kevm3

Reaction score
I wanted Ridley. Felt we drafted a Bobby Carpenterish linebacker with a possibly ongoing neck injury issue. The guy has played extremely well period... I'm not even judging him on a rookie scale. He's looking like one of the best linebackers in football period. I just hope we keep Sean Lee around to coach him and Jaylon.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Haha so many liars on here. I was at the draft where there was a Ridley chant going on. After we picked, I couldn't find one happy Cowboys fan at ATT. Prior to the draft and season, I can't recall too many people on here saying he is gonna be a beast. But, I accept the crow. I chanted for Ridley after James was picked. I'm glad I was wrong.

There were entire threads devoted post draft of folks skewering the pick and those trying to talk people off the ledge. I know I got into it for sure with some of the most vocal critics (e.g. Hennessy King) that were just lamely/ignorantly whining (e.g. "he can't take on blocks, he's Bobby Carpenter, he doesn't hit hard, he struggles getting off blockers, etc.".

The board rules protects these people from being embarrassed by reposting those old threads.

I wouldn't have minded Ridley (though I'd thought he'd be wasted in this offense, w/this QB) and was hoping we'd move up a spot to secure Derwin James. That said, LVE was a good and I understood the FO's rationale; the team needed to add quality LB depth and in LVE they were drafting a guy that had a huge ceiling. If he stayed at Boise State and simply matched his season he'd be a Top 10 pick the following draft (2019).

Last edited:

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I was a big LVE fan (and got the draft prediction thread to prove it), but if you told me "he'll be playing at a Brian Urlacher-esque level by November of his rookie year" I would've thought you were full of crap. He is exceeding my expectations by far.

Klingo3034

Reaction score
I was rooting for LVE prior to the draft. Just watching his videos and showing what he could do.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I never like to make such bold prediction about a rookie but he sure looks like it so far.

If he played like he is now and didn't get any better going forward he would make the pro bowl every year. I think its safe to assume he is going to improve.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I stopped poo-pooing picks on Draft Day after Fredbeard proved me wrong.

You shouldn't feel that way.

Just because they hit doesn't mean your logic was flawed.

The best of the best miss on picks all the time so just because you missed on a guy doesn't mean much.

I am shocked with how Frederick turned out because he was so unathletic looking in college and had balance issues. Very heavy footed. I'm surprised he turned into the player he did.

Demarco Murray was another guy that surprised me because he was not a physical runner at all in college. They used to take him out on short yardage downs at Oklahoma but he gets in the Pro's and he's one of the most physical backs in football.

Even the Cowboys admitted that they didn't see this in college.

For me I think a lot of people don't do a good job at projecting what a guy can be and that is the case with Vander Esch. It stuck out like a sore thumb to me because of the size and how incredible he was in space.

He was productive, off the charts physically, and just scratching the surface of his potential. IT had boom pick written all over it.

LVE got knocked because he wasn't a thumper and he played at Boise State and I just didn't view those things as much of an issue.

Last edited:

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I just want to openly admit that during the draft I was openly against the LVE pick. I was obviously wrong and couldn’t be more happy with what he’s done since he’s been on this team. The guy rocks and seems like a good dude all around (which is a big deal to me).

Just wanted to get that off my back :)

Same here. I was losing faith because I didnt want Taco last year and thought the boys were going to take him or Adoree Jackson, and didnt want LVE this year and we all knew we were going to take him. Glad I'm wrong about LVE

Still would love Harold Landry on this team though.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
You shouldn't feel that way.

Just because they hit doesn't mean your logic was flawed.

The best of the best miss on picks all the time so just because you missed on a guy doesn't mean much.

I am shocked with how Frederick turned out because he was so unathletic looking in college and had balance issues. Very heavy footed. I'm surprised he turned into the player he did.

Demarco Murray was another guy that surprised me because he was not a physical runner at all in college. They used to take him out on short yardage downs at Oklahoma but he gets in the Pro's and he's one of the most physical backs in football.

Even the Cowboys admitted that they didn't see this in college.

For me I think a lot of people don't do a good job at projecting what a guy can be and that is the case with Vander Esch. It stuck out like a sore thumb to me because of the size and how incredible he was in space.

He was productive, off the charts physically, and just scratching the surface of his potential. IT had boom pick written all over it.

LVE got knocked because he wasn't a thumper and he played at Boise State and I just didn't view those things as much of an issue.

I'm not saying I started celebrating the genius of the Cowboys collective after the selection. I just now wait until I get to see them in action, rather than letting my bias lead to instant disdain after the card it turned in. I know... shocking concept, right?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'm not saying I started celebrating the genius of the Cowboys collective after the selection. I just now wait until I get to see them in action, rather than letting my bias lead to instant disdain after the card it turned in. I know... shocking concept, right?

Oh i'll gladly rip the pick haha. If they prove me wrong though i'll glady admit I was wrong like I was with T. Fred.