Eddie Van Halen, rock guitar god, dead of throat cancer at 65

Plankton

Reaction score
https://www.tmz.com/2020/10/06/eddie-van-halen-dead-dies-cancer-65/

Eddie Van Halen -- the legendary guitarist and co-founder of Van Halen -- has died after a long battle with throat cancer ... TMZ has learned.

Sources directly connected to the rock star tell us ... he died at St. John's Hospital in Santa Monica Tuesday. His wife, Janie, was by his side, along with his son, Wolfgang, and Alex, Eddie's brother and drummer.

We're told in the last 72 hours Eddie's ongoing health battle went massively downhill -- doctors discovered his throat cancer had moved to his brain as well as other organs.

As you know, Eddie has been battling cancer for well over a decade. Our sources say he's been in and out of the hospital over the past year -- including last November for intestinal issues -- and recently underwent a round of chemo.

Last year we reported ... Eddie was flying between the US and Germany for 5 years to get radiation treatment. Though he was a heavy smoker for years, he believes he developed throat cancer from a metal guitar pick he used to frequently hold in his mouth more than 20 years ago.

Nevertheless, he continued to attend concerts and rehearse music with his son, Wolfgang, who -- if ya don't know -- became Van Halen's bassist in 2006.

lukin2006

Reaction score
120741405_2696683743701417_5781587673372460934_n.jpg

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is HORRIBLE news. I followed Van Halen since day 1. Bought every album and went to every show. I'm completely shaking right now. This sucks so much. I have listened to VH for 1000's of hours. DAMN.

RIP Eddie. You will be missed.

:(

e04c6231c850c029f5c4c5d7cc5aaafc

Last edited:

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Not good at all! Man I hate this...

When I was in Music School, we watched a hour vid of EVH on guitar technique. One thing that stuck out to me (actually going through this right now) is that when you come across a lick that you just have trouble with, if it's really hard, you need to play that lick 1000 times before or until you get it right.

RIP EVH

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
A friend brought their debut album to school in the winter of 78 and played it for me. To say that my mind was blown was an understatement. Ending up seeing VH about a dozen times from 1979-2012. They were amazing live especially during those early years{78-79-80-81} I knew he had been sick the last few years but wasn't expecting this. RIP.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Not good at all! Man I hate this...

When I was in Music School, we watched a hour vid of EVH on guitar technique. One thing that stuck out to me (actually going through this right now) is that when you come across a lick that you just have trouble with, if it's really hard, you need to play that lick 1000 times before or until you get it right.

RIP EVH

And he had a ton of those licks that were hard if not extremely difficult especially during those early years. Most players at the time were "box" or pentatonic players. Edward came along and broke all the rules.