Eli Manning to Announce Retirement Friday

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
He’s going to get HOF sniffs from his two titles. Reality is he was pretty pedestrian most of his career and finished with an even W/L record.

I think he gets in at some point simply based on those amazing playoff runs.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Two single pass plays could have drastically changed his career. If Patrick Crayton doesn't quit on his route, Dallas wins that 2007 playoff game. If Miles Austin doesn't lose the ball in the lights, he converts the critical first down that prevents the Giants from even making the playoffs in 2011.

He produced in this two SB runs. He was reliable in that he didn't miss games due to injury leading to playing many games and throwing many passes(6th most attempts). He was consistent. That consistency wasn't necessarily being extraordinarily good. He was average for most of his career and consistent at being average. The playoff games during the Superbowl seasons were the outliers.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
He’s going to get HOF sniffs from his two titles. Reality is he was pretty pedestrian most of his career and finished with an even W/L record.

I think he gets in at some point simply based on those amazing playoff runs.

One of 5 players in NFL history with multiple Super Bowl MVPS. When the other names on that list are Montana, Brady, Bradshaw, and Starr.... voters will take notice.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He had a good and solid long career, not one of the best but an admirable QB for one of our foes. I will miss the Eli dumb face.......:thumbup:

Pape

Reaction score
One of 5 players in NFL history with multiple Super Bowl MVPS. When the other names on that list are Montana, Brady, Bradshaw, and Starr.... voters will take notice.

there are a dozen guys in the NFL with multiple Super Bowl titles & there are 7 qbs with multiple mvps, including eli
  • Tom Brady 6, 4 MVPs
  • Terry Bradshaw 4, 2 MVPs
  • Joe Montana 4, 3 MVPs
  • Troy Aikman 3, 1 mvp
  • Peyton manning 2, 2 MVPs - absolutely did not deserve the second one
  • Eli manning 2, 2 MVPs - absolutely did not deserve the first one
  • Jim Plunkett 2, 1 mvp
  • Bob Griese 2, 0
  • Roger Staubach 2, 1 mvp
  • John Elway 2, 1 mvp
  • Ben Roethlisberger 2, 2 MVPs
  • Bart Starr 2, 2 MVPs
For all the eligible players, all but Plunkett are in the Hof... TB12 is a lock, Peyton is a first ballot HoF, Roethlisberger most likely will get in, Plunkett, if he didn't make it this year with the "special expanded class", he wont ever get in... and that leaves eli

the problem with eli is that outside of the two Super Bowl titles, both earned mostly by the Defense - but i will given eli his due, he didn't screw it up - nothing else stands out... a borderline top ten qb, at no point can you say "I want that guy to lead my team" ... he's got stats because he was incredibly durable, but thats about all he brings to the table ... is it enough? for the Hall of Good players ...

But he will get consideration, as he should, for the Giants beating the Patriots in 42 & 46 ... outside of those accomplishments the rest falls flat imo ... he isn't what I consider a Hall of Fame caliber player ... Eli is a modern day Plunkett ... ymmv

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
there are a dozen guys in the NFL with multiple Super Bowl titles & there are 7 qbs with multiple mvps, including eli
  • Tom Brady 6, 4 MVPs
  • Terry Bradshaw 4, 2 MVPs
  • Joe Montana 4, 3 MVPs
  • Troy Aikman 3, 1 mvp
  • Peyton manning 2, 2 MVPs - absolutely did not deserve the second one
  • Eli manning 2, 2 MVPs - absolutely did not deserve the first one
  • Jim Plunkett 2, 1 mvp
  • Bob Griese 2, 0
  • Roger Staubach 2, 1 mvp
  • John Elway 2, 1 mvp
  • Ben Roethlisberger 2, 2 MVPs
  • Bart Starr 2, 2 MVPs
For all the eligible players, all but Plunkett are in the Hof... TB12 is a lock, Peyton is a first ballot HoF, Roethlisberger most likely will get in, Plunkett, if he didn't make it this year with the "special expanded class", he wont ever get in... and that leaves eli

the problem with eli is that outside of the two Super Bowl titles, both earned mostly by the Defense - but i will given eli his due, he didn't screw it up - nothing else stands out... a borderline top ten qb, at no point can you say "I want that guy to lead my team" ... he's got stats because he was incredibly durable, but thats about all he brings to the table ... is it enough? for the Hall of Good players ...

But he will get consideration, as he should, for the Giants beating the Patriots in 42 & 46 ... outside of those accomplishments the rest falls flat imo ... he isn't what I consider a Hall of Fame caliber player ... Eli is a modern day Plunkett ... ymmv

Von Miller won MVP in the Denver SB, Peyton only has 1. Santonio Holmes and Hines Ward won MVPs in Roethlisberger’s 2 Super Bowls, he has 0. Not sure where you got these stats but some are completely made up.

mine is still correct, Only 5 multiple SB MVP winners: Starr, Brady, Eli, Bradshaw, Montana. An unbelievably rare list to be on.

Pape

Reaction score
Von Miller won MVP in the Denver SB, Peyton only has 1. Santonio Holmes and Hines Ward won MVPs in Roethlisberger’s 2 Super Bowls, he has 0. Not sure where you got these stats but some are completely made up.

mine is still correct, Only 5 multiple SB MVP winners: Starr, Brady, Eli, Bradshaw, Montana. An unbelievably rare list to be on.
Yes, manning won 1... My bad. Point still stands about Eli being an average player... Not a great one

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Yes, manning won 1... My bad. Point still stands about Eli being an average player... Not a great one

220 consecutive starts is an alltime achievement. Top 10 alltime in TDs, Yards, tied with Joe Montana for career wins, and then you add those to the fact that he’s a multiple SB-winning QB....

To say that’s not worthy of HoF consideration is a little goofy. I think he gets in, but no first ballot. Peyton and Eli will be congratulating new QB HoF inductees for decades to come

Pape

Reaction score
220 consecutive starts is an alltime achievement. Top 10 alltime in TDs, Yards, tied with Joe Montana for career wins, and then you add those to the fact that he’s a multiple SB-winning QB....

To say that’s not worthy of HoF consideration is a little goofy. I think he gets in, but no first ballot. Peyton and Eli will be congratulating new QB HoF inductees for decades to come
I said he is worthy of consideration. But I absolutely do not agree he is a hall of fame caliber player. He was never a top 3 or top 5 qb, is a fringe top 10 player... Only 4 pro bowls in 16 years, zero all pro recognition, zero mvps, and two dubious super bowl mvps ... And if you are being honest all he did was not screw up ... He isn't his brother... But He will benefit from the manning name, based on the legacy Peyton built