Elite cornerbacks sounded off to disagree with Rex Ryan’s take on Amari Cooper

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I would say there is a significant advantage to playing at home which makes things easier, which is why there is home field advantage. I think there is a combination of his heart not being 100% into football and the fact that he's not a GREAT #1 WR, I just don't think he's physical enough. When he gets punched in the mouth by a good man corner, he seems to back off - I saw this happen with Lattimore and Gilmore in 2019.

But I think the thing that really got me was the video of him letting Adam Jones slam his head off the ground. A lot of people will say that it was smart and he didn't want to draw the flag, but there was no fight in him at all - he just got up, picked his helmet up, and had the same stoic look on his face as always. Just something missing with him as a player. Like I mentioned elsewhere, it's like he's the polar opposite of a diva to the point he hits his own kind of personality extreme.

Here is Jones basically smirking when he was talking about what he did to Cooper and the guys there calling him a bully

I just don’t put much stock in body language, let alone a smirk.

His home/away splits while at Oakland are nearly identical comparably:

HOME
105 rec.
1,451 yards
10 TDs

AWAY
98 rec.
1,452 yards
8 TDs

cern

Reaction score
For those seasons scaling based on same number of overall targets:
Dez: 12
Cooper: 9.5

Scaling based on Red Zone targets:
Dez: 12
Cooper: 16
Can you provide dez's receptions, yards and TDs his last two years with dallas against Cooper's the last two years.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I mentioned this after the 2018 season and people blasted me for it. It's exactly the rumors that were coming out of Oakland and exactly what their fanbase said. When things are on easy street, he'll put up big numbers. When things are going south? He disappears and that's when Amari Pooper with hands of stone comes out.
We needed more out of him in that Philly game.

I recall thinking during the game that he didnt look like he felt like being there, dropped a key pass, and then it was said that he wasnt in on the famous last play because he was benched for "poor play."

Sorry, I just didnt agree with giving the guy 100m.

But, aside from being moot now, if they wanted to keep him, they had to. Seems as though the team can cut bait in two years fairly easily.

Jerry had to keep the band together, and cave in, last like last year....because EVERY year is the year we are gonna win it all in Jerryland.

keysersoze

Reaction score
Rex Ryan ain’t nothing but a fat clown who ain’t never been a good ball player and benefitted from his daddy’s career. ENTITLED!!!Not deserving or earned anything. His career was basically handed to him. Cooper is better than damn near any receiver Rex has coached. That was just ignorant rhetoric and diarrhea of the mouth.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The following are scaled to 16 games.
Dez played 13 in 2016.
Cooper played 9 games for the Cowboys in 2018.

Difference Cooper 2018 vs Dez 2016 (based on each scaled to 16 games)
(A positive number is the amount that Cooper exceed Dez)
Tgt 17.0
Rec 32.7
Yds 309.2
TD 0.8
Lng 34
Y/G 19.4
Ctch% 17.6%
Y/Tgt 1.2

Diff
Tgt -13.0
Rec 10.0
Yds 351.0
TD 2.0
Lng 3
Y/G 21.9
Ctch% 14.1%
Y/Tgt 3.7

Dez 2016 - scaled to 16 games (He played 13)
Tgt 118.2
Rec 61.5
Yds 979.7
Y/R 15.9
TD 9.9
Lng 56
Y/G 61.2
Ctch% 52.1%
Y/Tgt 8.3

Dez 2017 (He played all 16)
Tgt 132
Rec 69
Yds 838
Y/R 12.1
TD 6
Lng 50
Y/G 52.4
Ctch% 52.3%
Y/Tgt 6.3

Cooper 2018 - Cowboys Only scaled to 16 (He played 9 with Cowboys)
Tgt 135.1
Rec 94.2
Yds 1288.9
Y/R 13.7
TD 10.7
Lng 90
Y/G 80.6
Ctch% 69.7%
Y/Tgt 9.5

Cooper 9 scale 16
Tgt 119
Rec 79
Yds 1189
Y/R 15.1
TD 8
Lng 53
Y/G 74.3
Ctch% 66.4%
Y/Tgt 10

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Wonder what Byron Jones had to say about this.

"The 1/3 of the time I covered him in camp and practice he made the Cowboys question if I was an elite corner. It was why they had pause on re-signing me."

blueblood70

Reaction score
@blueblood70

The Cowboys force fed the ball to Dez.

Comparing Dez season with the best yardage total to Cooper's 2019 season if they had the same number of targets:

Rec
Dez 92
Cooper 92

Yds
Dez 1382
Cooper 1379

Y/R
Dez 15
Cooper 15.1
sorry you dont get to use what if stats especially targets when the knock on AC is he wasn't getting open or making an effort against the better corners, therefore he did not get targeted,,

Dez didnt need to be open , he fought for the balls and wanted to be the primary and if he wasn't like Mike he was loud and passionate abut not getting the ball..

reality is AC has not even exceeded Dez stats yet wanted Thomas and Julio money, thats the issue he doesn't seems motivated to be the best therefore lacks some effort when he simply not feeling like giving max effort regardless of the rep he gets for doing so..

if im gm I dont give that kind of money to a player who doesnt give 100% 100% of the time..

you want to play the injury card, he should have been sat down if he was going to be a weakness in the game plan as should have Dak in the philly game, that was his excuse for missing wide open WRs , wasn't it?

Last edited:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
sorry you dont get to use what if stats especially targets when the knock on AC is he wasn't getting open or making an effort against the better corners, therefore he did not get targeted,,

Dez didnt need to be open , he fought for the balls and wanted to be the primary and if he wasn't like Mike he was loud and passionate abut not getting the ball..

reality is AC has not even exceeded Dez stats yet wanted Thomas and Julio money, thats the issue he doesn't seems motivated to be the best therefore lacks some effort when he simply not feeling lime giving ,ax effort regardless of the rep he gets for doing so..

if im gm I dont give that kind of money to a player who doesnt give 100% 100% of the time..

you want to play the injury card, he should have been sat down if he was going to be a weakness in the game plan as should have Dak in the philly game, that was his excuse for missing wide open WRs , wasn't it?

That’s an xwalker special.

He’ll omit numbers that don’t paint the picture he wants.

In this case he “scaled” numbers because the TD numbers don’t favor Cooper.

Even worse he doesn’t know how to calculate a basic percentage increase.

He’ll twist numbers until they say “U-N-C-L-E!!!”

blueblood70

Reaction score
The following are scaled to 16 games.
Dez played 13 in 2016.
Cooper played 9 games for the Cowboys in 2018.

Tgt 17.0
Rec 32.7
Yds 309.2
TD 0.8
Lng 34
Y/G 19.4
Ctch% 17.6%
Y/Tgt 1.2

Diff
Tgt -13.0
Rec 10.0
Yds 351.0
TD 2.0
Lng 3
Y/G 21.9
Ctch% 14.1%
Y/Tgt 3.7

Dez 2016 - scaled to 16 games (He played 13)
Tgt 118.2
Rec 61.5
Yds 979.7
Y/R 15.9
TD 9.9
Lng 56
Y/G 61.2
Ctch% 52.1%
Y/Tgt 8.3

Dez 2017 (He played all 16)
Tgt 132
Rec 69
Yds 838
Y/R 12.1
TD 6
Lng 50
Y/G 52.4
Ctch% 52.3%
Y/Tgt 6.3

Cooper 2018 - Cowboys Only scaled to 16 (He played 9 with Cowboys)
Tgt 135.1
Rec 94.2
Yds 1288.9
Y/R 13.7
TD 10.7
Lng 90
Y/G 80.6
Ctch% 69.7%
Y/Tgt 9.5

Cooper 9 scale 16
Tgt 119
Rec 79
Yds 1189
Y/R 15.1
TD 8
Lng 53
Y/G 74.3
Ctch% 66.4%
Y/Tgt 10
no ifs and butts and candies and nuts , noones denying copers skillset, issue is hes not bringing that effort and skillset to every game..thats the big elephant in the 20million dollar room..

they are 2 very different receivers but ill take risk on a dez with his passion for wanting to be the best, wanting the damn ball attitude vs one that blend sinto the background..

blueblood70

Reaction score
That’s an xwalker special.

He’ll omit numbers that don’t paint the picture he wants.

In this case he “scaled” numbers because the TD numbers don’t favor Cooper.

Even worse he doesn’t know how to calculate a basic percentage increase.

He’ll twist numbers until they say “U-N-C-L-E!!!”
:hammer:

eromeopolk

Reaction score
top Elie WRs 1500 plus and 12-15Tds plus.. he got paid for under 1100 yards and thats not élite level thats just good these day in this so called "passing Era" under 1100 is just being a very good starting WR.. Put up 100 catches plus 1500 plus and double diguit scores + .. Dez had 4years in arrow where he met these and he was worth signing even which his injurys caught up to him. we railed on Dez for having a drop off after his new deal, well this was basically a repeat of history given that type of deal to AC , actually more so..at least Dez was destroying records and actually elite before he got paid, AC is a very good top notch WR, hes not elite..

we already saw this from AC in Oakland we knew he had PF foot issues etc yet hand him ELITE money..it was overpaying and if he wants to be in the norm thats under 18 bro,, dont waste your time convincing me other wise.. I see Hopkins, Thomas and Jones destroying stats and they influence every game they are in even when not targeted, AC decides to jog when hes the being the bait..it made it easier on the defense to defend the play call when they see AC isnt going full speed and cuts off his routes..all truths..

I get why they did it but Rex is right , it wasn't smart to do so,..
You cut Dez and won't resign him! So what is your point.

Lets K.I.S.S. this. What was the receiving production before the trade for Amari? What was it after? What WR has had those pedestrian number you describe got nominated to the Pro Bowl 4 of his 5 year career, and had his first 16 game season of his career last year?

Nick Saban threw the ball and change the offense more for Cooper than he did for Julio Jones and Cooper responded with 124 catches, 1727 yards, and 16 TDs. So if the Cowboys did not have over the last 2 years Gallup, Hurns, Zeke, Beasley, Cobb, and last year Witten, I think he would have more opportunities....NOT! he still had Jason Garrett lining him up in the same spot every game with a occasional motion to the same spot.

So I totally disagree with this post, your reaction to Rex Ryan dumb, rude and assinine statements, and your reaction to Amari Cooper's career...

HungryLion

Reaction score
I personally feel like a large part of Amari’s home/away splits in Dallas has to do with coaching. Jason Garrett consistently developed more conservative game planning when on the road, especially on the road against good teams.

A big part of Cooper’s production is the chunk plays.

Now I could be wrong but that’s my hypothesis. We will see if it changes under McCarthy.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You cut Dez and won't resign him! So what is your point.

Lets K.I.S.S. this. What was the receiving production before the trade for Amari? What was it after? What WR has had those pedestrian number you describe got nominated to the Pro Bowl 4 of his 5 year career, and had his first 16 game season of his career last year?

Nick Saban threw the ball and change the offense more for Cooper than he did for Julio Jones and Cooper responded with 124 catches, 1727 yards, and 16 TDs. So if the Cowboys did not have over the last 2 years Gallup, Hurns, Zeke, Beasley, Cobb, and last year Witten, I think he would have more opportunities....NOT! he still had Jason Garrett lining him up in the same spot every game with a occasional motion to the same spot.

So I totally disagree with this post, your reaction to Rex Ryan dumb, rude and assinine statements, and your reaction to Amari Cooper's career...

good try im not the only one nor was Rex, I dont think AC is turd but he for sure isnt elite and dint deserve a 20mi, deal, he will get criticized same as when he was in Oakland for the same exact effort and disappearing issues,,.we all saw it and it as the rumor coming out of Oakland..

8 games 2018 that was easy he was inspired but the trade and 8 games is his MO brah,,, look last year 8 good ones 8 bad ones he shows up for 8 games and is great, the full season exposed his warts..

AC hasn't had one double digit TD year 8 is his best , Dez was a TD machine those 3 years..scoring is important correct?, nearly as important as stats at each positions..

I dont need you or a handful of you alls approval to have an opinion backed on stats ..he should have had 1500 yards and 15tds , he didnt because he well was somewhere else mentally or physically.that guy would be worth 20mil:popcorn:

he and dak are agreat pair , both wildly inconsistent and wildly overpaid..great duo..:laugh::lmao:

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
no ifs and butts and candies and nuts , noones denying copers skillset, issue is hes not bringing that effort and skillset to every game..thats the big elephant in the 20million dollar room..

they are 2 very different receivers but ill take risk on a dez with his passion for wanting to be the best, wanting the damn ball attitude vs one that blend sinto the background..
If only we could take the best parts of both receivers and put them together. Amari's peanut butter and Dez's chocolate.

starfan1

Reaction score
@blueblood70

The Cowboys force fed the ball to Dez.

Comparing Dez season with the best yardage total to Cooper's 2019 season if they had the same number of targets:

Rec
Dez 92
Cooper 92

Yds
Dez 1382
Cooper 1379

Y/R
Dez 15
Cooper 15.1
So does that mean Dez is a turd lol?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Even with AB it’s not one thing because unless I missed the whole thing AB on the field isn’t a turd and wasn’t that what Rex was talking about on the field play. Don’t confuse the two unless I missed something.
I don't think the term should be used with respect to a person's play on the field. That's why I pointed to AB and specifically said it one considers his behavior. Say he (Amari) takes some plays off or doesn't show up on the road. But to call him a turd, I felt Rex Ryan was being sensational.