Elliott is seeing the field better

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
There was an episode in Hard Knocks where Zeke was talking to a young RB about being more patient. It was a good watch.

I didn't see it. But I do notice that Zeke isn't going out of his way to bulldoze people. He seems to be waiting for the hole to open and then zip right in. It seems that he lost a step. I don't think so. He seems more patience and seeing the hole better.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Well thank God he's no longer that inferior back in 2016.

He was never an inferior back. However, he got lazy and fat once he signed his contract.

But this year he seems to be different. More quicker, shiftier and patient than he ever was in 2016.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I think he is seeing the field better because he is now seeing holes being created by this Oline.....run blocking is excellent. Not having a Dlineman in your face once you get the ball makes a big difference...LOL.....And using McGovern at FB at the goal line has also helped. Keeping him fresh with Pollard getting some carries will help him in the latter part of the season and into the post season.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Zeke had an awesome game. I'm not sold on him being back to his 2016 form, yet.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
He gets faded AFTER the games instead of BEFORE the games, so that does help him play better.

Fizziksman

BanditHiro
Reaction score
He was never an inferior back. However, he got lazy and fat once he signed his contract.

But this year he seems to be different. More quicker, shiftier and patient than he ever was in 2016.

he failed miserably to carry the team when Dak got hurt and that was to big of hit to his pride hence why he tried way more in the offseason

Flamma

Reaction score
Ok I have to admit Elliott has me eating crow. I wanted to trade him away just a few weeks ago. Now he seems to be a very important cog in our defense.

I did mention that he seems to have lost his break away speed. I don't think that's the case. I think he has become a more patient blocker and waits for his blocks to happen. Then he picks his hole.

In 2016 he just runs straight in and looking for contact. He no longer is that Zeke.

He maybe a bit lighter than he ever was. But he seems more quicker than he ever was.

Me personally, I just think his OL is playing better. All RBs need the OL. They show their talent when the OL allows them to show it. And when the offense is pass/run balanced. No RB is great on his own (besides Barry Sanders), they show off how good they are when the offensive line blocks well for them. We have a good passing game and relatively healthy OL, so Zeke is going to eat it up.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Me personally, I just think his OL is playing better. All RBs need the OL. They show their talent when the OL allows them to show it. And when the offense is pass/run balanced. No RB is great on his own (besides Barry Sanders), they show off how good they are when the offensive line blocks well for them. We have a good passing game and relatively healthy OL, so Zeke is going to eat it up.
Barry's line wasn't as bad as some think.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok I have to admit Elliott has me eating crow. I wanted to trade him away just a few weeks ago. Now he seems to be a very important cog in our defense.

I did mention that he seems to have lost his break away speed. I don't think that's the case. I think he has become a more patient blocker and waits for his blocks to happen. Then he picks his hole.

In 2016 he just runs straight in and looking for contact. He no longer is that Zeke.

He maybe a bit lighter than he ever was. But he seems more quicker than he ever was.
I'm seeing and thinking the same thing, which is weird? How does vision improve. I assume it's just a function of a little more patience and a little more focus on keeping the eyes up and looking.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
No doubt. People seem to forget the debacle our OL was last season due to injuries. In addition to the poor OL play, Dak’s injury allowed defenses to stack the box to stop the run. Far too many only look at stats and not the circumstances leading to the stats.

philbin deserves a lot of credit for getting the line to perform bettet

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Yep, that's a false narrative. He didn't have our line to run behind, be he ran behind some amazing lineman.

Lomas Brown was one tackle, he went to 7 straight Pro Bowls from 1990-96.
Kevin Glover was a 3 time Pro Bowler, played 13 years at Detroit.
Erik Andolsek was a 3 year starter who was tragically killed in his own front yard by a truck, he might have been a Pro Bowler if he'd played some more...

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
He reached back and grabbed the tiger by the tail. He wasted the elite Zeke but he has learned a life lesson. He is still good enough. You go Boy!

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Isn't it amazing what a back can do when he's not running behind second string offensive linemen?

Oh, wait, he's washed up, who's that wearing the no. 21 jersey anyway?

:laugh:

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Isn't it amazing what a back can do when he's not running behind second string offensive linemen?

Oh, wait, he's washed up, who's that wearing the no. 21 jersey anyway?

:laugh:
Defiantly not washed up. He just can't do anything he wants now.