Emmitt Smith/Jerry Rice Double Standard (BTB)

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I
If he played just 2-3 more years--and he could've gone way longer than that--he would still be holding all the records.

He wouldn't have taken the rushing TDs record from Emmitt.

Flamma

Reaction score
Emmitt Smith is the most underrated player in the NFL. Some fools(Cowboys fans) believe the offensive line made him. I remember the years without Emmitt for Troy. The offensive line almost got Aikman killed. I can’t even remember the running backs before Emmitt. It is laughable that some people actually think Barry Sanders is a better back then Emmitt. Barry was faster/quicker but Emmitt was the better all around running back. I don’t think we win a Super Bowl with Barry instead of Emmitt.

Barry was great, but he had to be in single set formations with a spread offense. Detroit tried to use a lead blocker and had to revert back. So no, Dallas wouldn't have won, they would have been the Detroit lions.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Cowboy fans have done no favors to the goat when it comes to these type of conversations.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I just finished reading a BTB article that talks about this, and I saw in the comments that even Cowboys fans sell Emmitt short in this discussion. Without trying to sound biased, here are my thoughts on it:

Jerry Rice is the equivalent of Emmitt Smith at the wide receiver position. Just like Emmitt does for running back, he holds the majority of the major NFL records for receivers.

They also have a couple of career parallels: They both slid in the draft because of concerns over their measurables at the NFL Combine. Neither was the first player selected at their position in their drafts. They both won 3 Super Bowls. They even retired the same year.

But......Jerry actually played on more stacked teams than Emmitt. His supporting cast had a combined 69 Pro Bowls and 18 All-Pro (1st Team) selections between them. If you include his offensive lines, that makes 126 Pro Bowls and 33 All-Pro selections. By comparison, Emmitt's supporting cast had 48 Pro Bowls and 14 All-Pro selections.

If Jerry Rice is widely considered the GOAT wide receiver and gets a pass for the teammates he played with, why does Emmitt Smith get penalized for his teammates when his name is mentioned as an all-time great?

Emmitt's supporting cast was top-notch, but HE was the most important and indispensable out of the group. Even with all the talent that Emmitt had surrounding him, teams still feared him the most when they played the Cowboys. He routinely faced defenses stacked with 8 and 9 men in the box. They wanted to take their chances with the passing game and not let Emmitt get going.

I have a little bit more to add, but for right now I'll leave off here and give you a link to the article below:

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...itt-smith-is-also-the-greatest-rb-of-all-time

Its obvious Jerry is the best. Maybe Moss you could say is in the conversation.

Its obvious that Emmitt wasn't the best of all time. Loved the guy, but there have been better overall backs in history.

BigD_95

Reaction score
I just finished reading a BTB article that talks about this, and I saw in the comments that even Cowboys fans sell Emmitt short in this discussion. Without trying to sound biased, here are my thoughts on it:

Jerry Rice is the equivalent of Emmitt Smith at the wide receiver position. Just like Emmitt does for running back, he holds the majority of the major NFL records for receivers.

They also have a couple of career parallels: They both slid in the draft because of concerns over their measurables at the NFL Combine. Neither was the first player selected at their position in their drafts. They both won 3 Super Bowls. They even retired the same year.

But......Jerry actually played on more stacked teams than Emmitt. His supporting cast had a combined 69 Pro Bowls and 18 All-Pro (1st Team) selections between them. If you include his offensive lines, that makes 126 Pro Bowls and 33 All-Pro selections. By comparison, Emmitt's supporting cast had 48 Pro Bowls and 14 All-Pro selections.

If Jerry Rice is widely considered the GOAT wide receiver and gets a pass for the teammates he played with, why does Emmitt Smith get penalized for his teammates when his name is mentioned as an all-time great?

Emmitt's supporting cast was top-notch, but HE was the most important and indispensable out of the group. Even with all the talent that Emmitt had surrounding him, teams still feared him the most when they played the Cowboys. He routinely faced defenses stacked with 8 and 9 men in the box. They wanted to take their chances with the passing game and not let Emmitt get going.

I have a little bit more to add, but for right now I'll leave off here and give you a link to the article below:

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...itt-smith-is-also-the-greatest-rb-of-all-time

Amen brother!

Emmitt Smith is the greatest RB to play the game. He has the super bowls and the stats to prove it. Not just most rushing yards but also TD's.

BigD_95

Reaction score
Its obvious Jerry is the best. Maybe Moss you could say is in the conversation.

Its obvious that Emmitt wasn't the best of all time. Loved the guy, but there have been better overall backs in history.

its obvious you are wrong

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Barry was great, but he had to be in single set formations with a spread offense. Detroit tried to use a lead blocker and had to revert back. So no, Dallas wouldn't have won, they would have been the Detroit lions.

Barry didn't need a spread formation, that is nonsense. Barry didn't even need holes for heavens sake. If Barry had Emmitt type holes, he would have ran for 3000 yards.

And I can tell you that during the Emmitt years, I always said I would take Emmitt over Barry. But since I understand the NFL much better than I did back then, the truth is that Barr was the better back. Give me Emmitt possibly down at the 2 yard line or 3rd and 2 for consistency.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
its obvious you are wrong

If its obvious, then why is Jerry the GOAT? Heck he is the consensus best football player of all time, not just best receiver.

You are basically on a goat trail...…………...way up high...………….all alone.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Cowboy fans have done no favors to the goat when it comes to these type of conversations.

The fact that Emmitt is the league's all-time leading rusher yet fans feel threatened and defensive when Barry's name is mentioned tells me a whole lot.

BigD_95

Reaction score
I don't get into the Barry vs Emmitt debates.
Tomatoes--tomahtoes.

However, Barry was in such an unusual situation. The Lions front office seemed to not even care about winning at the time.
The dude was ahead of Emmitt at the time and on his way to breaking Payton's all-time rushing record and left while he was still dominating.
He averaged about 1700 yards a season his last 3 years! Insane.
And he was pulling away from Emmitt, as he had by then, outrushed him 3 straight years by a large margin
He was still in top shape and showing no signs of real decline.
If he played just 2-3 more years--and he could've gone way longer than that--he would still be holding all the records.

This is where you are wrong. Barry couldn't have played 2-3 more years or 1 more game. He quit because he couldn't play anymore. What he played was the max amount of games he could play mentally. Its not just about physical ability

If my aunt had balls she be my uncle.

If & but's are meaningless. He played what he played and thats the end of it.

BigD_95

Reaction score
If its obvious, then why is Jerry the GOAT? Heck he is the consensus best football player of all time, not just best receiver.

You are basically on a goat trail...…………...way up high...………….all alone.

Im talking about you saying there are obvious better rb than Smith. There isnt.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I remember the Niners trading up (I think it was with the Patriots) but I never heard the Bill Walsh story. Even as recently as the mid-80s scouting for talent was a lot different than today.
i saw the story on a Football Life on Jerry Rice.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Im talking about you saying there are obvious better rb than Smith. There isnt.

That's your opinion. Emmitt is my favorite cowboy of all time.

For me there are other backs I take over Emmitt.

Dickerson, Payton, Barry, Peterson, Tomlinson, Jim Brown, OJ. I take all those guys over Emmitt.

DFWJC

Reaction score
This is where you are wrong. Barry couldn't have played 2-3 more years or 1 more game. He quit because he couldn't play anymore. What he played was the max amount of games he could play mentally. Its not just about physical ability

If my aunt had balls she be my uncle.

If & but's are meaningless. He played what he played and that's the end of it.
Irrelevant anyway.
He played plenty long enough to establish what level of back he was.
If career stats were what he cared about, I assume he could own the total rushing yards record....easily. But he didn't play longer, so that is that.
He could've milked it, but he didn't
He wasn't driven by that.

No skin off my back either way. I'm not emotionally invested in Barry Sanders' career.

He left out of frustration after a fairly long and HOF career.
Was what it was.

Meanwhile, Frank Gore is now 3rd on the all-time rushing list.

Nav22

Reaction score
Yeah, your argument just doesn't make sense.

There is a case for Westbrook who shattered the triple-double record having a better season than Durant, while also holding advantages in every measurable statistical category, while there is no case for Iggy having a better season than 30+(3 on his own team) other players that year. You already know this, but have your heels dug in.

Fact is, if it was entirely based off of accolades, Kareem would be the GOAT, that's all I was pointing out.

Btw Steph didn't get robbed, Iggy was better for the very small sample size of the finals. This only further proves the point.

Kareem was the best player in the entire league 6 times, Jordan only 5. That's the point.
LOL!

You KO’d yourself by pretending Russell “1st Round Exit” Westbrook is anything more than a regular season stat-padder.

“Every measurable statistical category” LOLLLL what?? You ever hear of FG% or advanced stats? Defensive stats?

KD absolutely destroyed Westbrook in all the relevant numbers that actually lead to, you know, winning basketball games. That’s because KD is twice the player Russ is.

No, Russ didn’t have a better year than the hyper-efficient KD who tore through the league with Golden State and ended the season by dominating LeBron in the Finals before spraying champagne in Oracle Arena. I can’t believe I had to type that out.
:laugh:

And you’re essentially comparing Iggy’s Finals MVP to the ones Magic Johnson won to make your point. Yikes!

Kareem was still the 2nd-best player on his team for 4/6 of his championships. He didn’t carry the Lakers to 6 titles the way MJ carried the Bulls to 6 titles. I’m sorry that that kills your argument.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Bill Russell's name is never brought up in the conversation either. He changed the way the game was played and was even better on defense than offense. Oscar Roberston is another, but I think a lot of these kinda things are what have you done for me lately.
Right.

To say they are the GOAT because of total accolades just isn't the truth.