Emmitt Smith/Jerry Rice Double Standard (BTB)

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm a Cowboys homer cause I think Irvin was the only player from the Cowboys to be the best at his position....... unless you include Deion Sanders at
CB....... makes me a Cowboys homer, yep ok then buddy

Its my nice way of saying I dont agree with you.

Hell, there are a few receivers in todays game I would take over Irvin, let alone all time.

To put it gently........saying Irvin is the best receiver to ever play the game is just downright laughable.

Thats like saying that Aikman is the best QB of all time.

And yah, Deion Sanders is the best corner of all time.

Thomas82

Reaction score
Because the point you tried making is fundamentally flawed by your approach to comparative analysis.

“His (Rice’s) supporting cast had a combined 69 Pro Bowls and 18 All-Pro (1st Team) selections between them. [...] By comparison,Emmitt's supporting cast had 48 Pro Bowls and 14 All-Pro selections.“

Funny, you forgot to include the six extra seasons Rice played.

That’s like heehawing about how many more TDs Warren Moon has thrown than Dak Prescott but failing to acknowledge Moon played in 140 more games than Dak.

Again, we'll just agree to disagree.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Its my nice way of saying I dont agree with you.

Hell, there are a few receivers in todays game I would take over Irvin, let alone all time.

To put it gently........saying Irvin is the best receiver to ever play the game is just downright laughable.

Thats like saying that Aikman is the best QB of all time.

And yah, Deion Sanders is the best corner of all time.
And you saying Rice is the greatest football player of all time is laughable

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I just finished reading a BTB article that talks about this, and I saw in the comments that even Cowboys fans sell Emmitt short in this discussion. Without trying to sound biased, here are my thoughts on it:

Jerry Rice is the equivalent of Emmitt Smith at the wide receiver position. Just like Emmitt does for running back, he holds the majority of the major NFL records for receivers.

They also have a couple of career parallels: They both slid in the draft because of concerns over their measurables at the NFL Combine. Neither was the first player selected at their position in their drafts. They both won 3 Super Bowls. They even retired the same year.

But......Jerry actually played on more stacked teams than Emmitt. His supporting cast had a combined 69 Pro Bowls and 18 All-Pro (1st Team) selections between them. If you include his offensive lines, that makes 126 Pro Bowls and 33 All-Pro selections. By comparison, Emmitt's supporting cast had 48 Pro Bowls and 14 All-Pro selections.

If Jerry Rice is widely considered the GOAT wide receiver and gets a pass for the teammates he played with, why does Emmitt Smith get penalized for his teammates when his name is mentioned as an all-time great?

Emmitt's supporting cast was top-notch, but HE was the most important and indispensable out of the group. Even with all the talent that Emmitt had surrounding him, teams still feared him the most when they played the Cowboys. He routinely faced defenses stacked with 8 and 9 men in the box. They wanted to take their chances with the passing game and not let Emmitt get going.

I have a little bit more to add, but for right now I'll leave off here and give you a link to the article below:

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...itt-smith-is-also-the-greatest-rb-of-all-time

Emmitt was a stud...anyone that can play RB that long at such a high level is a stud...Jerry rice also played long time at high level..over 20 years and he got close or over 1000 yards with Oakland at 40 yrs old..they both are total studs

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
And you saying Rice is the greatest football player of all time is laughable

I said that some consider him that. Not sure I agree or not. Its at least a credible argument.
Your claim that Irvin is the best WR isn't even remotely credible.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I said that some consider him that. Not sure I agree or not. Its at least a credible argument.
Your claim that Irvin is the best WR isn't even remotely credible.
I haven't seen anywhere that people say Rice is the best football player of all time. Seen multiple all time drafts and never seen Rice as the first pick or even second pick and can't recall seeing him top 5 either.

As far as Irvin is concerned I don't need anybody to confirm what I see

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Emmitt is the greatest rb of all time they jus hate on him because he didn't have the explosive plays like sanders and he's a dallas cowboy

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I haven't seen anywhere that people say Rice is the best football player of all time. Seen multiple all time drafts and never seen Rice as the first pick or even second pick and can't recall seeing him top 5 either.

As far as Irvin is concerned I don't need anybody to confirm what I see

I saw a TV special and Rice was the #1 of all time. Kinda hard for me to have a WR as the best football player, but its a compelling argument.

As far as Irvin, you are certainly entitled. I would actually be shocked if you found ONE person that agreed with you that he was the best WR.

What about Aikman is he the best QB of all time in your book? No doubt you have Emmitt #1 back correct?

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I saw a TV special and Rice was the #1 of all time. Kinda hard for me to have a WR as the best football player, but its a compelling argument.

As far as Irvin, you are certainly entitled. I would actually be shocked if you found ONE person that agreed with you that he was the best WR.

What about Aikman is he the best QB of all time in your book? No doubt you have Emmitt #1 back correct?
It's clear either you can't read or you can't comprehend. I will make it simple for you.......... no other Cowboys player, other then Deion Sanders maybe Larry Allen, do I have as best at their position. So your stupid comments about Aikman and Emmitt is just that, stupid. Show me anywhere that I said they are the best. There goes your other stupid argument about me being a dumb Cowboys hater.

Also, for someone that doesn't think I have any football rationale and said you wouldn't talk to me you sure do reply a ton to my comments and over the past years liked a ton of my comments. For someone that can't talk rational football with someone you sure do reply and like it a lot.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It's clear either you can't read or you can't comprehend. I will make it simple for you.......... no other Cowboys player, other then Deion Sanders maybe Larry Allen, do I have as best at their position. So your stupid comments about Aikman and Emmitt is just that, stupid. Show me anywhere that I said they are the best. There goes your other stupid argument about me being a dumb Cowboys hater.

Also, for someone that doesn't think I have any football rationale and said you wouldn't talk to me you sure do reply a ton to my comments and over the past years liked a ton of my comments. For someone that can't talk rational football with someone you sure do reply and like it a lot.

LOL...…….I didn't say you said it. Notice the question mark. Simple question.

Did I say I wouldnt talk to you? I can see why. My bad...........I must have forgotten talking to you is like talking to some angry little moron.

I was trying to be nice, but since you opened up the insults I will oblige.

You saying that Michael Irvin is the best receivers of all time is 100% the absolute dumbest thing I have ever heard and its not even close. Talk about stupid? LOL You just wrote the book on stupid with that comment.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
LOL...…….I didn't say you said it. Notice the question mark. Simple question.

Did I say I wouldnt talk to you? I can see why. My bad...........I must have forgotten talking to you is like talking to some angry little moron.

I was trying to be nice, but since you opened up the insults I will oblige.

You saying that Michael Irvin is the best receivers of all time is 100% the absolute dumbest thing I have ever heard and its not even close. Talk about stupid? LOL You just wrote the book on stupid with that comment.
I haven't insulted you. You're the one that started the insults cause you can't have a difference of opinion without using insults. But go ahead and be salty and throw your little temper tantrum. The fact you call something the dumbest thing you ever heard..... although you have said that multiple times on other subjects..... without hearing why I think Irvin is the greatest receiver of all time tells me a ton about you.

Hell most of the Dak haters at least gives some type of reason before they are called out.

All that being said I did respect you as a poster on here even when I disagreed and I know you don't care what I think but I'm done with this conversation. Good day