Emmitt Smith says we are fine at RB

DenCWBY

Reaction score
You might recall that, but I'm pretty sure Murray had fewer runs for no gain or a loss per carry than any starting back last year.

I'd have to look into that to prove it, though, and I don't have time to do that right now.

Would be interesting stat to see. I'm packed too so perhaps it will get dug up when we have time.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
I am certainly no huge fan of McFadden but he runs tougher than you think. He's not some speed guy that just dances/looks for holes and space and turn on the speed. He runs tougher than people give him credit for. He' s no Lesean McCoy, for example.

Watched the Ryan Williams videos posted elsewhere on the site. If he still has those juke moves, watch out... He could be very dangerous behind this line. He seems to see the whole cut to it, and was very elusive , like McCoy, when confronted....

Hopefully this is what the coaches saw causing them to keep him , and develop his blocking skills.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
This is really a two way street. The Cowboys elected not to pay what Murray wanted and he left. I am all for people going out and trying to make what money they can. Got no issue with that but, it is also possible that Murray has made a bad choice and will regret having left Dallas for Philly. Make no mistake, he is going to have to have a better season then he did last year to be accepted in Philly. He's a former Cowboy, he's replaced a very popular player in Philly and he's making a lot of money. The chances of him ever duplicating what he did here in Dallas, in Philly, are pretty slim IMO. Everybody did what they did. That's fine but it is a two way street.

The Philly fans will not show him any tolerance if he doesn't perform wonders from game 1....

dallasdave

Reaction score
Watched the Ryan Williams videos posted elsewhere on the site. If he still has those juke moves, watch out... He could be very dangerous behind this line. He seems to see the whole cut to it, and was very elusive , like McCoy, when confronted....

Hopefully this is what the coaches saw causing them to keep him , and develop his blocking skills.

This is good to hear, did not know much about Williams.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
You might recall that, but I'm pretty sure Murray had fewer runs for no gain or a loss per carry than any starting back last year.

I'd have to look into that to prove it, though, and I don't have time to do that right now.

Murray actually led the league in carries for no gain or a loss -- 72 of them.

The list --

DeMarco Murray 72
LeSean McCoy 69
Arian Foster 53
Andre Williams 51
Frank Gore 51
Alfred Morris 51
Joique Bell 50
Matt Forte 50
Marshawn Lynch 48
Eddie Lacy 47
Justin Forsett 47
Andre Ellington 46
Tre Mason 45
Mark Ingram 43
Le'Veon Bell 42
Alfred Blue 41
Jonathan Stewart 39
Steven Jackson 38
Isaiah Crowell 37
Branden Oliver 36
Lamar Miller 36
Chris Ivory 35
Knile Davis 34
Terrance West 33
Trent Richardson 30
Jeremy Hill 30

windjc

Reaction score
If you watch Murray's runs he excelled - really one of the best in the league at it - in letting the play develop and bursting through the seem. Until the last 1/3 of the season when he wore down and his burst diminished. McFadden is not as patient of a runner and I am not sure his initial burst is as good as Murray.

Unbelievably McFadden fumbles more than Murray.

So Murray's the better back until proven otherwise.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Not sure how a better supporting cast would alter his tendency to incur injury.

Yes, Oakland sucks. Doesn't really matter because he couldn't stay on the field.

I hope he kills it, but doubting he is healthy enough to do so for more than a few games.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score

On a per-carry basis, among the top 17 RB in rushing attempts, Murray ranked in about the middle as far as runs for no gain or a loss.

He was 10th, after LBell, Lynch, Gore, Forte, Morris, Ingram, Hill, Miller, and Charles.

So about average.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Philly fans are brutal.

Born and raised there, but life long Dallas fan ,now living in sunny Fla. Always enjoy calls/texts/emails from brother in laws who are rabid fans, and already have their polish ready for first SB trophy because of Murray....

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

The list --

DeMarco Murray 72
LeSean McCoy 69
Arian Foster 53
Andre Williams 51
Frank Gore 51
Alfred Morris 51
Joique Bell 50
Matt Forte 50
Marshawn Lynch 48
Eddie Lacy 47
Justin Forsett 47
Andre Ellington 46
Tre Mason 45
Mark Ingram 43
Le'Veon Bell 42
Alfred Blue 41
Jonathan Stewart 39
Steven Jackson 38
Isaiah Crowell 37
Branden Oliver 36
Lamar Miller 36
Chris Ivory 35
Knile Davis 34
Terrance West 33
Trent Richardson 30
Jeremy Hill 30

Thanks. Of course, his numbers should be higher in this category because of the amount of carries he received. The per-carry numbers would be more telling.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
On a per-carry basis, among the top 17 RB in rushing attempts, Murray ranked in about the middle as far as runs for no gain or a loss.

He was 10th, after LBell, Lynch, Gore, Forte, Morris, Ingram, Hill, Miller, and Charles.

So about average.

I appreciate you providing these numbers, Percy. Overall, 10th is not bad, but it certainly leaves room for improvement. I'm not sure the backs we have can improve on that number, though, but we'll see.

DFWJC

Reaction score

The list --

DeMarco Murray 72
LeSean McCoy 69
Arian Foster 53
Andre Williams 51
Frank Gore 51
Alfred Morris 51
Joique Bell 50
Matt Forte 50
Marshawn Lynch 48
Eddie Lacy 47
Justin Forsett 47
Andre Ellington 46
Tre Mason 45
Mark Ingram 43
Le'Veon Bell 42
Alfred Blue 41
Jonathan Stewart 39
Steven Jackson 38
Isaiah Crowell 37
Branden Oliver 36
Lamar Miller 36
Chris Ivory 35
Knile Davis 34
Terrance West 33
Trent Richardson 30
Jeremy Hill 30

:lmao:Exact opposite of what has been stated
Thanks for the facts

dckid

Reaction score
Well guys no one will complain that we need to get Randle and Dunbar more touches. As long as the backs can pass protect all three should equal out to 30 carries a game between them.

Frozen700

Reaction score
What does he know about running backs? There are pros on this site.

It's ok. When one of our running backs, or our run game in general, looks legit. They will pretend they never said anything, and cheer like they been there.

Like Emmit said, 1 thing DMC has the Murray does not, is speed. If he get's those holes that Murray had, it won't just be a nice 10-15 yard gain.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
:lmao:Exact opposite of what has been stated
Thanks for the facts
That was actually a little (unintentionally) misleading, since Murray led the league in attempts by a large margin. He was far from the best or the worst -- he was about average.

DFWJC

Reaction score
That was actually a little (unintentionally) misleading, since Murray led the league in attempts by a large margin. He was far from the best or the worst -- he was about average.

Yeah, I know.
400 touches will get you higher on a lot totals type lists.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Born and raised there, but life long Dallas fan ,now living in sunny Fla. Always enjoy calls/texts/emails from brother in laws who are rabid fans, and already have their polish ready for first SB trophy because of Murray....

The old vet those guys were nuts