ESPN’s future power rankings predicts a mediocre status for Cowboys over next three years

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you really think ANY multi billion dollar company does not go through reorganization and layoffs?

Do you? Really?

I’m hoping I don’t have to go into the whole ‘why TV ratings are down’ thing with you . ESPN is adapting by going to online content . 20 years ago sports center was the only way to get highlights and catch up on your sports , now not so much so it should not come as a surprise to anyone with half a brain that SC ratings are lower. Well, DUH

These are just comments by message board posters who are ignorant or butt hurt that ESPN is “against” their favorite team

They are a multi billion dollar franchise and by far the most dominant sports network in the world but you know better?

LOL
sure
Whatever
Yes, some companies do that and mostly to affect the stock price but anyone who has invested or watched businesses will look for the pattern. ESPN didn't do this once, they've done it 3 times and as one of my old bosses used to tell me "you cannot save your way into profit". Expense cutting through firings, those were not layoffs, the positions were terminated, more than once in 5 years is the sign of danger.

ESPN's problem is they're not growing. In that industry, you grow or die. They overpaid for the rights fees because they knew CBS, NBC and FOX were coming and they wanted to set up their defense. They cannot clear a profit on MNF, they pay more than they can generate because cable nets can't get network rates. 18% of the TV sets in this country are still unwired.

Their dominance is through what's making them bleed, rights fees to college football, NFL, NBA and MLB, they are totally dependent on what's causing them to keep cutting expenses. We have not seen the worst yet.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
According to their rankings, it's not the QB that's the biggest issue. It's the coaching position over the next three years. Does that ranking reflect the uncertainty that Garrett may not even be here beyond a year?
Same people hiring the HC.

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
I read the article. Dallas is way too low, they should be top ten. However, I have questions because of Jason Garrett. If Dallas does not make the NFC Championship game (haven't played in one since the 1995 season) how can you say he can get this talented core to win Super Bowl? He is 0-3 in the divisional round. This team has three all-pro linemen locked up until the 2023/2024 season, a pro-bowl pass rusher until 2023, and a young linebacker until 2022 who they will probably resign. Factor in Dak (yes he is going to get paid and yes he has to keep improving, I think he will) and possibly Zeke, Amari, Jaylon, and Byron. This team drafts so well so the list could expand. There is NO REASON whatsoever the Dallas Cowboys cannot win a Super Bowl in the next three to five season. If Dallas isn't playing beyond January 12 (and no not the F'ing Pro-Bowl), Garrett needs to go.

CWR

Reaction score
Wow, lol they punked Garrett and our coaching staff. 31!

CWR

Reaction score
The only thing I hate is the quality of the HC.

And after watching this guy for a decade, there is plenty of reasons why. It should be obvious to anyone paying attention.

There is no way Jason Garrett will win a Super Bowl as a head coach. No way.

Not a Garrett guy myself. I know his strengths and am all too clear on his weaknesses. That said, I remember years ago thinking no way Dilfer wins a superbowl. The right roster and staff can carry any one individual and mask his short comings.

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
I'm taking a poke at it...they graded coaching, QB, roster non qb, draft, and front office on great, very good, average, very bad, disastrous. Here is my take on NFL teams during the next three years. I'll list the best and worst thing about each team.

Should contend for a Super Bowl
Chiefs
- Best: Mahomes Worst: Defense
Patriots- Best: Coaching and Front Office Worst: How much longer will Brady play?
Eagles- Best: Coaching Worst: Wentz's health
Saints- Best: Coaching and draft Worst: How much longer will Brees play?
Cowboys Best: Draft and talent Worst: Coaching
Rams- Best: Coaching Worst: Gurley's health and draft
Colts- Best: Draft, coach, front office Worst: Can Luck stay healthy. I'm high on Indy but they had one good year. Previous teams have multiple playoff appearances the last three years.

Probable playoff teams and potential division winners but still missing something. Good drafts can boost them into SB contenders.

Bears
Best: Defense Worst: I just don't trust Trubisky. Not sure Nagy is as good as they say (better than Garrett though)
Browns Best: Baker and the roster Worst: Kitchens is unknown. Can he handle the locker room?
Seahawks Best: Russell Worst: Carroll and that front office are so overrated. They haven't drafted all that well.
Falcons Best: Matt Ryan Worst: Coaching. Dan Quinn needs to go.
Chargers Best: Lots of young talent. Worst: Health and how much longer will Rivers play?
Steelers Best: Stable organization. Never too bad. Worst: Defense and how much longer will Big Ben play.
Ravens Best: Stable organization. Coaching Worst: Lamar must improve as a passer
Vikings Best: Solid collection of talent. Worst: Cousins contract was a disaster. Zimmer isn't that great of a coach.
Texans Best: Deshaun Watson Worst: No GM, O Line
Jaguars Best: Foles, Solid talent on defense Worst: I think Ramsey and Fournette are huge locker room problems. Trade them.
49ers Best: That defense will be top 5 this year. Worst: Jimmy G. Not sure I buy him just yet. I can see him being a top QB or a bust.
Packers Best: Rodgers Worst: Not a lot of talent on that roster. New unknown coach.
Panthers Best: Solid pieces with CMC and Kuechly Worst: Cam is on the downside of his career, haven't really drafted that well.

Arrow pointing down or a few things keeping them from the playoffs. Really need to hit on the upcoming drafts.
Titans
Best: Decent players here and there Worst: Mariota: Can't stay healthy and can't throw.
Commanders Best: Decent players. Like Haskins a lot Worst: Snyder. He can't run an organization.
Buccaneers Best: Bruce Arians Worst: Winston makes terrible decisions. Haven't drafted all that well.
Bills Best: Defense is solid. Worst: May have the worst offense in the league. A lot riding on Josh Allen
Broncos Best: Love the duo of Miller and Chubb Worst: Elway needs to go...
Lions Best: Solid players of defense. Worst: Patricia is the worst coach in the league. Stafford on the downside of his career.
Jets Best: Darnold. I think he is a future pro-bowler Worst: Gase. I think he pissed a lot of people off.
Raiders Best: Young talent and AB Worst: Derek Carr

Will be picking in the top ten of the draft for the next three seasons...a disaster
Bengals
Best: Zac Taylor is a young offensive mind Worst: Injuries and poor drafts
Dolphins Best: Josh Rosen. I think he has a solid year. Worst: No talent at all. It's pretty bad...
Giants Best: Saquon Worst: Gettleman. What is he doing? A lot riding on Daniel Jones..
Cardinals Best: Kyler. He is a talent no doubt. Worst: Hired a college coach with a losing record, GM, and the O Line

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Untitled
2019 ESPN Future Power Rankings Cowboys Score NFL Rank
Overall roster (minus quarterback) 84.7 4
Quarterback 80.3 15
Coaching 67.3 31
Draft 80.7 7
Front Office 80 8
Via ESPN

No surprise on the coaching scores as the weak link. Too negative on the coaching score. Fair enough on gameday, but player prep and development is at least ok.

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
No surprise on the coaching scores as the weak link. Too negative on the coaching score. Fair enough on gameday, but player prep and development is at least ok.
No way is Garrett and the staff is #31 in the league. They are average and but they hold us back. Everything else seems about right. Dak has to keep getting better. They should be around #10.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The worldwide leader evaluated each team based on a few categories: each team’s roster (non-QB), quarterback, draft, front office and coaching. When you look at the Cowboys they have a superb non-quarterback roster, and their front office continues to replenish it. Those are hallmark traits of this organization and have been for almost a decade now.

Where the Cowboys appear to be the most vulnerable (potentially) is at the game’s most important position - quarterback. If Dak Prescott is the player that doubters believe he is, well, welcome to purgatory; however, if Dak is the ascending talent that those optimists know him as, you can make the argument that this is one of the best and most stable rosters of the next three years.

Untitled
2019 ESPN Future Power Rankings Cowboys Score NFL Rank
Overall roster (minus quarterback) 84.7 4
Quarterback 80.3 15
Coaching 67.3 31
Draft 80.7 7
Front Office 80 8
Via ESPN

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...ocre-status-for-cowboys-over-next-three-years
:espn: