News: ESPN: Chris Jones didn't let anybody in on the fake punt secret

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
As great of a play that was...I don't want to see it again this seasaon. Teams will definately be watching for it now. If Jones thinks he can fool everyone again...he's mistaken. :rolleyes:

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
I don't think Garrett liked it at all, judging by his reaction but good for Jones. He is a high-IQ player, something that this team needs more of at key positions besides Lee at LB. Players who know how to play the game apart from a script by using their instincts.

Exactly. It was a high percentage play, and in football you play the percentages. The play changed the entire game - without that fake punt, it’s very likely that we lose the game.

I’ll take this a step further. The option needs to stay on the table going forward. It’s a nice wrinkle and we should make opponents pay if they try to stack one side of the line and drop two players back to receive.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Best way to keep a secret is to tell no one, including his own team ... and to think I thought we had coaches with backbone.

I don't think there really is an oppootunity to tell anyone. "Based on the look" has to be after any kind of huddle. I don't think the punt team huddles anyway. While I think this is his option, I doubt the coaches would have approved it in this situation. He may have more limited parameters in the future. 4th and 11 at your own 24 was probably not in the discussion

erod

Reaction score
Told you Garrett didn’t make that call...

Smh at people giving Garrett credit.

He’s been here 8 years and has been a pansey with no fail.

Yes and no.

Garrett can put on the fake or take it off. However, most of the time when it's "on", Jones still punts because the look doesn't allow for it.

This time, the guys on the right looped around for a blocking formation, and Jones saw it, and took off.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
He didn't anyone else screwing up the play so he told no one.

A lesson tony two times had to learn the hard way

lukin2006

Reaction score
I don't think there really is an oppootunity to tell anyone. "Based on the look" has to be after any kind of huddle. I don't think the punt team huddles anyway. While I think this is his option, I doubt the coaches would have approved it in this situation. He may have more limited parameters in the future. 4th and 11 at your own 24 was probably not in the discussion

I think in most instances it not up for discussion, in this game, why not? Even if we win out our odds are not great to make the playoffs, but to win out this is team is going to have to take chances that normally they wouldn't. I like the call by Jones...

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Exactly. It was a high percentage play, and in football you play the percentages. The play changed the entire game - without that fake punt, it’s very likely that we lose the game.

I’ll take this a step further. The option needs to stay on the table going forward. It’s a nice wrinkle and we should make opponents pay if they try to stack one side of the line and drop two players back to receive.
The option is and will always be there.