ESPN Chris Mortensen Chat Wrap - 10/8/08...3 'boys blurb

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Damien (KY): morning chris should the eagle sit westbrook this week with the bye next week i know he is a big part of thier offence

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (11:10 AM ET ) In talking with guys who have had this kind of rib injury, it's very panful...technicaly, he could take an injection, wear a flak jacket, etc., and then try to get even more healed during bye. it makes more sense to rest him this week annd not subject him to all those things. They are still capable of winning without him this wek vs. 49ers, although it's not a gimme game by any means.

David (Houston, TX): Matt Schaub is to start this week for the Texans, good move?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (11:12 AM ET ) Matt Scaub played really well against the Jaguars the week before and then he got sick this week. I do believe had Sage Rosenfels delivered a victory, Sage might be starting. I feel really bad for Sage - he was just competing too hard if that's possible. And the Texans have had a very tough hand dealt to them with Hurricane Ike....I believe they are a franchise to be reckoned with going forward, whether that's with Schaub or Rosenfels at QB.

Casper (Romulus, NY): Chris, what are the odds Dante Culpepper gets a look from an NFL team this year. i know he has retired, but I believe if contacted, he would consider playing again.

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (11:13 AM ET ) I don't know on Daunte. He turned down an opportunity with the Packers back in April and he has been emphatic with different people that he is staying retired. I would lean on the side of saying he's coming back at some point.

Derek (Albany, NY): Mort, Why is everyone saying the Cowboys are in trouble after a sloppy win vs the Bengals, yes everyone is saying how good the Giants team is when the Giants haven't really beaten any good team (Commanders weren't a good team week 1) and after they had to go into OT in order to beat the Bengals?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (11:15 AM ET ) I think I agree with you and I understand Wade Phillips' point of view. It's too difficult to win in this league. And the Bengals did take the Giants to OT - not ecause the Giants were flat but the Bengals played that well. Bengals probably owuld ave beaten Browns if Carson Palmer were healthy. This season has a long way to go but I will say the Giants, Cowboyss, Eagles & Commanders are all very, very good teams.

Mike (West Palm beach fl): What do you think of the Miami Dolphins franchise right now? And how long do you think it will be before the Dolphins are a top 5 team in the leauge?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (11:17 AM ET ) What a starking contrast in terms of night-and-day physical & mental approach. Tony Sparano, the coach, has instilled that attitude. Perosnnel wise, they're pretty good - once they get receivers and improve secondary, I would not be surprised if we're talking playoffs in next year or two.

Will J (Portland, OR): Mort, are the Titans for real? How much longer will Collins be the QB? I'm sure VY is getting pretty close to 100% (physically anyway).

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (11:20 AM ET ) It doesn't matter if Vy is 100 percent. This is Kerry Collins' team. Now if Collins goes into a bad slump and he's the reason they lose two or three games in a row, then maybe they would think about a change. But the way their team is built, the style of play, they're sticking with Collins. Remember, this team went to the playoffs with VY having a fairly poor season last year.

David (Houston, TX): Will Matt Leinart ride the bench all season? What about next year as Kurt Warner is a Free Agent who wants to stay in Arizona?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (11:22 AM ET ) Arizona's only mindset is to win the division, so there's not thought of getting Leinart ready for the future. He's had enough play-time in the league to take over, if necessary. Warner wants to play next year if all goes well and he stays healthy - I know, I talked to him Monday about it. I just think a lot depends on how the rest of the season plays out. They have 11 games left, right? and maybe the playoffs.

SprungOnSports (Long Island): Mort, what's your take on Gregg Easterbrook's article on Eli being better than Peyton?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (11:24 AM ET ) I haven't read it but I would not take that leap. If I put Peyton with the Giants' O-line & run game, it would be pretty interesting. But Peyton has said he truly expects Eli to win multiple Super Bowls. With Tom Brady out, Peyton is the best QB in the NFL. I think Eli is proving that he is one of the best.

Jay (Middletown, CT): Mort, given the past drafts by Mike Shanahan, is he starting to come back to the "Mastermind" side he once was known for since he has found studs like Marshall, Cutler, Royal, Clady, Harris, Scheffler etc who have excelled?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (11:27 AM ET ) Yeah, the guys you just mentioned show that his evaluation of the offensive talent is pretty good. I would say that maybe in an effort to get back to the Super Bowl, they reached or made mistakes on free agents but that's Mike's mindset: Super Bowl or bust. For all the talk about the rookie running backs, I think Ryan Clady at LT is a rookie of the year candidate, much like Joe Thomas was a year ago in Cleveland.

Tom(Richmond, VA): Is the Panthers Defense as good as it appears or is it the competition? If so, are they are legit contender?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (11:29 AM ET ) I think the Panthers are the one team in the NFC that those NFC East teams better watch out for (maybe the Bears, too). They haven't allowed a TD in 9 quarters and the offense is helping with the ground game (DeAngelo Williams & Jonathan Stewart), a QB you gotta root for in Jake Delhomme and some mojo back at receivers with Seve Smith and Muhsin Muhammad. Watch out for the Panthers!

PJ (Atlanta): Hey Mort, have you heard anything about the trade rumors surrounding Roy Williams and TJ Houshmandzadeh? I've heard the 49ers are looking to make a deal. Is the true? If so, how will affect the teams involved, and how what kind of draft pick will be needed to get this deal done?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (11:31 AM ET ) I have heard the rumors but can't seem to nail down their substance. The trade deadline is next Tuesday. Both guys will be free agents at the end of the year. The Chargers gave up a 2nd rounder for Chris Chambers last year so that would seem to be the market value IF it happens.

Mark (Boston): Is Matt Ryan a definite Rookie of the year?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (11:33 AM ET ) Ryan will be a candidate, but let's see what the record looks like at the end of the year. Either way, it's clear they made a very wise choice and I think the philosophy of head coach Mike Smith and offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey has really helped Ryan.

Mike (San Diego): Mort, what's your thoughts on Croyle going up against that nasty Titans D? A bit sadistic, if you ask me.

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (11:34 AM ET ) I hadn't thought of that but you may be right. Both teams have a bye and the game will be in KC, so maybe that'll help. Larry Johnson will need a big day for the Chiefs.

Kyle (Davie,FL): Chris, have the Dolphins been "Awesome" this year or are people overrating them? I live in south Florida, but i cannot stand the Dolphins and all i hear is how the Dolphins are "Great" and "Awesome"what do you think?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (11:35 AM ET ) How about improved? How about much physically and mentally tougher? How about respectable? That's a lot of progress.

Mikey(Lackawanna,NY): Mort, Whats the opinions of your ESPN conterparts on the Bills 2nd yr QB Trent Edwards? How good can this kid turn out to be?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (11:38 AM ET ) Mostly, our ESPN analysts are positive about Trent. But the concern about him from them - and I have heard this from teams - is how durable he'll be. That was an issue at Stanford. I do think that the O line is struggling protecting - clearly, Jason Peters missing camp hurt the Bills. And the defense has to shore some things up. The next four games after the bye will determine the Bills' hopes for the playoffs.

Cheng (Boulder, CO): I'm with Kyle. I lived in Miami and when the Dolphins are losing, fans are fickle. When things are going well, it's Super Bowl or bust even though chances were they weren't going to make it.

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (11:40 AM ET ) I will say this: I was very disappointed and surprised when I saw how many empty orange seats I saw during the Dolphins- Chargers game. Pretty disappointing. I know there are a lot of transplants there but that's not a real NFL town if they're that fair-weathered.

Brian(Dallas): I read yesterday that DA has not been the same since getting a concussion against the Giants in preseason and that is why he has been off. Do you think that is the case or is it a combo of teams figuring him out and injuries to the team? Thanks.

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (11:42 AM ET ) I do think DA's concussion was a setback but the collective injuries to the line and receiving corps (plus defense) has all contributed to the problem.

Josh in MD: Can the NFL do anything to strip Al Davis of his power in Oakland in a similar way MLB forced out Marge Schott? He is an embarrassment to the NFL

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (11:42 AM ET ) No, that won't happen.

Jeff (San Diego, CA): Mort, what's your take on the Saints? Missed FGs by Gramatica cost them victories against Denver & Minnesota, as such, they should be 4-1. The injuries they've faced are brutal as well.

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (11:48 AM ET ) Yeah, I think the Saints have hit some hard times...injuries, bad officiating and Gramatica. Somehow, they have to stay above water. The Vikings' game...I put on the Saints, regardless of the circumstances. I picked them to win the NFc South - not impossible but Panthers are now the team to beat, I think...and Bucs & Falcons aren't pushovers, as you know.

PT (Franklin, NC): We know you probably will hate to say anything good about the Raiders, given Al's comments, but is there any sort of positive outlook on the rest of the season there?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (11:50 AM ET ) I have said the Raiders have been very competitive the past year and a half. Really, if they had some receivers, they probably would be 3-1. if McFadden and Fargas can get healthy, then they will win more games. I do think the Kiffin firing was a mistake.

Bob (PA): If you're starting a team tomorrow, who would you take: Eli or Ben?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (11:52 AM ET ) So I don't get to take Cutler? Well, I'd probably lean toward Eli but Ben is quite a talent. We have some pretty good young QBs in the league in that 3-to-6-year range.

Andrew (Sprinfield, MA): After another decent start fromMatt Cassell how do you see him progressing as a an NFL QB and the team as a whole? Do you think theres a chance that some other team might try to pick him up if his season starts to take off and the Pats make it to the Playoffs?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (11:54 AM ET ) Matt Cassell has some relay physical gifts - ask Tom Brady. I thought this win agains 49ers was huge for him. He's got the arm, he has sme athletic abillity - experience is the big issue because he didn't play very much in college. I suspect Belichick, as usual, got everyone around Cassell to focus and pick up their game. Under those cirucmstances, the Pats are still the team to beat in the AFC East but it is more competitive from top to bottom with Bills, Jets and Dolphins.

Larry (Pasco, WA): Hey Mort, we've seen the Chargers come back from a terrible start last year, but they were not as banged up as this year (not to mention a tough upcoming schedule). Do you see them turning things around? What do you think their record will be at the end of the year?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (11:57 AM ET ) I picked them to win the Super Bowl so that should have told you right then you were in trouble. They actually had their entire offense together for the first time vs. Miami. I think nothaving Jyles Tucker (Merriman's replacement) was a big deal. They have a couple ofther concerns on defense and I thought Phillip Rivers just stopped throwing the ball as well the past two games compared to the way he started. But let 'em play. Interesting game vs. Patriots this week.

Tim: Mort, do the steelers have what it takes to take down the No.1 spot in AFC and make another superbowl run? I think this bye week is perfect for them right now

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (11:59 AM ET ) Well, I was really impressed with how they found a way to win vs. Jags. I love their defense (kudos again to Dick LeBeau), I love their linebackers and I think Aaron Smith on the DL is one of the most underrated players in the NFL from the past 10 years. I still worry about that O-line but, otherwise, if they can get healtheir after bye, I put 'em in that mix, yes.

Jerry Futrell (Tallahassee, FL): Mort it's Brandon Jacobs contract year, and right now he's severely underpaid. Do you think he will seek top 5 RB money this year from the Giants or the highest bidder?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (12:00 PM ET ) Interesting question. Jacobs is a beast and a big part of their identity. Top 5 money? Not sure he'll get it because the nature of the position but he's so unique.

Mike (Dallas): Are the Cowboys not inspired, or is Phillips too soft?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (12:01 PM ET ) Are the Cowboys 4-1?

Ryon (Kenosha, WI): Will Lane Kiffin become a head coach in the NFL, or an assistant on Jon Gruden's staff, or will he go back to College Football?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (12:01 PM ET ) I'm hearing Kiffin is prominent on come college lists and that's where I figure he'll end up.

PT (Franklin, NC): Do you think the Raiders should look to pickup Roy Williams in a trade?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (12:02 PM ET ) Yeah, that's a good one but he's going to be a free agent & Al dumped a lot of money on Javon Walker, not to mention others. And the Raiders are facing serious sal cap issues next year.

JP (NYC): I know all the Cowboy fans are livid about these power rankings and all, but lets be honest. The G-Men have the #1 rushing game in the NFL. The #1 total offense in the NFL. The #3 defense in the NFL and are the defending Super Bowl Champions. They have gotten better each week. The Cowboys, on the other hand, have a not so great D and even when they win it looks like T.O. causes controversy in the locker room. Also, to all the Cowboy fans who point out the G-Men win over the Commanders was when the Skins weren't that good, ask them how they feel about thier win over the Eagles who now have a loosing record. Lets face facts. Right now, regardless of who everyone has played, the Giants look like the best team in the NFL.

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (12:03 PM ET ) As for power rankings, do you think the Giants will get an Orange Bowl berth?

Steven (Hampton Va): Sir, do you think Cortland Finnegan has a shot at making his first Pro Bowl following the season?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (12:04 PM ET ) Yes, absolutely. Cortland just has to be careful not to irritate too many players with his overly aggressive style of play - but when you're undersized and people have been telling you all your life, you're too small, you get an attitude. I would vote him if the voting ended now.

Ryon (Kenosha, WI): At 2-3 - are the Packers "doomed" or is it too early to say?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (12:05 PM ET ) Way too early. Obviously, the injuries on defense have hurt and they need to get Ryan Grant going on offense.

Mike (Dallas): Mort, seriously you have to acknowledge that the Cowboys are not playing to their full capabilites, whether it is play calling, or dissention in the ranks...

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (12:07 PM ET ) I really only questioned the play calling in the Commanders game. I don't have a lot ofproblems with anything else I've seen. I will say that I thought the secondary would be much better than it is. There's no dissension. They've won four of five games. Did we think they were the '07 Patriots? No, but the Pats did get beat by the Giants, remember?

Jose, OH: Has Derrick Anderson or Brady Quinn been taking the snaps with the No. 1 offense? What do think the chances of Brady Quinn will start after next week?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (12:08 PM ET ) Derek Anderson will start. I really like Quinn but the Browns are pretty sure that BQ would have had similar issues with the problems that have existed around the QB.

Ryon (Kenosha, WI): Aaron Rodgers quarterback rating is currently at 95.5 if I'm not mistaken. If he continues to statistically play well.. Is it possible for him to make it to a Pro Bowl?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (12:09 PM ET ) Sure, if you think that's important. But i see Eli getting his first Pro Bowl, probably Romo again, too, then you have McNabb & Jason Campbell...Kurt Warner...oh, did I mentioned we're only five weeks into the season?

Adam (Chicago): Is Kyle Orton actually a "Good" QB? (I can't believe I just typed that)

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (12:11 PM ET ) I always thought he had a chance to be a good QB. He throws a good ball. So much was going to depend upon the O-line and having a run game, too. So, yes, I think he's a good QB right now. Good for him.

Kevin (NYC): Should the Brown have sold high on Derek in the offseason? If they think Quinn is the guy shouldn't they have sold on DA when he was at his peak?

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (12:13 PM ET ) First of all, they think DA is the guy. But they played this smart, just as the Chargers had to go thru the Brees-Rivers situation - you wait 2 years and then make a decision. People just don't want to understand the issues the Browns have had really do impact the QB, whether it would be DA, BQ, Tom Brady, Peyton Mannng, etc.

Dave (San Diego): I hate to play the disrespect card, but you were asked about Eli and Ben and replied with Cutler. I just don't get the fascination with him (or Rivers either).

Dave (San Diego): I hate to play the disrespect card, but you were asked about Eli and Ben and replied with Cutler. I just don't get the fascination with him (or Rivers either).

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (12:16 PM ET ) really? You are in a small, small minority. You don't find the arm, the accuracy, the athleticism, the physical and mental toughness in one package like you do with Cutler. In year 3, he's made a big leap (heck, look at the stats from first 2 years.....very respectable) and that's playing on a team that has a shaky defense. It's only going to get better. And I like Rivers, too; it's just that Cutler has some natural, God-given gifts that are a cut above. Once he harnesses all of that, and the Broncos upgrade the defense, they're winning a Super Bowl.

sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (12:17 PM ET ) I have to run and do some other work, so thanks again for the time. Friday night radio 7-9 ET and Sunday NFL Countdown 11-1 ET. Until then, God Bless!

Reaction score
I like that orange bowl answer, hit the nail on the head with that one. People put so much emphasis on a power ranking its pretty dumb and meaningless. Not to mentention the Pats were #1 all last year in every power ranking and lost in the SB, even though it was a fluke.

CoCo

Reaction score
Just reading Mort's Cowboy comments I'd have to say he's taking a pretty level-headed approach to this all.

Eagles, Cowboys, Commanders and Giants are all very good at this juncture. Realistically there will be rising & falling amongst these 4 teams the rest of the year.

I personally think the Cowboys have the greatest potential to separate themselves and win the division but its far from a given.

Even then, the playofss will be a whole new challenge.

We need to enjoy the fact that we have a team right in the thick of things that will experience some ups and downs no matter where we end up.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2318711 said:
sn2.gif
Chris Mortensen: (11:15 AM ET ) I think I agree with you and I understand Wade Phillips' point of view. It's too difficult to win in this league. And the Bengals did take the Giants to OT - not ecause the Giants were flat but the Bengals played that well. Bengals probably owuld ave beaten Browns if Carson Palmer were healthy. This season has a long way to go but I will say the Giants, Cowboyss, Eagles & Commanders are all very, very good teams.

I can't believe Mort does these drunk, the man's a shambles.

MONT17

Reaction score
If it was the other way around and the gs lost at home and needed a tipd ball to beat the Bengals I would be all over the Giants! But they won the game then came out after a poor performance and waxed the Hawks. Does anyone really think the winless Bengals r better than the Seahawks? Really do u think that?

alancdc

Reaction score
D41lasCowboys31;2318787 said:
I like that orange bowl answer, hit the nail on the head with that one. People put so much emphasis on a power ranking its pretty dumb and meaningless. Not to mentention the Pats were #1 all last year in every power ranking and lost in the SB, even though it was a fluke.

Also, IMO, the ONLY reason the Eagles and Packers are struggling is because of injuries to Westbrook and Rogers. When we beat those 2 teams they were playing really good football so the comparison with the Giants beating the Skins in week one is not apples to apples. I can guarantee you the Giants are thrilled to have gotten Washington in week 1 before they started clicking. It really doesn't matter cause we could go 15-1 and until Romo and co win in January no one will care.

alancdc

Reaction score
MONT17;2319018 said:
If it was the other way around and the gs lost at home and needed a tipd ball to beat the Bengals I would be all over the Giants! But they won the game then came out after a poor performance and waxed the Hawks. Does anyone really think the winless Bengals r better than the Seahawks? Really do u think that?

Away from Seattle, yes they may be as bad as the Bengals.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
alancdc;2319120 said:
Away from Seattle, yes they may be as bad as the Bengals.

Hassellbeck ain't half the QB Palmer is, IMO. Seattle is worse.............