News: ESPN: Cowboys counting on Jaylon Smith but some mystery remains

Whyjerry

Reaction score
The fan feelings towards Jaylon Smith are so interesting. Universally he is acknowledged to be a great guy and his comeback inspiring. On draft day most saw it as potentially huge value but he would need a year. Last August rumors were circulating that he was done. Remember the limp video - chaos. Fans start ripping the pick. He makes it through camp and flashes. No one seems to care that the guy had not played in about a year and a half. The moron coaching staff throws him to the wolves week one. Starting. Clearly the foot is not 100 pct and clearly his timing was off. People rip the guy. Blame the coaches for forcing him into more playing time than he should have gotten. Looked bad at times but he did flash. Clearly he is a special athlete. Quietly the guy starts to play well in spot playing time. By the end of the season he was very solid and flashed rare ability. Remember him firing through the gap for that sack? All around it was a more than solid year for a red shirt rookie off a horrible injury. Many thought he would never play yet he is among the team leaders in tackles.

Year 2 I expect the guy to ball out. Will he be perfect - No. That said, he might be the most dynamic defender on this team. Show the guy some patience please.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Jaylon needs to be able stand solely on his affected leg and be able to raise and lower his body weight while flexing on the balls of his foot with the heal slightly not touching the floor. Give it a try yourself.
You aren't going to make me exercise! I know your game...

Doomsay

Reaction score
"Cowboys counting on Jaylon Smith" but some mystery remains

Mostly, like, why?

Wood

Reaction score
So is he playing with a brace?

:popcorn:

I think at this point you have to assume he will always play with brace. Has to understand his limitations so he doesn't give up cut-backs but I still think he can have decent career.

1972COWBOY

Reaction score
I think Jason is going to surprise some in a good way. Just because they are not giving updates there is no reason to be chicken littles.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
He actually surprised me toward the end of last season. Early in the season you could tell he was trying to get a feel on how to play with his dropfoot. He really couldn't move laterally once he got into the hole. I think he will be the real deal. Finally had a whole season of football and will not be babied through the ota's and camp. Hopefully his dropfoot has improved since last season. I think he will end up being the biggest playmaker on this defense.

phildadon86

Reaction score
The fan feelings towards Jaylon Smith are so interesting. Universally he is acknowledged to be a great guy and his comeback inspiring. On draft day most saw it as potentially huge value but he would need a year. Last August rumors were circulating that he was done. Remember the limp video - chaos. Fans start ripping the pick. He makes it through camp and flashes. No one seems to care that the guy had not played in about a year and a half. The moron coaching staff throws him to the wolves week one. Starting. Clearly the foot is not 100 pct and clearly his timing was off. People rip the guy. Blame the coaches for forcing him into more playing time than he should have gotten. Looked bad at times but he did flash. Clearly he is a special athlete. Quietly the guy starts to play well in spot playing time. By the end of the season he was very solid and flashed rare ability. Remember him firing through the gap for that sack? All around it was a more than solid year for a red shirt rookie off a horrible injury. Many thought he would never play yet he is among the team leaders in tackles.

Year 2 I expect the guy to ball out. Will he be perfect - No. That said, he might be the most dynamic defender on this team. Show the guy some patience please.
Great write up man. Its amazing how fast our fans are willing to say this guy will never be who he was after one full season under his belt after not playing football for almost 2 years and a horrible injury. But, you know. Cowboys fans