ESPN: Don't Be Surprised If Tony Romo Holds The Cowboys Together

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Complete article: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...-murray-tony-romo-enters-defining-stretch-nfl

He was already short a star running back, and now Tony Romo is without his star wide receiver. But an older, wiser Romo has the ability to carry the Cowboys for this stretch, writes Jason Reid.

Jason Reid, NFL | 9/18/2015

Dez Bryant could be sidelined for most of the regular season. DeMarco Murray has moved on. Who could blame Dallas Cowboys fans for worrying? But Dallas still has Tony Romo. Don't be surprised if Romo holds the Cowboys together while facing the biggest challenge of his career -- because that's what great quarterbacks do. And while Romo definitely is in the club, this stretch can prove it to his many doubters.

For a team viewed as a strong Super Bowl contender, you can call the Bryant injury, combined with a performance that made a win more good fortune than good execution, was an unsettling start. It would be a big mistake, though, to write the Cowboys' epitaph. ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer can't wait to see what Romo and the Cowboys do next.

He says even without Bryant, there's a whole lot to like about any Romo-led offense, "which is why, even five years ago, I said Romo was in that group of the best guys," Dilfer said on the phone the other day.

"You never know when to say 'elite,' because you don't know where you stop. Do you stop at [Ben] Roethlisberger? Do you put Eli [Manning] in? I really never know where to go there. But I would say there's a Mount Rushmore of quarterbacks in the NFL. And if you think Romo is not on it, you're crazy."

Continue

dallasdave

Reaction score
Complete article: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...-murray-tony-romo-enters-defining-stretch-nfl

He was already short a star running back, and now Tony Romo is without his star wide receiver. But an older, wiser Romo has the ability to carry the Cowboys for this stretch, writes Jason Reid.

Jason Reid, NFL | 9/18/2015

Dez Bryant could be sidelined for most of the regular season. DeMarco Murray has moved on. Who could blame Dallas Cowboys fans for worrying? But Dallas still has Tony Romo. Don't be surprised if Romo holds the Cowboys together while facing the biggest challenge of his career -- because that's what great quarterbacks do. And while Romo definitely is in the club, this stretch can prove it to his many doubters.

For a team viewed as a strong Super Bowl contender, you can call the Bryant injury, combined with a performance that made a win more good fortune than good execution, was an unsettling start. It would be a big mistake, though, to write the Cowboys' epitaph. ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer can't wait to see what Romo and the Cowboys do next.

He says even without Bryant, there's a whole lot to like about any Romo-led offense, "which is why, even five years ago, I said Romo was in that group of the best guys," Dilfer said on the phone the other day.

"You never know when to say 'elite,' because you don't know where you stop. Do you stop at [Ben] Roethlisberger? Do you put Eli [Manning] in? I really never know where to go there. But I would say there's a Mount Rushmore of quarterbacks in the NFL. And if you think Romo is not on it, you're crazy."

Continue

Good read !!

USMarineVet

Reaction score
Dallas has one of the better coaching staffs in the league and I'm sure they'll have a plan to exploit Philly's weaknesses. Although this is no slam dunk by any means, I fully expect the Boys to hold their own and put Tony in a position where he can do what Tony does.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
These writers think the Cowboys were all Dez Bryant and that's it.

Dez didn't contribute much to the Giant win.

And without Dez the offense will be more balanced on where the throws are distributed.

And it's going to give another guy (like Escobar) a way to shine and become another thing for defenses to worry about when Bryant gets back.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
12003314_10205303843339789_2918865353840712464_n.jpg

dallasdave

Reaction score
Dallas has one of the better coaching staffs in the league and I'm sure they'll have a plan to exploit Philly's weaknesses. Although this is no slam dunk by any means, I fully expect the Boys to hold their own and put Tony in a position where he can do what Tony does.

Totally agree, and Dallas is going to kick philly's butt !!!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Wide Receivers don't win games. The NFL is about the trenches and the QB.

QB's need receivers and the Cowboys need Dez which is why he got paid. He made some huge catches including one against Houston last season that helped win that game and accounted for 16 TD's. Some here are blowing his loss off while others are spinning it could be a blessing in disguise which is typical here but the Cowboys offense has become easier to defend without him. Without Dez you lose the jump balls and the fades in the endzone that were hard to defend. TWill have a tougher time getting open down the field especially being covered by every teams top corner.

Go back to the 09 season the Cowboys had cut TO loose during the offseason and were looking shaky until Miles Austin had his breakout game vs KC ending up having a big season. One of the Cowboys receivers is going to have to step up and make a real impact if the Cowboys are going to have any chance of being the team they were last season.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
The tide has started to turn with regards to the media and their attitude to Romo. Never thought I'd see the the day.

Agreed, it's pretty surreal. However, I don't doubt that after 1 not-so-great performance, they'll revert back to their old ways.

As long as Romo is healthy, we are still Super Bowl contenders. Dez is among the best at what he does and has a big impact on the field, but at the end of the day he's one of several NFL-caliber options that Tony Romo has at his disposal.

As long as the rest of our pass catchers (and that includes running backs and tight ends) can at least perform at an average NFL level, we will still win games.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
These writers think the Cowboys were all Dez Bryant and that's it.

Dez didn't contribute much to the Giant win.

And without Dez the offense will be more balanced on where the throws are distributed.

And it's going to give another guy (like Escobar) a way to shine and become another thing for defenses to worry about when Bryant gets back.

So you think losing Dez is going to be a positive? According to you the Cowboys should have saved their money and let him walk. LOL

RunDMC

Reaction score
Anyone who thinks Dallas is just gonna falter without Dez Bryant just doesn't know football. Elite quarterbacks make receivers who would otherwise look ordinary look a lot better. We've seen Romo do it time and time again. He made Miles Austin into a pro bowl receiver. Laurent Robinson had a breakout season and quickly fizzled out of the league after leaving the Cowboys. Same thing happened to Patrick Crayton who had previously been a very solid #2 and 3. When you have such a magician at QB you always have a chance. Compound that with the fact that you still have an elite tight end with a superb offensive line and we'll be fine.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks Dallas is just gonna falter without Dez Bryant just doesn't know football. Elite quarterbacks make receivers who would otherwise look ordinary look a lot better. We've seen Romo do it time and time again. He made Miles Austin into a pro bowl receiver. Laurent Robinson had a breakout season and quickly fizzled out of the league after leaving the Cowboys. Same thing happened to Patrick Crayton who had previously been a very solid #2 and 3. When you have such a magician at QB you always have a chance. Compound that with the fact that you still have an elite tight end with a superb offensive line and we'll be fine.

I agree. Losing Dez sucks and our passing game will certainly miss him, but it won't be a devastating loss. I personally believe that this team is a Super Bowl contender even without Dez, and Dez just makes us that much better.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Agreed, it's pretty surreal. However, I don't doubt that after 1 not-so-great performance, they'll revert back to their old ways.

He's bound to have a rough game or two if he's going to have to start carrying the team again. It was pretty much all him Sunday Night and it will catch up with the Cowboys if he's going to have to shoulder the load most of the season. He needs a lot more help than he got Sunday night if the Cowboys are going to make the playoffs.

RunDMC

Reaction score
I agree. Losing Dez sucks and our passing game will certainly miss him, but it won't be a devastating loss. I personally believe that this team is a Super Bowl contender even without Dez, and Dez just makes us that much better.

If New England can get by with the likes of Edelman and Amendola at receiver so can Dallas. Cole Beasley and Terrance Williams as good as those guys. Not to mention we have a better OL and at this point Romo is a better quarterback than Brady.