News: ESPN: If the price is right, Cowboys should keep Sean Lee

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
if we keep him, does he become a progress stopper for another young lb? he plays like someone who's worried about being injured again. it was hard to watch his last couple of efforts after seeing him be such a star for so long. time for sean to go.
I don't know about that. He looked a lot better against the Rams than the other LBs did.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I would like to have Lee back. If for nothing else his ability to teach from a players perspective to both Jaylon and LVE.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If the price is right, Cowboys should keep Sean Lee

i

At 33 in July, with an injury history and now in a part-time role, there is no doubt that Sean Lee's deal would have to be reworked to stay in Dallas.

Read Full Story

Personally I think they keep him around at a reduced rate for depth, leadership, and his mentoring abilities. He will be a coach here before long.

Brooksey

Reaction score
He's an All-Pro veteran backup (Will LB) that needs a good backup and can't play special teams.

Value 1.5 million-$2 million a year

TwentyOne

Reaction score
If the price is right, Cowboys should keep Sean Lee

i

At 33 in July, with an injury history and now in a part-time role, there is no doubt that Sean Lee's deal would have to be reworked to stay in Dallas.

Read Full Story

I am a bit torn.

He seems to need the repetition in games. He looked bad when playing only 10 snaps.

On the other hand i like what he brings to the younger guys. His knowledge about the game is very valuable.

I would extend him and keep him around in a backup role. But i am not sure he wants that. I do think he wants to be a starter. Maxbe not a starter but have a leading role.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t care about a pay cut
We aren’t spending all we have so it really doesn’t matter

That's being willfully naive. It always matters.

I’d like to keep him to tutor the young guys, play the SLB and depth

SLB isn't an option. He can't stay healthy when they're moving him away from contact.

But he has to decide if he wants that role and if he’s ready to hang it up after next year
If he wants to play a few more years and thinks he can still be a full time starter then I’d let him chase that dream
I don’t think at this point it’s in his best interest to chase that dream but I get it’s hard to walk away from something you’ve dreamed of your whole life

Players often struggle to realize when it's over. And that's understandable. But a team shouldn't. The Cowboys should do what's best for the Cowboys and not any one player, no matter who it is, or how great of a team guy he is.

For me, the "right price" would be a 50-50 compromise. Can't get any fairer than that. Cut the salary in half and start the transition to a coach on the staff.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
For me, the "right price" would be a 50-50 compromise. Can't get any fairer than that. Cut the salary in half and start the transition to a coach on the staff.

Id love to keep SL as a coach. And if we have to give him a restructed (reduced) contract as a player to keep him as a coach... i am all for it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Id love to keep SL as a coach. And if we have to give him a restructed (reduced) contract as a player to keep him as a coach... i am all for it.

I think there can be a reasonable compromise, but it will be up to Lee to accept it.

If not, he has to be cut. As painful as it is to even say it, it's what's best for this team and their salary cap. Lee can talk about "getting healthy" until he's blue on the face, it just isn't happening. His body is simply overbulked for what his genes said it should be, and therefore it continues to break down. And it always will.

His mind is what's built for football.

conner01

Reaction score
That's being willfully naive. It always matters.

SLB isn't an option. He can't stay healthy when they're moving him away from contact.

Players often struggle to realize when it's over. And that's understandable. But a team shouldn't. The Cowboys should do what's best for the Cowboys and not any one player, no matter who it is, or how great of a team guy he is.

When your looking at signing a guy money matters but whether we cut his pay or let him play out one more season really doesn’t at all
3 or 4 mil for one year really doesn’t matter
As for playing SLB I don’t see any issue since it’s much less contact because it’s so few snaps a game
If you cut his pay in half you save 3.5 mil one time
Money matters when it’s wasted but Lee is worth something for what he brings and whether or not we have an extra 3.5 m isn’t gonna change one thing

Last edited:

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I think there can be a reasonable compromise, but it will be up to Lee to accept it.

If not, he has to be cut.

Thats what i would do too.

If we can reach a good compromise with him then id keep him. If he doesnt want to negotiate then i dont think there will be any other solution then to cut him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When your looking at signing a guy money matters but whether we cut his pay or let him play out one more season really doesn’t at all
3 or 4 mil for one year really doesn’t matter

Every dollar matters when you can roll it over. And when you have to compete in a market with 31 other teams. You can't afford to waste money on being sentimental.

As for playing SLB I don’t see any issue since it’s much less contact because it’s so few snaps a game

Then you're wearing blinders. He can't stay healthy even with no contact. Playing SLB is a non-starter and a fan fantasy.

Money matters when it’s wasted but Lee is worth something for what he brings and whether or not we have an extra 3.5 m isn’t gonna change one thing

No, it's going to change $3.5 million things, or quite possibly $7 million things.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thats what i would do too.

If we can reach a good compromise with him then id keep him. If he doesnt want to negotiate then i dont think there will be any other solution then to cut him.

Same here. I love the guy and his team first attitude and competitive spirit, but enough of this BS about "getting healthy" already. It's not happening. Certainly not at a more physically-demanding strongside linebacker role. And certainly not on my dime.

The guys gets hurt when he runs, it doesn't even take contact at this point.

TwentyOne

Reaction score

Well without us not having a first round pick 3.5 mils is just around what we need to sign all of our draft picks.

Last edited:

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Same here. I love the guy and his team first attitude and competitive spirit, but enough of this BS about "getting healthy" already. It's not happening. Certainly not at a more physically-demanding strongside linebacker role. And certainly not on my dime.

The guys gets hurt when he runs, it doesn't even take contact at this point.

He to me doesnt look like an athlete anymore. He looks like a bodybuilder who is in his weight gaining phase. No surprise he has so many soft tissue issues.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He to me doesnt look like an athlete anymore. He looks like a bodybuilder who is in his weight gaining phase. No surprise he has so many soft tissue issues.

He's always been bigger than his body was ever built for, that's why it's always broken down. His genetics are those of a guy who should weigh 180 lbs. You can build up whatever you want on the outside, but your bones, joints, and tendons are what they are. And his are of a non-football player and always have been. And I wouldn't at all doubt he uses a ton of creatine to build and maintain it and that can lead to muscle tightness and or pulls (like hamstrings).

GMO415

Reaction score
Not going to waste my time reading the article. I trust my own eyes.

The guy can't shed blocks, he's too slow, and he can't stay healthy enough to play.

Goodbye Lee .