ESPN Insider: 2018 NFL QB Tiers - 50 execs rank starting QBs

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Why I would've given Linehan his walking papers and brought in someone new.
very, very few would argue that.
but we didn't so it is what it is.

asking why? and we look at 2016 and they are trying to recreate that which is understandable.
health and availability of tyron and zeke are key.

as a long time coach of various levels and sports i am much better with good players than with bad, lol.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
That's a good point, but I still stick to the idea there were a few other factors on top of that. Remember when Lee was out? Holy hell were were terrible.
agreed, but that was defense being trash and getting gashed.
that's what i mean when i say we had two very disparate seasons in one.
we were never really a full go, good team in all 3 phases.
injured kicker, bad defense or bad offense.. we were lucky to win 9 imho.

Reactions: G2

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
agreed, but that was defense being trash and getting gashed.
that's what i mean when i say we had two very disparate seasons in one.
we were never really a full go, good team in all 3 phases.
injured kicker, bad defense or bad offense.. we were lucky to win 9 imho.
Yeah, one of the best LT, LB, RB and K in the NFL were missing might make an impact.

irishline

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I love how people prop up Wentz as the next greatest thing, while slighting Dak. The stats just don't back it up.

DivyeEiV4AEuAAW.jpg

Stats don't always tell the whole story. I like Dak but Wentz did have a great 2nd season while Dak regressed (for a myriad of reasons - most of which were not him) as many have said. That said:

Two quarterbacks from the 1989 draft's first two seasons:

Record: 7-19 -- 9-12
Comp: 381 -- 345
Att: 692 -- 677
Comp%: 55.06% -- 50.96%
Yards: 4,328 -- 4,202
Y/A: 6.25 -- 6.21
TD: 20 -- 21
INT: 36 -- 24
INT%: 5.20% -- 3.55%

One was a HoF quarterback drafted in the first round, the other was Billy Joe Tolliver...
Care to guess which one is which?

Edit: Yes the HoF QB was Aikman.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
First off do not kill the messenger :)

A Tier 1 quarterback can carry his team each week. The team wins because of him. He expertly handles pure passing situations.

Tier 1: Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger

A Tier 2 quarterback can carry his team sometimes, but not as consistently. He can handle pure passing situations in doses and/or possesses other dimensions that are special enough to elevate him above Tier 3. He has a hole or two in his game.

Tier 2: Ryan, Wilson, Stafford, Rivers, Wentz, Luck, Newton, Carr, Garoppolo, Watson

A Tier 3 quarterback is a legitimate starter, but needs a heavier running game and/or defense to win. A lower-volume passing offense makes his job easier.

Tier 3: Cousins, Smith, Manning, Prescott, Goff, Winston, Mariota, Dalton, Flacco, Keenum, Taylor, Bortles, Tannehill, Bradford

A Tier 4 quarterback could be an unproven player with some upside, or a veteran who is ultimately best suited as a backup.

Tier 4: Trubisky, McCown, Mahomes, McCarron

I think thats accurate considering the circumstances of last year.

Wood

Reaction score
this is the only ranking I would pay any attention to. Includes: 10 general managers, five head coaches, 10 coordinators, 10 senior personnel executives, five QB coaches. Dak came in at 15-25.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yeah, one of the best LT, LB, RB and K in the NFL were missing might make an impact.
You'd think more people would realize that and be excited about adding all those healthy pieces to a 9 win team instead of all this incessant whingeing and feeling sorry for themselves.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
You'd think more people would realize that and be excited about adding all those healthy pieces to a 9 win team instead of all this incessant whingeing and feeling sorry for themselves.
I've brought it up pal, but I keep getting the same small vocal negative...folks who say that's just an excuse. I'm a realist, but I'm also optimistic every new season. It's WAY better than to let if bother you and be a tool to everyone because Dak can't (Insert typical hatred cliche here).....

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I've brought it up pal, but I keep getting the same small vocal negative...folks who say that's just an excuse. I'm a realist, but I'm also optimistic every new season. It's WAY better than to let if bother you and be a tool to everyone because Dak can't (Insert typical hatred cliche here).....
I'm with you 100%.
I'll be mad every time they lose and happy every time they win.
But I control how I feel from the season's end to the week 1 and I am not going to be whiny, miserable and bitter.
Life's too short.
If I hated the team, that bad I'd just do something else.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'm with you 100%.
I'll be mad every time they lose and happy every time they win.
But I control how I feel from the season's end to the week 1 and I am not going to be whiny, miserable and bitter.
Life's too short.
If I hated the team, that bad I'd just do something else.
Exactly. Out of our control. Try and enjoy the game in itself.

pitt33

Reaction score
The fanfare for Watson and Garoppolo after only a handful of starts is ridiculous.
If anything it may be based more on mechanics and poise of those two.

They certainly pass the eye test if you ask me.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't care about these ratings, hell Luck is a tier 2? few years back maybe. What matters to me is Dak helping this team win games and ultimately a championship. If he can do that then people can label him however they choose. I put about as much faith in these rating as I do power ratings. Meaningless

Big_D

Reaction score
I love how people prop up Wentz as the next greatest thing, while slighting Dak. The stats just don't back it up.

DivyeEiV4AEuAAW.jpg

He threw 33 TDs in 13 games last year and it's 49/45 not 39/39. When you're on pace for 40 TDs that's a dam good QB.

I think people are fooling themselves with Wentz' rookie numbers to think Dak is in that category.

Last edited: