News: ESPN: Lawyers: Elliott 'target of extortion' in complaint

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Lawyers: Elliott 'target of extortion' in complaint

i

Ezekiel Elliott is the "target of extortion," attorneys for the Dallas Cowboys running back said Saturday, after a security guard opted to press assault charges over a May altercation in Las Vegas.

Read Full Story
Its always something to see this man child constantly misbehave. He is, chaps, a chronic victim.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I dont want to get into this again... because there is a reason we have lawyers. Here you go:

ASSAULT VS. BATTERY - IS THERE A DIFFERENCE?
Mar 13, 2014 / Lessem, Newstat & Tooson, LLP
A common misconception in the realm of criminal law pertains to assault and battery. Some believe that these are one in the same or that they are always charged alongside one another. In California, these are two separate crimes, but they are often grouped together and this can create some confusion. They may also have different meanings in other states. Here, we will work to dispel some of the common misunderstandings about assault and battery, based on California law.

Let's start with assault. According to California Penal Code § 240, "An assault is an unlawful attempt, coupled with a present ability, to commit a violent injury on the person of another." What is important to note about this offense is that it is an "attempt" and "present ability" to harm another person. Whether the act was carried out or the person was injured is irrelevant to assault charges. Only the attempt and ability must be present.

A defendant may face a fine of up to $1,000 and/or imprisonment in county jail for up to 6 months for simple assault. Assault with a deadly weapon is a more serious version of this offense and may be charged as a misdemeanor or a felony, punishable by up a fine of up to $10,000 and/or imprisonment in county jail for up to 1 year or 2-4 years in state prison. Because assault is considered a violent crime, if it is charged as a felony a defendant may receive a "strike" on his or her criminal record if convicted.

Battery, though also considered a violent crime, is a different type of offense. California Penal Code § 242 as "any willful and unlawful use of force or violence upon the person of another." While assault is the attempt at violence, battery is the act itself. Because these offenses may have the same act in common, both attempted and carried out, a defendant may face criminal charges for assault and battery. This is likely the source of confusion regarding these separate crimes.

Battery is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of up to $2,000 and/or imprisonment in county jail for up to 6 months. Aggravated battery, which involves the wilful use of force or violence on another person that causes serious bodily injury, may be charged as a misdemeanor or a felony. Under California Penal Code § 243(d), aggravated battery may be punishable by a fine of up to $1,000 (misdemeanor) or $10,000 (felony) and/or up to 1 year in county jail (misdemeanor) or 2-4 years in state prison (felony). A defendant charged with felony aggravated battery may also receive a "strike" on his or her record if convicted.
Barrister!
You are an embarrassment ... a stain on law commentary.
Desist and save whatever self-respect you might have left. Good luck, son. With those facial tattoo you'll need it.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
But say w

first off, sorry about the minor foul language on my part as well as the video sounding like it's breaking up a bit towards the end.

I say we light the tiki torches and get the pitchforks and main him!!!!!!
Your home décor is so Reggie Swinton.

GenoT

Reaction score
There’s an old football adage...

The best defense is a good offense.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do we know for certain the kid has asked Zeke for money? If he hasn't, there is no basis for an extortion claim, and Zeke's attorney is just posturing for the media and the public. If he has, and the request for money was accompanied by a promise to drop charges if he gets a payout (and, of course, if there is proof of it), the kid will be in deep water. That wouldn't necessarily mean a criminal case couldn't be pursued though.

Before everyone jumps on me and says that they know the kid is going to ask for money, that's beside the point. I'm wondering if there is a current basis for Zeke's attorney to make a claim of extortion, or if he is just playing to the media.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Lawyers: Elliott 'target of extortion' in complaint

i

Ezekiel Elliott is the "target of extortion," attorneys for the Dallas Cowboys running back said Saturday, after a security guard opted to press assault charges over a May altercation in Las Vegas.

Read Full Story

I'm a cowboys fan and elliot fan. But if elliot nudged me, I'd do the most insane flop into the portable railing, and also press charges afterwards because I need that bag from elliots bank account

But I am still a fan 2nd and formost

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Zeke gotta start rollin wit goons to handle his light work. He also needs to stop messin with these snow bunnies, they stay gettin him in trouble.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Zeke gotta start rollin wit goons to handle his light work. He also needs to stop messin with these snow bunnies, they stay gettin him in trouble.

I hope those goons plan on being anonymous in connection from Zeke because idiots like that could end up doing way worse to a person compared to what Zeke had done.

When the connection presents itsself Zeke and the goons could face serious discipline including jail time.

I'd say Zeke just keep his bigheadass home

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I think this is all bull****... but watch the video. Did you think Zeke was posturing to intimidate the kid? Did it look like Zeke was getting in his face to smack this guy? Did Zeke say anything to him? Like Im gonna jack you up? Then ask yourself if it is reasonable for the kid to think, that based upon the actions and words of Zeke, that he was about to get his arse whooped? If so, that is an absolute text book example of assault. Its that simple.
You just went into the "thought" defense. That's not going to fly in court.
And I can flip the script. Zeke's attorney: "Zeke Elliott is a 5'11, 220 lb running back used to slamming into men much larger and much stronger. Do you REALLY think if Mr. Elliott wanted to hurt you he could have without blinking an eye?"
That's why you stick with the evidence. You get into "thought" arguments, and Zeke's attorney will eat that up also.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Do we know for certain the kid has asked Zeke for money? If he hasn't, there is no basis for an extortion claim, and Zeke's attorney is just posturing for the media and the public. If he has, and the request for money was accompanied by a promise to drop charges if he gets a payout (and, of course, if there is proof of it), the kid will be in deep water. That wouldn't necessarily mean a criminal case couldn't be pursued though.

Before everyone jumps on me and says that they know the kid is going to ask for money, that's beside the point. I'm wondering if there is a current basis for Zeke's attorney to make a claim of extortion, or if he is just playing to the media.

He filed criminal charges as opposed to civil charges. Therefore, in his legal complaint, he's not asking for money.
I think Zeke's attorney is building a public defense for his client and a preemptive strike in case the security guard's clients ask to settle the case for an undisclosed amount.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Called battery
I know that there's some legal basis for the charges.
My tone is more along the lines of the "push."
Though there's a legal definition for what Zeke did, there's also a practical application of common sense too.
If I'm filmed bumping someone who barely falls to the ground, technically, I committed battery.
But is a jury REALLY going to find me guilty of battery for something so innocuous?
That's the point of my comment. :)

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He filed criminal charges as opposed to civil charges. Therefore, in his legal complaint, he's not asking for money.
I think Zeke's attorney is building a public defense for his client and a preemptive strike in case the security guard's clients ask to settle the case for an undisclosed amount.
And that’s really the point of my question - that as things sit today we don’t know that the lawyer has any basis for the extortion claim, and is simply attempting to influence public opinion and potential jury pools.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
You just went into the "thought" defense. That's not going to fly in court.
And I can flip the script. Zeke's attorney: "Zeke Elliott is a 5'11, 220 lb running back used to slamming into men much larger and much stronger. Do you REALLY think if Mr. Elliott wanted to hurt you he could have without blinking an eye?"
That's why you stick with the evidence. You get into "thought" arguments, and Zeke's attorney will eat that up also.
That's exactly what a jury will do., get into the mind of a reasonable person. The jury will ask themselves is it reasonable, for the guy in the tape, under circumstances shown in the video, to think zeke was threaten him, the threat cold be carry out, and the guy believed the threat to be real. If you check all three boxes yes, then zeke is guilty of assault. I would need to here whay zeke said to the guy.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I hope those goons plan on being anonymous in connection from Zeke because idiots like that could end up doing way worse to a person compared to what Zeke had done.

When the connection presents itsself Zeke and the goons could face serious discipline including jail time.

I'd say Zeke just keep his bigheadass home
You are delusional. A little physical altercation never gets jail time. Especially when zeke can supply a lawyer. Plus the guy won't have $$ like that and it will be a done deal. Just because I get into an argument and my mans decides to punch you in the mouth has nothing to do with me.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I know that there's some legal basis for the charges.
My tone is more along the lines of the "push."
Though there's a legal definition for what Zeke did, there's also a practical application of common sense too.
If I'm filmed bumping someone who barely falls to the ground, technically, I committed battery.
But is a jury REALLY going to find me guilty of battery for something so innocuous?
That's the point of my comment. :)
Did zeke get in guys face and initiate contact? Did he threaten him? No doubt imo he could get nailed for battery and assault. Very minor though, probation and community service. Seems ridiculous , yes. But a good lesson for you tough guys out there. Keep your freaking hands off people....even if they say your mama wears combat boots. With no video, nothing happens. with video.... Houston, we have a problem here.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Did zeke get in guys face and initiate contact? Did he threaten him? No doubt imo he could get nailed for battery and assault. Very minor though, probation and community service. Seems ridiculous , yes. But a good lesson for you tough guys out there. Keep your freaking hands off people....even if they say your mama wears combat boots. With no video, nothing happens. with video.... Houston, we have a problem here.
Such garbage from ppl on the internet. I've been in a number of fights as an adult. None have resulted in charges or even being arrested. Yes technically the law but if ppl aren't hospitalized usually it's not that serious and they rarely get more than a fine.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
That's exactly what a jury will do., get into the mind of a reasonable person. The jury will ask themselves is it reasonable, for the guy in the tape, under circumstances shown in the video, to think zeke was threaten him, the threat cold be carry out, and the guy believed the threat to be real. If you check all three boxes yes, then zeke is guilty of assault. I would need to here whay zeke said to the guy.
And they could also see the video and think, "This dude is claiming assault/battery for THAT!?!? The force of my baby's burp more threatening than that."