News: ESPN: Lawyers: Elliott 'target of extortion' in complaint

tyke1doe

Reaction score
That's exactly what a jury will do., get into the mind of a reasonable person. The jury will ask themselves is it reasonable, for the guy in the tape, under circumstances shown in the video, to think zeke was threaten him, the threat cold be carry out, and the guy believed the threat to be real. If you check all three boxes yes, then zeke is guilty of assault. I would need to here whay zeke said to the guy.
Oh, and actually, the judge will instruct the jury to consider ONLY the evidence.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Did zeke get in guys face and initiate contact? Did he threaten him? No doubt imo he could get nailed for battery and assault. Very minor though, probation and community service. Seems ridiculous , yes. But a good lesson for you tough guys out there. Keep your freaking hands off people....even if they say your mama wears combat boots. With no video, nothing happens. with video.... Houston, we have a problem here.
I do agree with you on this point.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Oh, and actually, the judge will instruct the jury to consider ONLY the evidence.
Assault is essential;y the threat. So what evidence do you think is used to convict someone of assault? In this case there is a video.. What "Evidence," do you think a jury will be considering?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Such garbage from ppl on the internet. I've been in a number of fights as an adult. None have resulted in charges or even being arrested. Yes technically the law but if ppl aren't hospitalized usually it's not that serious and they rarely get more than a fine.
I know you are a tough guy, as I have had a discussion with you before. I dont want to upset you and get my arse kicked... so I am saying this really polite, ok.

Garbage from people on the internet? You say "Technically," its the law? bahahahhahahaha TECHNICALLY...lol
Now just because you were out , got into some fight, dude you fought was probably as drunk as you so you left and he didnt do anything doesnt make what I said any less valid. I can promise you that if you ever put a hand on me, your *** is going to jail. I dont play tough guy out in public and get into brawls. Because you think it is ok to do so, and you ahve always likely had people like you that you are brawling with, doesn tmean the rest of us go for that crap. In todays world, you should be very careful about who you are ready to throw down with. I am not brawling, but I do carry my 9mm with me at all times, just in case someone else decides they do want to brawl. Im not a tough guy, not talking tough... just trying to give you the realities of the world in which we live.

I know, I know... Im a wuss..........

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Assault is essential;y the threat. So what evidence do you think is used to convict someone of assault? In this case there is a video.. What "Evidence," do you think a jury will be considering?
First, a threat is not an assault. A threat is a promise or the intent to do something. If Zeke pushed the security guard, he didn't threat him. He acted. It would only be a threat if he promised to do more than what he did. And we don't know that yet.
Second, juries sometimes are reluctant to convict people on charges that are too extreme. So even though a push may be considered battery, if the penalty is too stringent, juries sometimes will vote not guilty because the punishment or penalty is too severe for the crime.
That's what I'm talking about. I don't see a jury convicting him of assault/battery because the push doesn't appear to warrant a severe punishment.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
First, a threat is not an assault. A threat is a promise or the intent to do something. If Zeke pushed the security guard, he didn't threat him. He acted. It would only be a threat if he promised to do more than what he did. And we don't know that yet.
Second, juries sometimes are reluctant to convict people on charges that are too extreme. So even though a push may be considered battery, if the penalty is too stringent, juries sometimes will vote not guilty because the punishment or penalty is too severe for the crime.
That's what I'm talking about. I don't see a jury convicting him of assault/battery because the push doesn't appear to warrant a severe punishment.
Threats legally can bring a vast amount of charges depending on the threat. For instance I can threaten bodily harm if you don't hand over money and still be charged with strong armed robbery even though I never physically touch you.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Threats legally can bring a vast amount of charges depending on the threat. For instance I can threaten bodily harm if you don't hand over money and still be charged with strong armed robbery even though I never physically touch you.
I understand. But that's not what we're talking about. We don't know what Zeke said to the man. We do know that he bumped him. That's all we know.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

Did you read the earlier post I put up explaining the difference between Assault and battery?( I didnt explain, it was a cut and paste) A promise? You do realize that an assault probably occurs 99% of the time before a battery, no? So if Zeke says... hey punk, im gonna beat your ***, and starts walking towards the kid... thats not assault?
But if Zeke says, Hey, I promise, Im gonna beat yoru ***.... it is now an assault. The intent of the person making the threat is NOT considered( not 100% accurate.. theres more to it), it is how the person that is being threatened is perceiving the threat that matters. Im not gonna explain this in great detail, Im simplifying things to make this more simple. Just remember these words.... reasonable person, reasonable person, reasonable person. That REASONABLE PERSON thing... it matters.

Im not gonna keep going on this stuff because it is an excercise in futility. Just know that the law is very black and white. The circumstances that are presented to juries are very grey. Battery doesnt say that you need to put someone in the hospital. It doesnt say you need to break bones. It doesnt say injuries requiring X number of stitches.

Last thing... the law would likely punish Zeke very little for this. Depending on the state, my guess is a fine, possibly a suspended sentence and probation.... if that. The NFL... thats an entirely different situation... and thats all any of us in here care about...... what will the NFL do.

Would be hard for them to punish him after they announced they arent. But circumstances change. When they said that, no charges appeared likely to be filed. That could change.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
You are delusional. A little physical altercation never gets jail time. Especially when zeke can supply a lawyer. Plus the guy won't have $$ like that and it will be a done deal. Just because I get into an argument and my mans decides to punch you in the mouth has nothing to do with me.

You are affiliated genius. And a punch could lead to anything such as a person falling, hitting their head and dying.

Small things can have a big effect.

If you are seen with said individuals who have caused hurt to another you could also be at fault especially if the victim claims you were the cause or told authorities you told your goons to jump on him/her.

Who do you think authorities would rather make an example out of? You the pro athlete, or a regualer 9-5er who has nothing to lose?

You are the main one delusional here if you believe money and lawyers can get you out of everthing! (This is how you think when you've watched too much Television my cowboys family)!!

Maybe if you are a Cop protected by the higher ups you could get away with anything, but you my freind would be easy pickings regardless.

John813

Reaction score
I understand. But that's not what we're talking about. We don't know what Zeke said to the man. We do know that he bumped him. That's all we know.

"You got something to say!?" Then says, "what's up" as he gets closer to the kid.
And then as he walks away he says, "I didn't do anything".

Reid1boys

Reaction score
"You got something to say!?" Then says, "what's up" as he gets closer to the kid.
And then as he walks away he says, "I didn't do anything".
we all know what "You got something to say," means. follwed by "Whats up," in THIS context as he walks up to the kid. Again, up to a prosecutor to make a jury believe his interpretation. Which is what prosecutors do in every case.

John813

Reaction score
we all know what "You got something to say," means. follwed by "Whats up," in THIS context as he walks up to the kid. Again, up to a prosecutor to make a jury believe his interpretation. Which is what prosecutors do in every case.

Everytime I watch that TMZ clip, it's not like it was some honest mistake by Zeke. IMO he went up to that guard and tried to intimidate him. And I wonder if they could use the clips prior to that incident where Zeke at times would block his gf(?) at times walking through the event.
Now IMO I don't any real consequence to come from this, even if they charged him and even convicted him of battery. Probably be a fine and probation at worst. And I highly doubt it even goes that far to begin with.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
no jury would convict Zeke here

Reid1boys

Reaction score
no jury would convict Zeke here
you are canadian, yes??? maybe not in Canada, but here in the USA, hell yes they would, because he is likely guilty of assault and simple batter. You cant put your hands on someone unless in self defense, no matter how trivial it appears.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
That doesn't sound like a threat.
its called the "Totality of the circumstances." Had he just said those words and stayed 6-10 feet away from the kid, I would agree with you. But when he makes those comments while walking up and getting right in the face and actually making physical contact with the kid.... well that changes things.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
you are canadian, yes??? maybe not in Canada, but here in the USA, hell yes they would, because he is likely guilty of assault and simple batter. You cant put your hands on someone unless in self defense, no matter how trivial it appears.
please, even the law and order types here see this as nothing but a shakedown and the pussification of America

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I've gotten off for way worse with a public defender that did about nothing.

risco

Reaction score
Deep pockets will be targets of extortion.
That's why deep pockets shouldn't be getting up in people's faces. They're *hoping* that you start something.
Zeke needs to sit his butt down and stay out of the limelight and trouble.