ESPN Lays Off Another 150 As Cord Cutting Woes Continue

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by daboyzruleperiod, Nov 30, 2017.

1. daboyzruleperiod

daboyzruleperiod HAPPY HOLIDAYS! Zone Supporter

1,967 Messages
    3,874 Likes Received
    :espn:
    ESPN's continuing problems with cord cutting and sagging ratings will likely result in more layoffs before the end of the year. Reports indicate that ESPN is eliminating 150 production and technical employees as the sports broadcasting giant continues to pay the price for years of ignoring the obvious shift away from bloated, traditional cable bundles toward skinny bundles and over the top streaming alternatives. These latest layoffs come on the heels of a massive swath of additional layoffs earlier this year, including many top reporters at the channel.

The company has lost more than 10 million viewers in just the last few years as users increasingly flock to traditional cable alternatives, or traditional cable lineups that exclude sports.

"The majority of the jobs eliminated are in studio production, digital content, and technology and they generally reflect decisions to do less in certain instances and re-direct resources," ESPN president John Skipper wrote in memo to employees this week. "We will continue to invest in ways which will best position us to serve the modern sports fan and support the success of our business."

Most of the executives actually responsible for failing to see cord cutting coming (like Skipper) remain employed, despite their failure to help ESPN adapt to the streaming video era.
    READ MORE:https://www.dslreports.com/shownews/ESPN-Lays-Off-Another-150-As-Cord-Cutting-Woes-Continue-140789

RGV_C_Los and PA Cowboy Fan like this.
  2. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

10,976 Messages
    18,966 Likes Received
    It isn't just cord cutting . It's people tired of ESPN period. I still have cable but only watch ESPN when I absolutely have to and only for games.

Sarge, jwooten15, pjtoadie and 7 others like this.
  3. YosemiteSam

YosemiteSam Unfriendly and Aloof!

38,420 Messages
    6,768 Likes Received
    It also helps that less and less people are watching the NFL.

Party!

PA Cowboy Fan likes this.
  4. diefree666

diefree666 Well-Known Member

2,293 Messages
    2,956 Likes Received
    BSPN has brought this on themselves. 20 years ago they were sports. Now they are PC sports and always giving opinions on things outside sports and they wonder why so many look for an alternative. The fact that most of the executives are still there shows they really have no idea what is going on.

They have basically sold out for getting the millennial group and could care less about anyone else- and I am willing to bet a lot of people resent the constant pandering to that group.

All the flash and no real substance drives the serious sports watcher away

If the product was good enough people would still be watching

Sarge, jwooten15, ghst187 and 2 others like this.
  5. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member

37,704 Messages
    21,864 Likes Received
    1. Cord cutters
    2. Social Justice TV
    3. Oversaturation
    4. fans apathy

6. Jammer

Jammer Retired Air Force Guy Zone Supporter

4,205 Messages
    1,052 Likes Received
    I remember back in the day ESPN actually showed sports (even though the sports they showed were not your run of the mill sports). Now, if they are not showing the major sports games then it's nothing but studio shows. I don't want to watch talking head after talking head on these shows.

Sarge, jwooten15, Longboysfan and 2 others like this.
  7. diefree666

diefree666 Well-Known Member

2,293 Messages
    2,956 Likes Received
    That is why I loved Wild World of Sports. They searched around and found things like wrist wrestling and lumberjack competitions and they were fun and interesting. ESPN started out that way but soon sold out and now they are paying the price

Sarge, jwooten15, Trouty and 3 others like this.
  8. JackOfNoTrades

JackOfNoTrades sunbum

2,437 Messages
    2,962 Likes Received
    IMO a good/accurate list and would add a significant decline in content quality

jwooten15 and JoeyBoy718 like this.
  9. JoeKing

JoeKing mrtxstar

10,314 Messages
    7,426 Likes Received
    I'm all for the firing of ESPN employees... I say fire them ALL. :espn:

RGV_C_Los and Longboysfan like this.
  10. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

5,171 Messages
    4,427 Likes Received
    I would totally watch ESPN 8 "the ocho".

11. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

69,726 Messages
    28,306 Likes Received
    That is for me. I watch the sports only. Been that way for years. All the other stuff is just blah blah blah.

12. Idgit

Idgit Sit on ‘em!!! Staff Member

48,444 Messages
    38,840 Likes Received
    Their problem is that their content sucks.

13. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Well-Known Member

1,503 Messages
    328 Likes Received
    I think people being able to purchase the GamePass and College Sport apps also hurt them.

JoeyBoy718 likes this.
  14. Jammer

Jammer Retired Air Force Guy Zone Supporter

4,205 Messages
    1,052 Likes Received
    Exactly. I loved that show.

15. Longboysfan

Longboysfan hipfake08

10,027 Messages
    2,549 Likes Received
    :espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn::espn:

Too bad the Executives who made poor decisions are still there.

Clean house........

16. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

12,521 Messages
    6,254 Likes Received
    ESPN is like MTV. Neither are doing what made them popular and ratings have dropped significantly for both.

jwooten15, SeanLee50 and Trouty like this.
  17. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

5,171 Messages
    4,427 Likes Received
    Teen Mom OG and Florbama(Jersey shore rip off) are upcoming!

Trash shows for trash people.

viman96 likes this.
  18. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

23,380 Messages
    4,027 Likes Received
    ESPN made zillions propping up cable and ripping people off as prices for cable climbed through the roof for "must have" ESPN.

They've never reconciled when to switch to an app that is 10 per month a pop and stream live games, give up on stupid semi-sports TV talks shows, produce one nightly sportscenter that can be seen anytime, and really hit the 30 for 30 series hardcore. Original TV series in the vein of Friday Night Lights/Ballers and such would do well for them.

Fox Sports is just as bad with content but has a MUCH BETTER APP. That terrible talking head stuff is all unwatchable.

viman96 likes this.
  19. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

12,521 Messages
    6,254 Likes Received
    ESPN can return to being a great SPORTS channel. Broadcast sports (stream and ota), doing real stories that document the good and bad without any bias hype. Just broadcast and report. Let the fans hype the product.

Sarge and jterrell like this.
  20. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and brew... Staff Member

26,315 Messages
    15,404 Likes Received
    They went from reporting sports to reporting sports while trying to be comedians at the same time. It failed. Others should pay attention.