ESPN Matt Mosley Chat Wrap - 10/4/08... 7 'boys

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Robert (Latrobe, PA): Do you think the G-Men are missing Jeremy Shockey?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Robert, I don't think the absence of the tight end in this absence has been a big problem to this point. Kevin Boss did come through with a touchdown, and I think that will give him confidence. He's not as athletic as Shockey, but in time, I think you'll see him become a lot more active. The Giants have a lot of weapons at wide receiver -- and that's playing a role in his limited opportunities. It's only his second year by the way.

ray gordon reid augusta GEORGIA 30912: QUEESTION TO MATT MOSLEY AT 12.10 PM HI MATT WASHINGTON OR PHILLY

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Ray, I'm headed out to Philly tomorrow for the game. I think the Eagles win it at home, 28-24. If Brian Westbrook plays, Philly wins. If he doesn't, watch out. The Commanders did a nice job of eliminating the run against the Cowboys. Of course, I think the Cowboys ran it like eight times.

Benjamin Plattsburgh: In the last 10 games.... Romo... 10 tds 10 ints....... Eli...... 14 tds 3 ints...... also...... when your team is down in the 4th with 5 mins to go down by 4 who do you want leading your team? this is why Eli is now the best qb in the nfc....

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Man, it's good to hear from Platttsburgh. Haven't been there in years. Tony Romo has thrown at least one INT in seven consecutive games. He's also fumbled the ball in his end zone. That said, you have to be willing to live with some of his mistakes because he makes huge plays. But I can't argue with you. I want the ball in the hands of a man who's led a team to a Super Bowl. But it's not as clearcut as you might think.

Jim Zorn: HIP HIP HOORAY!!! HIP HIP HOORAY!!!

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: You have to love Zorn for leading that cheer. The guy is so fun to be around -- and he's taken time to study the franchise's history. I didn't have a rooting interest in that game (seriously!), but I felt great for Zorn.

Luis (SB, CA): Hi M-A-Double T, I think Dallas gives Cincy a HEAVY does of the run game we saw against the Pack. What do you see the key to the match being?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: I think Barber will have at least 17 carries this game and Jones will chip in five or six. The Bengals secondary is dreadful, though. They've lost former first-round pick Jonathan Joseph and one of their top safeties. The one thing they have going for them is DC Mike Zimmer. He knows the Dallas personnel because he with the Cowboys for years and years. In fact, I need to call Zim this afternoon.

Ken (Richmond, VA): How does Washington counter the heavy blitz schemes that Jim Johnson is going to give them?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: First of all, Campbell can't hold the ball like he does at times. You can usually neutralize some of the blitz with some screen passes. Look for some of those bubble screens to Santana Moss. If Sheldon Brown's playing off him, that will be an automatic call at the line of scrimmage for Campbell. The Commanders will also commit to the run, although I expect the Eagles to do a much better job slowing them down than the Cowboys did.

Chris (Cali): Didn't Garrett kind of sound like T.O. in his defense of passing so much? He said the Commanders made them pass with constantly having 8 man fronts, I find this to be as weak as TO still defending he didn't get enough opportunities. In a one score game with that O-line and talent in the backfield, I think run would have eventually came around, like it did in the second half against Philly.

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Chris, I'm not sure if he sounded like T.O., but he and Wade did sort of put the blame on Romo and the 8-man fronts for not running the ball. If you allegedly have one of the best offensive lines in football, you have to occassionally man up and run against eight-man fronts. You think Emmitt Smith always saw seven-man fronts? Nope. Wade and Garrett tried to pin this "check with me" stuff on Romo. Give me a break.

Casey (Houston, TX): I was surprised the Bengals decided to go with Benson over Alexander... though maybe I shouldn't be. Anyway, with all the injuries at RB, are any other teams taking a serious look at Alexander?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Shaun Alexander is a lot like Eddie George was at the end of his career. He just sort of runs up to the line of scrimmage and falls down. Ced Benson is young enough that you could still get something out of him. I don't think Alexander can help you at this point. He had a nice career in Seattle. But that was dreadful to watch this past offseason.

Broad Street Brian (philly): Is to much being made of the T.O. Comments after the Skins game. From 1500 miles away, it sounds really familiar.

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Brian, I think Tony Romo does something that Donovan McNabb was ultimately unable to do. He knows when to blow off T.O. Donovan and T.O. got to the point where they couldn't co-exist. This is something to keep an eye on in Dallas, but it's not even close to what it was in Philly in 2005. I thought listening to Tom Jackson, Keyshawn and Cris Carter was highly entertaining the other night. But yes, they were over the top with some of their thoughts. And I've already told Key that.

Chris (Cali): Why do the Phillips and Stewart continue to give such big cushions? They played two straight West Coast offenses and both the Commanders and Packers moved the ball at will! It makes no sense to have a "keep it in front" scheme when the teams continue to dink and dunk downfield.

Brian (Portland): Ok Matt, I have my Seahawk goggles on, but I can see Seattle upsetting the GMEN on Sunday with a rested bye week, and players like Branch, Engram, Locklear, and Morris coming back. Your thoughts?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Brian, I just don't see it. I think the Giants are one of those teams that really band together when you have some controversy (Plax). They'll come out and run the ball with Jacobs and Ward early. But like I've promised my Giants readers, my guy Hixon will catch a bomb for a TD in the game. Mark it down. The Giants have already had their scare with a Bengals team two weeks ago. It's not happening again.

Steve in Syracuse, NY: Matt, I read something Ed Werder wrote a couple days ago that Dallas needs to make a run at th Lions Roy Wms. Your thoughts? Crayton is slow and unimpressive and non deserving of a #2 WR spot.............would a 1st and 4th get it done? The Cowboys can give them back their 4th that the Cowboys have from the Lions.............

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Did Werder really write that? I'll have to ask him about that. Jerry would love to have Williams, but with the change that was just made in management, I'm thinking the Lions will stand pat for a little while. By the way, Roy Williams isn't a shrinking violet. T.O.'s concerned that he only had 17 balls thrown his way last week. What will he do when the UT Roy arrives?

Dom (Minneapolis): What do you think of Stewart for the rest of the season, and would you drop Jacobs or Lewis for him right now?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: I think Brandon Jacobs is about to string some solid days together. At least I hope he does -- since he's on my team. Stick wih Jacobs.

Luis (SB, CA): Hi Matt, I really want your thoughts on this one: Does Travis Henry ever play in the league again? I'd be extremely dissapointed if the league lets back in a repeat offender of cocaine use and this time for distributing. I work for a drug center for youth and can't begin to tell you the negative affects cocaine has on a developing brain. This guy needs to know he's an example to kids and young athletes across the country. I say ban this man. Truly dispicable.

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Travis Henry has enough dings on his resume that he should probably sit out for a little while. Depending on what happens in court, though, I don't think he'll receive any sort of lifetime ban. Goodell likes to stress redemption. Look at the happy gathering that will take place at Texas Stadium: Chris Henry, Tank and Pacman. It's a reunion of the league's most notorious players.

Derrick: (Houston Texas): Matt, loved you in Dallas. While I watch the Cowboys I am always concerned that T.O. is upset. He seems like everytime he runs a route and does not get the ball he is pouting. I love T.O., will I always have to be on the lookout for him blowing up?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: T.O. is like most receivers in the league. He desperately wants the ball in his hands. I think Wade Phillips and Tony Romo pretty much ignore his ranting and raving, and that's a pretty good approach. Now, if you ever start trying to appease him during games (see Commanders), that's another deal. But if you're asking me if this thing's gonna blow, nope I don't think so.

Jason (Manassas, Va): Is some of the Commanders success because other do not have alot film on their new schemes from Zorn?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Jason, there might be a little something to that, but not as much as you think. The Eagles went back this week and looked at some of the stuff Seattle was doing the past couple of years. There's only so much you can hide. The DCs in this game, Blache and Johnson, know each other very well. I don't think you'll see a ton of surprises. The most physical team up front will win. Last week, that was the Commanders.

Andy (Ann Arbor, MI): There will always be a place for players with Travis Henry's background. It's called Cincinnati.

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Nice work, Andy!

Chris (San Jose, CA): Matt good job so far with the NFC East Blog. However, can we get more information on why you cannot give the Giants the credit they deserve? I mean Superbowl Champs, the only team to beat NE last year and we beat the Commanders this year already. With all of this why did you jump on the Commanders bandwagon so quickly after they beat the cowboys? I mean come on the Giants already beat the cowboys in the playoffs last year. This is nothing new.

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Thanks goodness! I'm now a Commanders homer. This is a wonderful development in my career. I voted for the Giants to be No. 1 in the power rankings. What else do you want from me? But keep reading the Beast. It's become the most successful blog on the ESPN Blog Network, and you guys made it happen.

Jonny B (Washington, DC): Why isn't Bradshaw getting more touches? I love Jacobs and Ward, but wouldn't a three-headed monster be more effective?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Jonny B: I think there's something we're not hearing. Maybe Bradshaw's in the doghouse. Maybe he wasn't in peak condition after his stay in jail. Otherwise, I'm not sure why he's not getting a few carries each game. Maybe it's just that Derrick Ward's playing really well right now. One of those guys will get hurt at some point, and Bradshaw will get his turn. That's why they keep so many RBs every year. The Giants need to take Bradshaw out of confinement...Sorry.

Bill (Pomona California): Hi M-squared, do the Cardinals regroup against the Bills, or do the Bills remain undefeated? I think it will be tough for Phoenix at this point. Thanks!

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Who let an NFC West question in here? Save that stuff for Sando. But the Bills roll in this one. Cards can't stop anyone right now. Bills marching toward Tampa.

Mike (Boca Raton): When does Kerry Collins turn into a pumpkin (it has to happen sooner or later)?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Mike:

With that defense, Collins simply needs to limit the mistakes. He also has a nice little running game to support him. I'm sad to report by the way that Vanden Bosch is protesting the NFC East blog after the termination of Hashmarks. He was a daily reader --and we miss him. Same goes for Jimmy Schwartz.

Will J (Portland, OR): Matt, I think it's unfair for people in the media to give teams nicknames like the Jail Blazers. I realize Cincy players have had numerous off the field problems, but you all don't realize how long it takes for a team to shed an image like that with those catchy names. It's hard enough for bad teams to get fans to attend games already.

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Will, there are no free passes anymore when it comes to boorish behavior. Roger Goodell has made conduct a huge issue, and we can't ignore it. When a team like Cincinnati cuts an idiot like Chris Henry, we say, "it's about time." And then Mike Brown trumps his lame-duck head coach and brings him back. Are we supposed to applaud that move? Sorry, but fair only comes around here three weeks a year -- and I'm talking about the State Fair of Texas!

Jeremy (Houston, Texas): As a fellow Baylor alum, How long till Baylor gets out of the basement of the Big 12? Griffin is encouraging...

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: We're already out of the basement, Jeremy. Dallas Morning News has us ranked No. 10 ahead of the Ags and Iowa State. We're nipping on Kansas State's heels and I think we could give Nebraska all they could handle in Waco. We have an excellent freshman quarterback and that's a good place to start. Stoops and the boys better not be thinking about UT. Oh wait, I hope that's all they're thinking about. Never and I mean NEVER give Art Briles two weeks to prepare for a team.

Jonathan (Reading, PA): Matt, Can I be your assistant?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Postion has been filled.

Nick (Toronto): Any chance of Terry Glenn coming back to big D??

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Nope

Jon Bales (Reading, PA): Do you think certain of your teammates at the ESPN network treat T.O. unfairly just to make a headline? I know you can't really answer fairly, so just cough if yes...

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Wait, why are there so many people from Reading, Pa., in the chat right now. I don't think ESPN is out to bring down T.O. at all. But he's still one of the most recognizable athletes in the world -- and I'm told that ESPN enjoys good ratings.

Pete (dc): It sounds weird saying this but I think the Eagles will regret the loss to Chicago more than any loss. NFC East teams can't afford to lose non-division games. With the Steelers injuries, the good non division game NFC East teams have to play is Baltimore (and I'm not sure they are good.) The Skins may lose to one of them (that's what we do) but don't expect Dallas or New York too.

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Pete, it's a fair point. You need to beat a Chicago team with Kyle Orton at the helm. Philly's a superior team, but they were playing without their star RB and best offensive lineman. Of course, a loss is a loss.

Jon Bales (Reading, PA): Hey Matt, What's the biggest difference between how Jerry spends money and how Al Davis spends it?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: Jerry is coherent.

Ed, Baltimore MD: Matt, love your work. With that said, I have to disagree with your assessment of Ed Werder's question to T.O. It was a loaded question. First, only a person looking to create drama would ask that question after T.O. got the ball almost 20 times. Second, of course T.O. wants the ball, he ALWAYS wants the ball. Everyone who has followed TO knows that. Why doesn't Ed focus on writing a story about how the Skins outcoached the Boys instead of trying to create stories?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: I'll say it again. We're not in the business of protecting athletes from themselves. T.O. has a history of complaining about his number of touches. Ed wanted to know if he thought he was a big enough part of the game plan. If he said yes, we'd all move on. My goodness. I guess we're partially responsible for creating all these T.O. apologists. Do we overdo things at ESPN at times? You betcha. But he's a grown man, and I'm pretty sure he's intelligent enough to avoid a landmine if it's presented. Get off Werder's back. For once, he's not in the wrong. Kidding.

Marlon (Miami, Fl): Should i start Jason Campbell vs Phi? or go with J.T.Osullivan vs NE? Kyle orton vs Det?

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: This is an ender! Start freakin' Campbell, Marlon.

Bryan Towson Md: why are the skins still considered to be bottom of the division after such a huge win last sunday and what will it take to get some respect for my burgundy and gold

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: What are you talking about, Bryan. I voted the Commanders third in the power rankings, just behind the Giants and Titans. You moved all the way up from 14 I think. Stop whining and enjoy Zorny's success. I know I am.

Jon Bales (Reading, PA): Matt, Rank the teams in the NFC East.

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: 1. Giants
2. Commanders
3. Cowboys
4. Eagles

Check please! I'm outta here. Every one who joined me in today's chat should immediately check out the NFC Beast blog, part of ESPN.com's Blog Network. Thanks for your continued support during these tough economic times.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
look at those numbers by Eli. imagine what Romo could do with a very good defense and a very good running game.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Rampage;2307042 said:
look at those numbers by Eli. imagine what Romo could do with a very good defense and a very good running game.

I can't believe we have to imagine what it would be like to have a very good defense given all the high draft picks we've devoted to the D.

I don't see any reason why we don't already have a very good running game, given all the good RB's we have and supposedly great offensive line.

Wade better get his **** together quick or he's gonna be tarred, feathered and run out of town

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
yimyammer;2307052 said:
I can't believe we have to imagine what it would be like to have a very good defense given all the high draft picks we've devoted to the D.

I don't see any reason why we don't already have a very good running game, given all the good RB's we have and supposedly great offensive line.

Wade better get his **** together quick or he's gonna be tarred, feathered and run out of town
our running game is very good as long as our OC doesn't go into one of his pass-happy phases. the defense could be very good if Wade/Stewart didn't play this bend don't break/rely on our offense type of defense.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Rampage;2307053 said:
our running game is very good as long as our OC doesn't go into one of his pass-happy phases. the defense could be very good if Wade/Stewart didn't play this bend don't break/rely on our offense type of defense.

Something I've been wondering lately is:

At what point do we acknowledge that perhaps the defensive players everyone says are so great on paper may simply be over rated and not all they're cracked up to be?

I'm not saying this is true, I can't evaluate talent. However, unless my eyes are decieving me, this defense has been frustrating as heck to watch and all too often been passive and unintimidating for the last three plus years.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
We'll see, baby. We'll just see about that.

Tony Romo is 13-3 on the road. I can't wait to thump the Giants in the Meadowlands and win the third straight in their house. Then, Dallas is going to get a bye and go up to Washington and thump them and get a W.

I can't wait to get out of Dallas and thump the Cardinals.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Rampage;2307042 said:

Make the same mistakes he makes now.

He is not making errors because he is desperate or behind. He is making them because that is how he is wired.

Temo

Reaction score
Rampage;2307042 said:

I don't know where that guy got his numbers, but (including the playoffs) Eli's past 10 games:

15 TDs, 5 INTs, 2165 yards, 6.7 Yards per attempt, INT rate: 1.5%

Romo:

16 TDs, 11 INTs, 2561 yards, 7.5 Yards per attempt, INT rate: 3.2%

So far this season:

Romo: 8 TDs, 4 INT, 1192 yards, 8.6 yards per attempt, INT rate: 2.9%, 99.0 Rating

Manning: 4 TDs, 1 INT, 765 yards, 7.1 yards per attempt, INT rate: 2.8%, 91.1 Rating

Of course, Romo has faced Cleveland, Philly, GB, and Wash... while Manning has played Wash, Stl, and the Bengals

Last Season:
Romo: 36 TDs, 19 INTs, 4211 yards, 8.1 yards per attempt, INT rate: 3.7%, 97.4 rating

Manning: 23 TDs, 20 INTs, 3336 yards, 6.3 yards per attempt, INT rate: 3.8%, 73.9 rating

Here's my point: Unless you consider the 4 game stretch (which was merely good, not great) at the end of last year for the playoffs for Manning; he has thrown for far fewer yards per attempt and fewer touchdowns, and throws a similar intercept rate compared to Romo.

The idea that Manning is an elite QB because he pulled together a good 4 game stretch for the playoffs is simply absurd.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2307035 said:
Jon Bales (Reading, PA): Matt, Rank the teams in the NFC East.

sn2.gif
Matt Mosley: 1. Giants
2. Commanders
3. Cowboys
4. Eagles
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Kilyin

Reaction score
Biggest difference in Romo this year? Trying too hard to be like Tom Brady, and not making defenses respect his ability to run.

romorushes.jpg

Alexander

Reaction score
Kilyin;2307159 said:
Biggest difference in Romo this year? Trying too hard to be like Tom Brady, and not making defenses respect his ability to run.

romorushes.jpg

You have a very very valid point.

He is trying too hard to be a pocket passer and is almost forcing himself to throw in situations where he would have run before.

Alexander

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2307176 said:
I don't think Romo is a running QB but he can may plays with his legs.

He is not a running QB, that is correct. But he has always made his best plays on the move. Now he is content to just step up in the pocket and it is not always giving us the best results.

ahs4n

Reaction score
He's only down 2.5 rushing attempts per game. I think the sample size has to be too small to say that he has not run enough.

Temo

Reaction score
Kilyin;2307159 said:

&

That's dumb... between week 5 and week week 13 of 2007, he had 12 rushing attempts for 15 yards. He had only 1 game (buffalo) among those where he had a passer rating lower than 90, and put up 6 games in that stretch with passer rating higher than 100.

He had 5 games last year where he had 0 or fewer rushing yards. His passer rating in those games:
34.9 (last game of season, did not "really" play)

And you want to draw a conclusion based on 4 games in 2008?

Bottom line: Romo does not need to run to be effective.

Alexander

Reaction score
ahs4n;2307224 said:
He's only down 2.5 rushing attempts per game. I think the sample size has to be too small to say that he has not run enough.

It has nothing to do with sample size or bean counting. It certainly isn't about rushing attempts. It is about his behavior when the play breaks down.

You can tell by his body language in the pocket this year when protection collapses. It is like he is fighting his nature to be the sandlot player that he has been criticized for and he is indeed trying too hard to be more of a pocket passer.

goliadmike

reader of rue
Reaction score
Alexander;2307255 said:
It has nothing to do with sample size or bean counting. It certainly isn't about rushing attempts. It is about his behavior when the play breaks down.

You can tell by his body language in the pocket this year when protection collapses. It is like he is fighting his nature to be the sandlot player that he has been criticized for and he is indeed trying too hard to be more of a pocket passer.

I think you are right Alexander it is not about rushing yards it is about rolling out finding time and making plays on the run, forcing linebackers to come up, exhausting dlinemen, and freezing safeties while our receivers find the open spots.

Temo

Reaction score
Alexander;2307255 said:

I don't see it. What I do see is a guy who is throwing fewer interceptions (per pass attempt), taking fewer sacks, and throwing for more yards than the previous year.