ESPN Mosley: Different approaches to bye week

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
November 5, 2008 11:31 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

When he was working under Mike Holmgren in Seattle, Commanders coach Jim Zorn remembers how assistants and coaches were instructed to get away from football for five or six days during the bye week. He enjoyed that approach so much that he's brought it to Washington.

In a move that will cause former coach Joe Gibbs to fall out of his La-Z-Boy, Zorn said goodbye to his players Tuesday and told them they weren't required to be back until the following Monday. Not sure whether this announcement led to a hearty "Hip Hip HOORAY!" chant, but I know it was the one thing Jason Campbell was happy about when we talked early Tuesday morning.

Meanwhile, Wade Phillips is taking a little different approach. The Cowboys will practice Wednesday and Thursday before taking a long weekend. Which is the better approach? I guess we'll find out pretty quickly, since the teams play each other after the bye.

And if I'm Dan Snyder, I'm calling StubHub today and purchasing the rest of the tickets to the Cowboys-Commanders game. Steelers fans took over FedEx Field on Monday -- and the Cowboys faithful will try to do the same.

UDcowboysfan

Reaction score
I know this team needs practice but it also needs rest. Hopefully wade can find the inbetween point during this buy week.

yentl911

Reaction score
So, the "Savages" will be coming off a bye wek as well when we play them next? I didn't realize that. After hearing that, they will be rested, and I don;t like our chances.

This season had so much promise now I am just getting more and more depressed as we go week to week...

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And if I'm Dan Snyder, I'm calling StubHub today and purchasing the rest of the tickets to the Cowboys-Commanders game. Steelers fans took over FedEx Field on Monday -- and the Cowboys faithful will try to do the same.

Cowboys fans always take over FedEx Field. We are all over the DC/Virginia/Maryland area. Little Danny can't stop us.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CrazyCowboy;2403095 said:
I am glad we are practicing.
Yeah, but there are those who believe it's not enough. If we start winning again after the bye, then Wade's approach is the right one. If not, it isn't. That's not fair, but that's how it will play out.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
The Skins were horrid in the preseason and in the first game of the season. They seemed to get hot for a few weeks, and now they look almost as bad as they did in the begining. I think they may be in more trouble than us.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Wow. This Deadskins game is bigger than I thought. I thought the Deadskins had a game this week. Didn't know they were on a bye as well.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Wrangler87;2403354 said:
The Skins were horrid in the preseason and in the first game of the season. They seemed to get hot for a few weeks, and now they look almost as bad as they did in the begining. I think they may be in more trouble than us.

I made a similar observation a few days ago. Washington's offense has cooled in recent weeks, and isn't executing as proficiently as it was in its first meeting with Dallas.

Of course, maybe the Cowboys' defense is exactly the tonic Washington needs (a little gallows humor, I apologize;)).

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't think the Deadskins defense is that good to be honest. I don't think much of their corners. I know they gave us problems last time we met but they're corners have gotten roasted this year and have missed out on some easy INT's this year. The defense relies on the offense staying on the field and winning time of possesion battle. They can do that because Campbell has been effecient and mistake free and Portis for whatever reason can't be tackled. Then the Pittsburgh game came. Both were nonfactors. I don't have the answer in stopping Portis. He just can't be tackled for whatever reason. He's making 2 yards into 10. Campbell is another guy I don't understand his success. I'd just throw pressure at him all game just like i'd do any other young qb. I don't see him as much of a threat with the deep ball without time even though he has Moss and Randel El. Its all about the pressure though. Pittsburgh got it. I just hope the Cowboys can do the same. Make him get rid of the football before he wants to.

aikemirv

Reaction score
rocyaice;2404589 said:
I don't think the Deadskins defense is that good to be honest. I don't think much of their corners. I know they gave us problems last time we met but they're corners have gotten roasted this year and have missed out on some easy INT's this year. The defense relies on the offense staying on the field and winning time of possesion battle. They can do that because Campbell has been effecient and mistake free and Portis for whatever reason can't be tackled. Then the Pittsburgh game came. Both were nonfactors. I don't have the answer in stopping Portis. He just can't be tackled for whatever reason. He's making 2 yards into 10. Campbell is another guy I don't understand his success. I'd just throw pressure at him all game just like i'd do any other young qb. I don't see him as much of a threat with the deep ball without time even though he has Moss and Randel El. Its all about the pressure though. Pittsburgh got it. I just hope the Cowboys can do the same. Make him get rid of the football before he wants to.

I hate the Skins as much as any Cowboy fan but their CB's are very good! I get so sick of people around here saying how bad Smoot and Rogers are and yet time after time I see them breaking up pass after pass. It is OK to hate them and talk trash but honestly there defense plays football better than ours does. There Oline gets a better push and they protect the QB better than we do.

They just don't score. We would not without Romo either! I wish our team played with the passion the Skins do. It is very irritating to see.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
rocyaice;2404589 said:
Campbell is another guy I don't understand his success. I'd just throw pressure at him all game just like i'd do any other young qb. I don't see him as much of a threat with the deep ball without time even though he has Moss and Randel El. Its all about the pressure though.

In the first game, we pressured Campbell early, sacked him a few times, and he was very ineffective. Then all of a sudden our pass rush cooled off and he started playing much better. You're right. Pressure is the key.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2403043 said:
Zorny = CUPCAKES!!!!!!!1!!

I was thinking the same thing. :laugh2: I think giving some time off during the bye is the way to go.