ESPN Mosley: Possible tweaks to the offense

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nothing earth shattering, but...

The Cowboys aren't officially calling this a must-win game, but they might as well. Quarterback Tony Romo returns after missing three games with a broken right pinkie. I've had an up-close look at the splint, and it gives him a lot more flexibility than the previous one. Romo's still experiencing some pain when he throws longer routes, but he says it's not affecting his passes.

The Cowboys have hinted at tweaks they've made to the offense throughout the week. From what I've been told by sources at Valley Ranch, those tweaks include a lot more no-huddle and more pre-snap motion for Terrell Owens. You might recall that it was Washington that provided the blueprint for how to defend T.O. in press coverage. The good news for the Commanders is that cornerback Shawn Springs should finally be able to play again. Springs, Carlos Rogers and Fred Smoot should give the Commanders a lot of options. And it looks like cornerback DeAngelo Hall will be ready to go.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0-5-93/Audibles--NFC-East-Week-11-preview.html

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys aren't officially calling this a must-win game, but they might as well. Quarterback Tony Romo returns after missing three games with a broken right pinkie. I've had an up-close look at the splint, and it gives him a lot more flexibility than the previous one. Romo's still experiencing some pain when he throws longer routes, but he says it's not affecting his passes.

The Cowboys have hinted at tweaks they've made to the offense throughout the week. From what I've been told by sources at Valley Ranch, those tweaks include a lot more no-huddle and more pre-snap motion for Terrell Owens. You might recall that it was Washington that provided the blueprint for how to defend T.O. in press coverage. The good news for the Commanders is that cornerback Shawn Springs should finally be able to play again. Springs, Carlos Rogers and Fred Smoot should give the Commanders a lot of options. And it looks like cornerback DeAngelo Hall will be ready to go.

Nice to hear that they're planning on more motion for Owens.

My only complaint is that it took 6 weeks to figure out what they knew last year!

Smith22

Reaction score
No-huddle sounds good in theory, but with the amount of false start penalties we get AFTER having a huddle, I can only imagine that they will escalate running a no-huddle, especially on the road.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Smith22;2418391 said:
No-huddle sounds good in theory, but with the amount of false start penalties we get AFTER having a huddle, I can only imagine that they will escalate running a no-huddle, especially on the road.

Think about all the times we've seen Romo in the two-min. drill. That man was made to run the no-huddle and the team always responds favorably when we do it.

Romo even pulled out that Buffalo game last year because of what he and the team did in the no huddle.

I think that is one of the best moves the team could make.

JM $0.02

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Smith22;2418391 said:

You're forgetting they predict 52 Commanders fans to show up;)

MagicMan

Reaction score
The best tweak would be for the OL to show up and bust some heads.

You would see the 'Boys O in great form if that happens.

BadKarma

Reaction score
The only issue with the no-huddle offenses is that the quick tempo will put the defense out on the field much quicker, versus long sustaining drives that allows them to rest a bit.

Romo needs to start moving out of the pocket more like he's done last year. Avoiding being stripped is another issue Romo needs to start improving on.

Mansta54

Reaction score
BadKarma;2418437 said:
The only issue with the no-huddle offenses is that the quick tempo will put the defense out on the field much quicker, versus long sustaining drives that allows them to rest a bit.

Romo needs to start moving out of the pocket more like he's done last year. Avoiding being stripped is another issue Romo needs to start improving on.

Ahh, I think they're use to that over the past 3 games with BJ going 3 and out consistently. Our D was on the field damn near 40mins a game...

MONT17

Reaction score
Part of the reason u run no huddle is to get mismatches. I don't see the mismatch that would cause them not to huddle. Did the Pats run a No Huddle last year? I don't think so. BTW No huddle n 2 minute offense are not the same!

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
MONT17;2418478 said:
Part of the reason u run no huddle is to get mismatches. I don't see the mismatch that would cause them not to huddle. Did the Pats run a No Huddle last year? I don't think so. BTW No huddle n 2 minute offense are not the same!
they did occasionally

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
MONT17;2418478 said:

Romo and the offense is very effective in the no huddle. I know you want to be negative about anything Dallas but this just won't fly. They will get mismatches because teams will have to stay in their base defense in passing situations or teams will have to stay in their nickel/dime in running situations. The no-huddle will create those mismatches.

Temo

Reaction score
MONT17;2418478 said:

Obviously you didn't watch the Pats very closely.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If by 'Washington' providing a blueprint, Mosely meant 'Green Bay,' then he's exactly right.

I'd like to see a 4-wide empty set this week. I know, I know. But it would be fun if it didn't get him killed.

slick325

Reaction score
Idgit;2418493 said:
If by 'Washington' providing a blueprint, Mosely meant 'Green Bay,' then he's exactly right.

I'd like to see a 4-wide empty set this week. I know, I know. But it would be fun if it didn't get him killed.

Thank you Idgit!!! I'm sick of hearing about Washington providing some blueprint. Even the 'Skins players believe that mess. Green Bay used Woodson and a safety in week 3 and Blache copied their move in week 4.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2418377 said:
The Cowboys have hinted at tweaks they've made to the offense throughout the week. From what I've been told by sources at Valley Ranch, those tweaks include a lot more no-huddle and more pre-snap motion for Terrell Owens.
I hope we see more than that. We had a bye week to work on new stuff for crying out loud.

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
Hostile;2418608 said:
Heck I said it on DC's radio show Wednesday.

see what I mean?? and Mosley gets paid to do that??how can you report something that has already been reported?ohhhh wait,BSPN does that all the time!:laugh2: