ESPN Mosley: The NFC Beast Rankings (Dallas #3)

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The NFC Beast Rankings
October 6, 2008 9:58 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

You'll have to wait until Tuesday for the full power rankings, but I've already made up my mind on the four teams that really matter:

1. New York Giants: That's what we in the business call a statement game. Tom Coughlin almost seems to embrace adversity, and his team reflects that mentality. Eli Manning was determined not to allow any letdown because of Plaxico Burress' absence. And, as the Beast predicted, Domenik Hixon was outstanding. The Giants are deep at receiver, and you saw great efforts from Hixon and Sinorice Moss. This is the best team in football right now.

2. Washington Commanders: This is the first time since 2005 the Commanders have beaten the Cowboys and Eagles on the road. After falling behind 14-0 early, Jim Zorn's team showed a lot of resolve. This looks like a dominant team right now. Jason Campbell is having a Pro Bowl-type season. He just doesn't make mistakes, and he's at his best late in games.

3. Dallas Cowboys: A week after losing at home to the Commanders, the Cowboys struggled to put the lowly Bengals away. Wade Phillips can justify it all he wants, but championship teams win with style. Jimmy Johnson would've been mad as hell with that effort. Phillips says a win's a win. Of course, this team will be measured by what happens in December and January.

4. Philadelphia Eagles: Donovan McNabb insists his team should've beaten the Commanders. He may have lost sight of the fact that the Commanders treated them like ragdolls for the final three quarters. The Commanders and Cowboys are about to stack several more wins over the next month. Same goes for the mighty Giants. One more loss and the Eagles will be staring at another .500 season. And why can't the Eagles call plays the whole game as they did on the first 15? When they threw away the script, the Commanders took over.

New York Giants, Washington Commanders, Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles
Read comments or leave a comment

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
didn't he just cut and paste the actual rankings, then add his own spin to why he is right? Even though the standings prove him so?

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
I swear the beginning of the season this ranking was in complete reverse.

pgreptom

Reaction score
This is kind of dumb, because there is no mention of the Giants having to take the Bengals to OT to put them away.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2312572 said:
3. Dallas Cowboys: A week after losing at home to the Commanders, the Cowboys struggled to put the lowly Bengals away. Wade Phillips can justify it all he wants, but championship teams win with style. Jimmy Johnson would've been mad as hell with that effort. Phillips says a win's a win. Of course, this team will be measured by what happens in December and January.

Yo Matt... check it out...

CIN 23 @ NYG 26 OT... but championship teams win with style I thought... :rolleyes:

I didn't like the effort yesterday either, but you have to come up with something better than that garbage. Obviously you are getting your bylines from ESPN...

khiladi

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2312572 said:
2. Washington Commanders: This is the first time since 2005 the Commanders have beaten the Cowboys and Eagles on the road. After falling behind 14-0 early, Jim Zorn's team showed a lot of resolve. This looks like a dominant team right now. Jason Campbell is having a Pro Bowl-type season. He just doesn't make mistakes, and he's at his best late in games.

:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

How do you make the pro-bowl by throwing less than 200 yards in 2 games? How many TDs has this guy thrown? Hell, even Randle El had to throw the ball for a TD yesterday....

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
trickblue;2312614 said:
Yo Matt... check it out...

CIN 23 @ NYG 26 OT... but championship teams win with style I thought... :rolleyes:

I didn't like the effort yesterday either, but you have to come up with something better than that garbage. Obviously you are getting your bylines from ESPN...

Once you become a member of the ESPN staff, your IQ level and objectivity rating drops. What applies to the goose apparently doesn't apply to the gander when the 'Boys are involved.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
khiladi;2312619 said:

How do you make the pro-bowl by throwing less than 200 yards in 2 games? How many TDs has this guy thrown? Hell, even Randle El had to throw the ball for a TD yesterday....

He has 6 TD's this season.....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have no issue with the ESPN ranking of the East. Right now if you are being objective the Giants at 4-0 and the skins 4-1 coming off back to back road wins aginst division rivals should be ranked where they currently are. However ranking like BCS ranking in college at this time of the year mean nothing because they will change as the season moves forward.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Eh, for now he's right. He's being objective, which is hard to do as a fan and he rightly admits that the rankings now mean little, it's December and January where things get decided.

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
Mosley's rankings are quickly becoming the equivalent of s*** in a toilet.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
pgreptom;2312590 said:
This is kind of dumb, because there is no mention of the Giants having to take the Bengals to OT to put them away.

Sure there is:

Tom Coughlin almost seems to embrace adversity, and his team reflects that mentality

The Giants, like all championship teams, embraced adversity against the Bengals and came away victorious.

The Cowboys, unlike championship teams, "struggled to put the lowly Bengals away."

Seems perfectly obvious to me.

TX_Yid

Reaction score
The ranking might be right, but the reasoning is BS.

Right now the Giants are playing the best ball, the Commanders are looking tough and we have been a little inconsistent.

The BS ignoring the Giants only just escaping the Bengals last week and saying Campbell is pro-bowl bound because he hasn't thrown any Ints, is just that, BS.

Phoward12

Reaction score
khiladi;2312619 said:

Campbell is on pace for 3,400 yards, 24 touchdowns, and 0 interceptions right now. What more do you want for a QB to be playing at a pro-bowl level?

zeroburrito

Reaction score
Phoward12;2312843 said:
Campbell is on pace for 3,400 yards, 24 touchdowns, and 0 interceptions right now. What more do you want for a QB to be playing at a pro-bowl level?

don't you mean less than 20 td's? if low 3000 yards and less than 20 td's is pro-bowl level, they have really lowered the standards.

TX_Yid

Reaction score
Campbell actually on pace for 3372 yards and 19 TDs

zeroburrito

Reaction score
TX_Yid;2312908 said:
Campbell actually on pace for 3372 yards and 19 TDs

that's the mark of a bus-driver, not a pro-bowl player. the low int's and low yardage just confirms it even more.

Phoward12

Reaction score
Before yesterday's game, Campbell had thrown 6 TD's in 4 games, which equates to 24 TD's over the season. True, he didn't throw one yesterday, but out next three games are against teams with atrocious secondaries. I'm pretty sure he'll get right back on pace, if not exceed it.

So yeah, 24 TD's and 3,400 yards isn't world-beating, but we have a good ground attack. And frankly, if he continues to not throw any intereceptions, then yes, that makes him pro-bowl worthy.

Romo is a good QB and is also Pro-Bowl worthy. He has 11 TD's and 5 Int's, which gives him what, +6 touchdowns, the same number as Campbell. Romo will make the Pro-Bowl barring a collapse, and I respect that. You should be giving Campbell respect in return.