Video: ESPN: Photos of Greg Hardy's former girlfriend show multiple injuries

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
The punishment (the second time around) was so severe because of all the public outrage.

The public was outraged because of the video of the incident.

So yes, the video led to the severity of the punishment. No video, and there's no endless 24-hour loop of the event on all 4 ESPN network and no whipping the public into a frenzy. There's no Goodell press conference carried live on literally every single TV station in the country. It would have been just another "An NFL star got arrested for domestic violence, but charges were dropped" story like countless others before.

Pretty much the way it always was before. Players can't get away with what they used to.;

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
I don't know if she did or not, but I think the odds are high that she didn't. First, its SOP for defense attorneys to make some token offer like 25K to drop civil charges because the cost of going to trial is 500K or more. Second, Hardy's attorneys knew this case was radioactive and cooperated with the NFL but said there was no payout. Knowing the NFL was trying to crucify their client, the lawyers had to know Hardy could get a much harsher penalty or suspension if they lied about it and it was proven later. I have no doubt the NFL investigated whether or not there was a payoff and if they found it, they would have used it against Hardy.

The prosecutor told the judge that a settlement (no dollar amount specified) had been agreed upon between the parties. Such a move if signed into a contract would be used to prevent any future civil action.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
The DA in Hardy's case could have continue with the trail. There was no law requiring the girls to testify. They dropped the case because they knew that could not win.

Vick's crimes were proven and he was found guilty in court. His crimes very done with malicious intent. Even if Hardy did do something it would likely have been an emotional reaction where he shoved her and not a deliberate plan that took place over years.

Prosecutors drop a lot of cases they believe they can't win, even though they fully believe that a crime had been committed. No smoking gun there. Even if it had been an emotional reaction a crime would have still been committed. Hell, one of the biggest differences between first degree, second degree, and manslaughter is that with voluntary manslaughter, that is a killing that would otherwise be considered murder but that occurs after the victim has done something to the killer that would cause a reasonable person to lose self-control or act irrationally. It doesn't excuse the act; it merely mitigates the degree of punishment.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Photos of Greg Hardy's former girlfriend show multiple injuries

ESPN.com news services

[embedded video]

A year and a half after defensive end Greg Hardy was arrested and charged with attacking and threatening his then-girlfriend, Nicole Holder, the public is getting its first look at the injuries Hardy allegedly inflicted on her.

The pictures released Friday show Holder with multiple bruises all over her body and include several of Hardy with marks on his face.

******** obtained the photos, along with hundreds of pages of records in the case, and published them on its site Friday afternoon.

Hardy, who plays for the Dallas Cowboys but at the time was a member of the Carolina Panthers, was accused by Holder of throwing her against a bathroom wall, throwing her on a bed covered with assault rifles, choking her and threatening her life during an altercation at his apartment.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...s-alleged-domestic-violence-incident-revealed

https://lh3.***BROKEN***/-7eMsS5lwA-s/VjmFXA9KfmI/AAAAAAAEdOs/-G7zqfTYSYw/s426/16EJW.gif

VThokie7

Reaction score
How do you know that the pictures along with her testifying would be enough to get a conviction in a jury trial? They had the pictures and they had all of her statements. They just didn't have her. If her side of what happened and these pictures were enough... then the DA would have gone ahead with the prosecution.

He didn't. That would make me think her testimony and the pictures aren't enough because they had that. They had everything that Holder had said and they had the pics but the DA wouldn't repeat in a jury trial what Holder had said because he didn't trust the testimony enough. She contradicted herself on numerous things and he couldn't use any of it because of that.

So the pictures didn't sway anyone and her testimony wasn't trustworthy... so I don't think those two things would be enough because they weren't.

I don't know what happened any more than you do (or anyone else). Do I know that the bruises aren't from Hardy striking her and knocking her around? No, I don't. However, we also don't know that Holder didn't attack him and cause the bruises herself either. Hardy and the other guy there both testified that Holder slammed the toilet lid down on her own arm multiple times and said that she jumped straight up in the shower and fell down on purpose. Do you know that isn't true? No, you can't.

At least both parties agree about the big bruise on her elbow... it is there because she slammed it back into the face of Hardy's friend.

So, just like I can't know what really happened, you can't know what really happened either. I think that either one or a combination of the two could have occurred, so I try not to speak in absolutes because nobody really knows.

Yet, most people speak in absolutes that Hardy is a piece of human filth and deserves either a long jail sentence of should never be allowed to play football again. That is harsh considering everything we know and don't know about what happened.

For me, it comes down to this... even if Hardy did rough her up and did react poorly to her coming over and raising hell in his house... what he was accused of was a misdemeanor and didn't even include any jail time. Even if he did all that, he has missed more than a season, lost nearly $4 million this year and really, lost much more than that because of the long-term contract he lost out on this past off season.... not to mention his reputation is shot at this point. All of that is plenty and then some for whatever happened there that night. But people want him to never play again. Want Dallas to cut him and some even want him in prison as well.

I have even heard a few people online say that they wouldn't mind capitol punishment for Hardy.

I mean all of that just is nuts and way, way overkill. The insanely PC environment that twitter, facebook, etc. fosters these days is ridiculous and probably colors every comment by anyone standing up for Hardy.

In short, this is all just nuts to me and doesn't follow even a semblance of common sense.

There is a huge difference between prosecution and conviction. It was more than enough to be prosecuted. Convicted? That's another story.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The prosecutor told the judge that a settlement (no dollar amount specified) had been agreed upon between the parties. Such a move if signed into a contract would be used to prevent any future civil action.

If the prosecutor had no contact with Ms Holder for months how would he know they reached a settlement? He said no one had contact with her from Nov-Feb but how hard did they try. She frequently updated her Facebook page and spent weeks back at her parents home over the Winter.

He would also know that a settlement to prevent her from testifying would be a crime. So the only way to know that she reached a deal would be if Ms Holder's attorney told him but what kind of attorney would open their client up to criminal charges?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The prosecutor got into trouble for making that statement without evidence.

I think the judge said he was on the verge of prosecutorial misconduct.

khiladi

Reaction score
They released additional pictures.. These pictures tell us nothing more than we already know...

When you grab a woman whose trying to attack you and have to restrain her, especially when the confrontation borders on close to an hour, bruises are going to happen, especially if your 280 pounds and disprupting offenisve lineman.. All she has on her face is a little bruise under her chin, that kids get when they fall all the time. Ray Rice was on tape and he knocked out his fiance cold.

AND SHE RAN AWAY FROM THE POLICE...

Shows a lot of restraint on Hardy's part actually.. Called 9-11 TWICE and tried to get the coked up girl off HIS property. after he came home and she was there.. He should have filed trespassing charges...

khiladi

Reaction score
So assault is not assault, unless it's initiated by a male.. Spare me this hypocrisy...

khiladi

Reaction score
It was ALREADY documented that the NFL made an additional request to see the photos, before they announced the 10 game suspension. The NFL in fact threatened a LAWSUIT over this. We all know they were just trying to cover their tracks to look like they cared. I'm even more surprised the reaction of some on this forum, like it is new news. We were talking about it ad nauseum on this forum.

The nonsense about this whole thing is the media is acting like they are Sherlock Holmes and broke some new story, when in fact, anybody familiar with the Greg Hardy story knows about these events, over 6 months past. I've got friends over here in the DC area acting like this is news, only because Hardy is raising havoc on the DL.

Here is one article from April of this year, proving this:

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...fl-view-photos-domestic-violence-trial-040115

"We appreciate the District Attorney's office agreeing to make the information available to us and we look forward to the opportunity to review the photographs," NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said.

The great thing about the internet is the media can no longer make up stories that can't be verified in a matter of seconds.

khiladi

Reaction score
And another clarification:

Hardy settled so she wouldn't pursue CIVIL litigation, which is totally different from the criminal trial. She doesn't have to prove much in Civil litigation in reality.

Hardy got off from CRIMINAL charges as a separate process, totally independent of this 'financial settlement'. But lets all continue to let the media continue to obfuscate this to smear Hardy.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again I don't think RKG ever had to do with off field trouble.

They are guys that love football, put the team first, will play multiple positions and special teams, will play thru injuries. They can be Team Captains, Boy Scout types but they have to be.

Wish I could like this 100 times. Folks need to learn the true meaning of RKG.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fans generally don't understand what RKG means to Garrett. It never meant boy scout. It was primarily his term for what it takes to be a good team member and a guy that has the ability to function within the team concept. I'm certain that Garrett would have considered Michael Irvin an RKG.

Garrett had to over-focus on "RKGs" in the beginning because Wade had ruined the team mentality with a bunch of over entitled underachievers. Once Garrett and the Cowboys replaced most the the players that Wade ruined with college team captains and general goods guys, then the Cowboys started being more open to adding some character risk players.

Keep in mind Hardy does not have a history of criminal problems and was well liked by previous teammates.

Another good explaination.

cajuncocoa

✮ ✮ ✮ ✮ ✮
Reaction score
If that 275 lb man wanted to hurt her, she would be hurt. She wouldn't have run away from the scene and police. She likely wouldn't have walked away.

She WAS hurt. Did you see the bruises??

The fact that he COULD have done worse isn't the issue. I'm trying to understand what you're saying....as long as he didn't kill her...as long as she could "walk away"...there's nothing to see here?? Is that what you're saying?

Good grief.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
She WAS hurt. Did you see the bruises??

The fact that he COULD have done worse isn't the issue. I'm trying to understand what you're saying....as long as he didn't kill her...as long as she could "walk away"...there's nothing to see here?? Is that what you're saying?

Good grief.

Leave it alone. As I've said, I've done my own homework on the facts

You're not changing my mind and I'm not looking to change yours Charlie Brown.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure why some just can't grasp this.

I think it has everything to do with what is a terrible and upsetting subject matter.

But I think many are quick to assume things given the people and genders involved.