ESPN Scout Kidd: For Dallas and Pac, answer is to attack...

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Scouts Inc.: For Dallas and Pac, answer is to attack
October 10, 2008 5:40 PM

Posted by Scouts Inc.'s Keith Kidd

After signing cornerback CB Adam Jones and drafting first-rounder Mike Jenkins, few believed Dallas would leave any cracks in coverage to be exploited. The team's offseason moves would allow coordinator Brian Stewart the flexibility to use strong safety Roy Williams as a glorified linebacker (where he wouldn't be a liability in coverage) and move cornerback Anthony Henry to free safety. Bottom line: the secondary suddenly had more cover men than you could shake a stick at, the better to match up with opponents' three- and four-receiver sets.

The results haven't been terrible (210.2 passing yards allowed per game), but given the Cowboys' personnel in the secondary and the benefits of a strong pass rush (14 sacks), the back-end coverage has been underwhelming at best. What's really strange is that this attacking 3-4 defense has been more vulnerable to wideouts than backs and tight ends, which generally runs counter to conventional thought.

Communication and timing have been problems, and that stems from a lack of continuity, familiarity and experience. Cornerback Terence Newman (sports hernia) has missed two games; Williams (forearm) has missed three; Jones is new to the team and coming off a year out of rotation due to suspension; and Jenkins, he's a rookie. Missed assignments are bound to occur when a team's defensive backs haven't played together long and are constantly being shuffled.

Jones, an exceptional talent, was believed to be the missing link in the Cowboys' secondary. Paired with Newman, a borderline shutdown corner, the duo were expected to provide excellent matchup capability and give Stewart nearly unlimited flexibility in his schemes. And though Jones has limited big plays and held his own so far in Dallas , even while occasionally covering top wideouts, his timing and reactions aren't ideally sharp after his extended layoff. Is Pacman ready for a starting role, in which he may have to cover for the other guy (Henry) rather than the other way around?

Until Newman returns, the Cowboys will need to get creative and take more risks. Disguise coverages. Play more man-to-man. Get physical with receivers at the line. Dial up more pressures. (Inside linebacker Zach Thomas already has been coming more often.) If the four-man front Dallas uses on passing downs gets pressure, Stewart can use more two-deep coverages to protect the defense on the back end. But without the benefit of the blitz, the Cowboys' secondary often has to cover too long. Whether or not Jones is ready for his close-up, Stewart needs to be more aggressive.

Dallas Cowboys, Adam Jones, Mike Jenkins, Roy Williams, Terence Newman
Read comments or leave a comment

reddyuta

Reaction score
the article is right.

we cant just play soft zone and hope to succeed against the cardinals.we have to disguise our coverage and confuse warner and hope our pass rush can do some some damage when we are playing man.

WG5516

Reaction score
reddyuta;2325492 said:
the article is right.

we cant just play soft zone and hope to succeed against the cardinals.we have to disguise our coverage and confuse warner and hope our pass rush can do some some damage when we are playing man.

Have they disguised a coverage at all this year?

reddyuta

Reaction score
WG5516;2325514 said:

some but I think stewart is very predictable.we need a mixture of calls-dont be predictable and mix things up.

triplets92

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of stewart. we're more of a finess defence then a smash mouth defence and thats because of the way the d is set up. our cb's hardly get up close allowing qbs to kill us with the dinks and dunks 10-15 yrd passes. but we have the talent to produce a great pass rush and if the cbs play closer we could see alot more turnovers

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I think I have seen Pacman frustrated on the field due to our schemes and playing off.

Frankly I am glad that he gets pissed about it.

In the same vain that I am glad when TO gets pissed when we arent doing the right things on offense.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
WG5516;2325514 said:

They did a bit against the Bengals and Packers. They tried playing man against the Skins, but Zorn kept successfully motioning the receivers and it kept confusing the secondary.

I'm not exactly thrilled with the soft zone coverage we play, but I still think there's other issues here...particularly in that it doesn't matter if they press or play soft zone, the corners still struggle on the short passes.

YAKUZA

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2325524 said:
make our guys read this article

Many on this board need to read it that's for sure. The players know the score and what they need to do. Not having better safety coverage is hurting, too.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
WG5516;2325514 said:

Yeah. The first play last week when Gregg Ellis picked Palmer off.

I'm sure we've done it more than that, but the coverage disguise led to an int, imagine that.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
I would like to see our CB's maul the receivers at the LOS. My memory may not be totally correct so if anybody remembers this differently please say so. When the Packers beat the Whiners for the right to play us in the NFCC game in 1996 (after the 1995 season) thats how they did it. The Cowboys and Whiners were generally acknowledged to be the two best teams in the league, but the pack went in to SF and beat them. They just refused to let the SF WR's get off the line without being hit hard.

It may or may not apply this week, but with all the west coast offense teams we've played so far it would have seriously disrupted their timing. If a QB is only going to take a 3 step drop and has no one to throw to, the linemen have a much better chance to nail him or make him throw it away.

Aliencowboy

Reaction score
Yes !!!

How true this is! I'm not sold on Wades Zone coverage scheme. Man up. Pressure them at the line and bring the heat. I'm so sick of watching teams shred this soft zone.

Dallas has an explosive offense turn up the pressure on defense and games will over in a hurry!