ESPN - Should Cowboys sign Ezekiel Elliott to long-term deal?

DHCBF66

Reaction score
Zeke isn't Emmitt though. We had a losing record in games Emmitt didn't play in but we have a winning record in games Zeke didn't play in.

I'm all for resigning Zeke but he is at the end of the list. Dak, Cooper, Jaylon Smith etc. play a more crucial position and need to be locked up first.
We were 3-3 without Zeke, hardly a winning record!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Could be wrong but I think we are actually 3-4 without Zeke.

2017:
Lost to Falcons, Eagles and Chargers.
Won against the Skins, Giants and Raiders

2016:
Lost to the Eagles.
That was with as backup, would they have been the same with a starting caliber RB?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That was with as backup, would they have been the same with a starting caliber RB?

Depends on who the backup might be but the point is that I don't believe we were 3-3 without Zeke. I believe we are 3-4.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Depends on who the backup might be but the point is that I don't believe we were 3-3 without Zeke. I believe we are 3-4.
Not talking about a backup, another starter. The point was made about being 0-2 without Emmitt but that was without a starter, makes a huge difference. There are more affordable RB's that could carry the load, they do not have to have Elliott.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Elliott is a great player but is he critical to the performance of the team? Which is easier to draft? A RB or CB? Give me the choice between Elliott and Jones and my choice is easy, I think Jones is more important to the D than Elliott is to the O, when considering replacing either. Rather have a top 10 CB than a top 3 RB.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Not talking about a backup, another starter. The point was made about being 0-2 without Emmitt but that was without a starter, makes a huge difference. There are more affordable RB's that could carry the load, they do not have to have Elliott.

OK Coach, not in the discussion about Emmitt vs Elliott. I was simply saying that we are 3-4 without Zeke. We are not 3-3, as was stated in the post that I responded to.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OK Coach, not in the discussion about Emmitt vs Elliott. I was simply saying that we are 3-4 without Zeke. We are not 3-3, as was stated in the post that I responded to.
ABQ, I am not making my point well enough, it's not Emmitt vs Elliott, I was trying to make a point of either against another starting back. That 3-4 was with a backup RB, not a bona fide starting RB. Some feel Elliott is the only RB that can make that go and therefore should be re-signed and I totally disagree.

The Cowboys imploded when Romo went down in 15 but that doesn't mean they would have with another starting quality QB and neither of those two were that.

All I am saying is that there are good alternatives to paying Elliott 15M a season. They come out in the draft every year and that is the easiest position to play as a rookie, next to P or PK, in the league.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
ABQ, I am not making my point well enough, it's not Emmitt vs Elliott, I was trying to make a point of either against another starting back. That 3-4 was with a backup RB, not a bona fide starting RB. Some feel Elliott is the only RB that can make that go and therefore should be re-signed and I totally disagree.

The Cowboys imploded when Romo went down in 15 but that doesn't mean they would have with another starting quality QB and neither of those two were that.

All I am saying is that there are good alternatives to paying Elliott 15M a season. They come out in the draft every year and that is the easiest position to play as a rookie, next to P or PK, in the league.

Coach, it's because you have no point to make with me. I don't care about Elliott vs Emmitt. I have stated no opinion on this at all. I am simply saying that the post that I responded to was incorrect.

Post number 21 I believe, said this:

We have been without Zeke 7 times since he was drafted. In those 7 games, our record is 3-4, I believe. That's just the fact of the matter. Your opinions on Elliott and 15 million are nothing that I commented on. So you see, there is nothing to explain because I have no part in that conversation.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
McFadden had over 1000 yards as a starter and that wasn't for the entire season and it made no difference.
DC's gameplan for Elliott. Hardcore.
They don't gameplan for goob starter RB.

Edit: I actually said "good starter RB", but the PC decided to turn my d backwards.
Weird, huh?

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score

Im in total agreement with you. Not sure how people can't see it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coach, it's because you have no point to make with me. I don't care about Elliott vs Emmitt. I have stated no opinion on this at all. I am simply saying that the post that I responded to was incorrect.

Post number 21 I believe, said this:

We have been without Zeke 7 times since he was drafted. In those 7 games, our record is 3-4, I believe. That's just the fact of the matter. Your opinions on Elliott and 15 million are nothing that I commented on. So you see, there is nothing to explain because I have no part in that conversation.
Well, get into the conversation cuz I've just wasted two posts on you.:cool:

MyUserName

Reaction score
I'm not sure why Dallas would give him an extension when it's not even the last year of his rookie deal.
I agree...unless he's willing to give them a home-team discount...or one that makes the last couple years heavily incentive laden.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I'm not sure why Dallas would give him an extension when it's not even the last year of his rookie deal.
Becuz he has plans for his money?

Like the rest of us.

He has earned his contract in a way nobody expected him to be doing it.

He makes rushing titles look easy.

And we know it is not.

So I think Zeke deserves whatever is fair as soon as possible.

And this owner and team deserve to get thru these distractions.

It's part of the FA NFL which is something we never have mastered from the get go.

It would be nice to win some before we pay out the big bucks.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Simple answer: YES

They’re not going to replace Zeke after selecting 4th overall, and him winning 2 of the last 3 rushing titles. He is the grease that keeps this thing going. He like Dak has played behind this same line, and still was the focus of every single defensive coordinator. Zeke is young, and in great shape, if they get a someone who can spell him you’ll see a fresher Zeke. Honestly I think this will be his best year yet. I smell rushing title #3 coming up.

DHCBF66

Reaction score
Go back and add all games Zeke missed and not just a stretch that fits an agenda......hint it's not 6 and it's more than 3 wins.
Last I checked Zeke has missed only 6 games due to suspension unless you want to add the one he was held out in week 17 against the Eagles his rookie season (a game we did lose). Now if there is more please share them with the rest of us, we would like to know!

Flamma

Reaction score
Becuz he has plans for his money?

Like the rest of us.

He has earned his contract in a way nobody expected him to be doing it.

He makes rushing titles look easy.

And we know it is not.

So I think Zeke deserves whatever is fair as soon as possible.

And this owner and team deserve to get thru these distractions.

It's part of the FA NFL which is something we never have mastered from the get go.

It would be nice to win some before we pay out the big bucks.

But is that typical? Don't players sign extensions the year before their final year?