News: ESPN: Source: Garrett expected back as Giants' OC

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I look for Giants to be much improved next year if they can keep Barkley and Jones healthy. And possibly our strongest contender in division. We shall see.

I’m not sure we can be totally sold that Jones will be the franchise QB. He’s shown some spark but not enough consistency. Their team could go either direction. Pending Jones success.

Garrett I think has proven his ability to further develop emerging QB’s and why he was brought in to NY and considered for LA.

And Garrett’s future consideration for a HC will depend on Jones and their offensive progress and the success of the Giants.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I look for Giants to be much improved next year if they can keep Barkley and Jones healthy. And possibly our strongest contender in division. We shall see.

I’m not sure we can be totally sold that Jones will be the franchise QB. He’s shown some spark but not enough consistency. Their team could go either direction. Pending Jones success.

Garrett I think has proven his ability to further develop emerging QB’s and why he was brought in to NY and considered for LA.

And Garrett’s future consideration for a HC will depend on Jones and their offensive progress and the success of the Giants.

I get all this but here are quotes from the article. This has mid season firing or train wreck written all over it:

“finished 31st in total offense and points scored, a source told ESPN.”

“Despite Judge signing off on it, the marriage seemed arranged and wasn't perfect in Year 1. It became evident that Garrett might not be the perfect match with Judge when offensive line coach Marc Colombo was fired midseason. Colombo and Garrett had spent years together in Dallas. Colombo wasn't happy that Judge was bringing in veteran offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo as a consultant, and the situation deteriorated from there.”

“Sources also told ESPN that Judge was very hands-on with the offense (much as he was with the offensive line) and that it seemed to create a noticeable "tension" with Garrett. That could have been because of the results. The Giants (6-10) topped 23 points just once in the final 11 games. Only the New York Jets ranked below them in points and total offense.

Jones also didn't make the strides they were hoping to see in his second season while the offense stumbled continually. He produced just 12 touchdowns this past season but had 16 turnovers.

The Giants were also more aggressive when Kitchens stepped in to call plays while Garrett was unavailable because of a positive COVID-19 test. Judge was especially complimentary of the job Kitchens, a former offensive coordinator and head coach in Cleveland, did in Garrett's absence”

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I get all this but here are quotes from the article. This has mid season firing or train wreck written all over it:

“Garrett, 54, came to New York after nine seasons as the Dallas Cowboys' head coach. But it was at the request of ownership that first-year coach Joe Judge looked at the former Giants backup quarterback to be his coordinator.

Despite Judge signing off on it, the marriage seemed arranged and wasn't perfect in Year 1. It
I’m not disputing any of that . And I’d add if Barkley and Jones were healthy , Garrett would be gone.

But they weren’t and why he’s been given more time IMO.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I’m not disputing any of that . And I’d add if Barkley and Jones were healthy , Garrett would be gone.

But they weren’t and why he’s been given more time IMO.

Agree! I didn’t mean it as an affront on your post, just that the article painted a less than rosy picture and JG needs to use the one thing people think he has...ability to uplift a QB

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Agree! I didn’t mean it as an affront on your post, just that the article painted a less than rosy picture and JG needs to use the one thing people think he has...ability to uplift a QB
I agree. But in order to do so needs his best weapon healthy and healthy himself.

On the flip side after starting 1-7 they fought hard making something of a bad situation and worst offense in the league finishing 6-10 in division race until final week. Albeit in worse division helped.

75boyz

Reaction score
I follow the Giants a decent amount as I try to keep up with at least some of the behind the scenes goings on of the division rivals.

Most of the inside scoop I've read is like this:

Garrett was a suggestion to Judge's staff from the Mara ownership. When Judge was hired, the Garrett/Columbo combo seemed as a possible improvement over the long suffering OL issues the Giants still haven't quite figured out. And with Garrett, it was the previous familiarity comfort that ownership had with him as a former player and rival coach.

Judge and Garrett aren't on the best of terms. There was a steep decline/regression in both Jones and the whole offense when comparing 2019 to 2020, and all of it is not being blamed on Barkley's absence.

Rumor has it that Freddie Kitchens is in the batter's box to replace JG if the offense does not meet Judge's approval.

Columbo was obviously on a short leash and was fired and Judge had a very hands on approach to improving the o line, not to Columbo's approval or Garrett either as I've read.

Garrett's leash is short and the offense will be monitored closely.

Last edited:

fivetwos

Reaction score
Its only a matter of time before they realize Garrett is trying to recreate the 90s Cowboys while the rest of the league is chucking it downfield.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Great news for us. Giants offense was horrific and Daniel Jones regressed in year 2.
That's because her went to Duke. Her didn't regressed just had hyper his rookie year. Anybody that watched him play at Duke would see he couldn't get chemistry with receivers even after 3 years with them.....evidence by barely completing 50 percent of his passes to them

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Source: Garrett expected back as Giants' OC

i

Giants offensive coordinator Jason Garrett is expected to return after a shaky season, a source told ESPN, but there will be some changes to New York's offensive staff.

Read Full Story
so basically the giants offense will be run on first 50% of the time, throw to RB on second and then a deep throw on 3rd. no pre-snap motion,

75boyz

Reaction score

“Despite Judge signing off on it, the marriage seemed arranged and wasn't perfect in Year 1. It became evident that Garrett might not be the perfect match with Judge when offensive line coach Marc Colombo was fired midseason. Colombo and Garrett had spent years together in Dallas. Colombo wasn't happy that Judge was bringing in veteran offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo as a consultant, and the situation deteriorated from there.”

“Sources also told ESPN that Judge was very hands-on with the offense (much as he was with the offensive line) and that it seemed to create a noticeable "tension" with Garrett. That could have been because of the results. The Giants (6-10) topped 23 points just once in the final 11 games. Only the New York Jets ranked below them in points and total offense.

Jones also didn't make the strides they were hoping to see in his second season while the offense stumbled continually. He produced just 12 touchdowns this past season but had 16 turnovers.

The Giants were also more aggressive when Kitchens stepped in to call plays while Garrett was unavailable because of a positive COVID-19 test. Judge was especially complimentary of the job Kitchens, a former offensive coordinator and head coach in Cleveland, did in Garrett's absence”

Yup, outstanding post with your supporting links/articles. My lengthy post centers around this info as well.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Good for him. If Garrett is allowed to build the type of offense we had when Dak was 1st drafted they'll compete for the NFCE. They are still working on revamping their OL but if they get Barkley going with some outside weapons were in trbl.