News: ESPN: Source: MRI confirms torn Achilles for Dez

GenoT

Reaction score
20/20 hindsight here, but...

Considering that Dez hadn’t played or practiced NFL football since Dec 2017, instead of his trying to rush himself into game-shape in order to get a shot at the Cowboys at the end Nov, maybe the Saints should’ve had him SLOWLY work himself back into top condition and be ready to shine for Dec and beyond.

sideon

Reaction score
20/20 hindsight here, but...

Considering that Dez hadn’t played or practiced NFL football since Dec 2017, instead of his trying to rush himself into game-shape in order to get a shot at the Cowboys at the end Nov, maybe the Saints should’ve had him SLOWLY work himself back into top condition and be ready to shine for Dec and beyond.
The Saints didn't do anything wrong here, the fact is an Achilles can just tear from any kind of exertion. Guys who have been playing since the start of the season get tears from simply running a play.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
I don't think that's right. I believe everyone in the organization gets a ring.

I believe you're right, but the real question is: Would Dez even want a ring that he did not have the opportunity to earn? he might just come to hate that ring.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Regardless of whether or not the Saints would give Dez a ring if they win, the talk about Dez and a ring should never be discussed again. It would be a token ring which would be more of an embarrassment than something to be proud of. Players want to earn a ring, not be gifted one for 2 days of practice.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The Saints didn't do anything wrong here, the fact is an Achilles can just tear from any kind of exertion. Guys who have been playing since the start of the season get tears from simply running a play.
But Dez hasn't been playing since the start of the season. So it's reasonable to assume his tear is a result of his inactivity, at least in terms of football shape.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
So does he rehab on the Saints expense?
How long does it reasonably take a player to come back from this injury?
And will the Saints want him back, you think?

GenoT

Reaction score
I tore my right Achilles playing basketball in 1984...so I know a fair bit about the subject. While it’s true that it’s an unpredictable injury, I still believe Dez might have, in his haste to get back into game condition, gotten a bit overzealous.

Any word on what he was doing when the injury occurred?

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
If the Saints had picked up Dez in the off season instead. He would have had more time to work himself back into game shape at a slow steady pace. To eventually be ready to play for the Saints in the regular season. I do believe Dez was just eager to get back into game shape as soon as possible, especially in time enough to face the Cowboys.

I think conditioning has something to do with him getting hurt.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Well not really, if saints were to win and I were dez I would say wheres my ring ! lol
it is worth a lot, and he earned it with the injury.
A lot of players get rings that never play or do anything significant.

Had the injury not occurred he would have contributed, no one can say how much, but he would have made some plays.
plus better to have a ring you didnt earn than no ring at all.
Yea, he'll probably need it to pawn somewhere down the line.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
he was signed and had just got his uniform with the # 88, so he was on the team.
It was his second practice when injury occurred.
He should get a ring, but everyone is jumping the gun on the ring, because first NO has to get to and win the SB.

He didn't contribute anything. Do you also want rings for UDFA rookies who went on IR early in training camp?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
If the Saints had picked up Dez in the off season instead. He would have had more time to work himself back into game shape at a slow steady pace. To eventually be ready to play for the Saints in the regular season. I do believe Dez was just eager to get back into game shape as soon as possible, especially in time enough to face the Cowboys.

I think conditioning has something to do with him getting hurt.

Conditioning doesn't tear Achilles tendons

DandyDon52

Reaction score
He didn't contribute anything. Do you also want rings for UDFA rookies who went on IR early in training camp?
yes the billionaire owners should give them all rings !
What does it matter anyway.
maybe they should get rings but fewer diamonds on it.

In case you dont know even office personnel can get rings.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Conditioning doesn't tear Achilles tendons
no but it could play a part in it.
Tendons that tear I think are already damaged or have some kind of flaw, that leads to the tear.
Some have micro tears and then the right pressure is put on it and it can tear more, or rupture.

body condition will play a part, and going from inactive to extremely active is not good if you have a flawed or weakened or inflamed tendon.
They dont just tear for no reason.

C42

Reaction score
This sucks, I was looking forward to seeing him back on the field. This could be a career ender.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Dez, someone is trying to tell you something. Maybe it's not meant to be. Or maybe you just need to hang in there, heal and make your comeback in 2019. Take advantage of the Saints facilities to rehab!

stiletto

Reaction score
Awful way to end, sounds like he didn't keep in great shape though.

Being in shape and getting old are two different things. He is 30, not old by normal standards...he could be 2% body-fat but tendons and those type things are still 30 years old. Was probably trying to do too much in practice or didn't stretch out properly. Feel for the guy though.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
no but it could play a part in it.
Tendons that tear I think are already damaged or have some kind of flaw, that leads to the tear.
Some have micro tears and then the right pressure is put on it and it can tear more, or rupture.

body condition will play a part, and going from inactive to extremely active is not good if you have a flawed or weakened or inflamed tendon.
They dont just tear for no reason.

Right. Dez - a guy looking for an NFL job has been sitting on the couch instead of working out? He was never lazy with the physical work. I doubt very much that he'd been inactive.

Rajveer

Reaction score
I feel bad for Dez. I almost wanted him to face us and have a big game. Throw a BIg X in front of Carrot tops and Jerry's face.