News: ESPN: Will Cowboys spend big? Barnwell predicts moves for NFC East

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Will Cowboys spend big? Barnwell predicts moves for NFC East

i

Will Dallas extend the contracts for three stars? What will Philly do with Nick Foles? Let's make offseason moves for the NFC East.

Read Full Story

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Lawrence's new deal will be somewhere around five years and $100 million, with $60 million due in the first three seasons."

A wise man has been saying this exact same thing. It's nice to see someone agreeing with him.

And as for the cuts, I would go one step further and release or rework Crawford's deal. Cutting him saves nearly $6 million as well than can be put to better use.

Daillest88

Reaction score
"Lawrence's new deal will be somewhere around five years and $100 million, with $60 million due in the first three seasons."

A wise man has been saying this exact same thing. It's nice to see someone agreeing with him.

And as for the cuts, I would go one step further and release or rework Crawford's deal. Cutting him saves nearly $6 million as well than can be put to better use.

Crawford has a very good year for us.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
6 years, $160MM with almost $80MM guaranteed for Prescott? Yikes.

Well here's the issue, 6 year contract, average $26.66 mil a year. Right now someone like Stafford, who's hardly sniffed the playoffs, averages $27 mil. Cousins? $28 mil. Just what will a top quarterback cost in, say, 2024? I suspect upwards of $35 mil a year, or more. So locking Dak in for $26.66 mil means (assuming he develops into a top qb, or the team does and he's the starter) he'll be a bargain in 2024. And with the cap going up it's average for the last 5 years, about $8 mil, that means by 2024 the cap will be at $217 mil, so Dak costs the Cowboys only about 11% of the cap.

That's the rosy scenario.

On the other hand, if he gets better and you don't sign him, his value will be more like $30 mil, since the top qb salaries go up just about every year, and who knows what the team will need in another year? Zeke gets a chronic injury, Freddy's GBS flares up and he has to retire, Martin's shoulder goes out, etc. and now you need help big time, right NOW.

Of course you can sign him, and if he never gets better, or gets worse, you've got another Romo on your hands, dead cap eats you alive.

That's the doom and gloom scenario.

Really a shot in the dark, actually Dak not improving is at least a bit more likely, he's had 3 years in the league and still has some of his same issues, though Moore maybe can help him there. Just another unknown.

But one things for sure, whatever the Cowboys do, a lot of folks here won't like it!:grin:

JustChip

Reaction score
This is one of the most salient statements in the article....."After Dallas missed out on Paxton Lynch and Connor Cook before settling for Prescott, I wouldn't trust Jerry Jones & Co. to go back into the quarterback market." Dak has warts, but the issue is can the Cowboys win with him and, just as importantly, do they have the time window it would take to change at this point?

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Prescotts deal is 26.6mil per in that article.

Not great, not terrible.
Tlaw turns 27 in April and should be in line for a deal at or near the top of the market, comparable to what Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack received last offseason. He's not necessarily quite as good as those two players, but he is very close and is both the best available defender on the market this offseason and one with a ton of leverage.

If the 'Boys franchises him again, they may not be able to afford a long-term deal next year. They need to lock him in now before Daks extension kicks in.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Talk about a terrible return on those funds...ouch.

So then, what is your answer to it? Sit it out, wait and see, and what if Dak blows the doors open and takes us to the NFCC and wins it, and then a SB and wins it???? what then? What's his worth to us then??? If they sign him now, I say they save money in the long run, wait it out and it may just come back to bite you. Is he worth 26, 28 MIL?? I don't know, but I damn well betcha MN is sucking wind right about now for the deal they gave Cousins, and HE in the world of QB's and most minds on here blows our gimpy arm, slow processing QB away. Hummmmm what will you do. I'll wait and see your grand idea on where and what and how and how much it's all worth. BTW Cousins, can't hold a candle to DP. DP OWNS his butt last 3 seasons. So much for the gimpy Dak P.

Swagger

Reaction score
Well here's the issue, 6 year contract, average $26.66 mil a year. Right now someone like Stafford, who's hardly sniffed the playoffs, averages $27 mil. Cousins? $28 mil. Just what will a top quarterback cost in, say, 2024? I suspect upwards of $35 mil a year, or more. So locking Dak in for $26.66 mil means (assuming he develops into a top qb, or the team does and he's the starter) he'll be a bargain in 2024. And with the cap going up it's average for the last 5 years, about $8 mil, that means by 2024 the cap will be at $217 mil, so Dak costs the Cowboys only about 11% of the cap.

That's the rosy scenario.

On the other hand, if he gets better and you don't sign him, his value will be more like $30 mil, since the top qb salaries go up just about every year, and who knows what the team will need in another year? Zeke gets a chronic injury, Freddy's GBS flares up and he has to retire, Martin's shoulder goes out, etc. and now you need help big time, right NOW.

Of course you can sign him, and if he never gets better, or gets worse, you've got another Romo on your hands, dead cap eats you alive.

That's the doom and gloom scenario.

Really a shot in the dark, actually Dak not improving is at least a bit more likely, he's had 3 years in the league and still has some of his same issues, though Moore maybe can help him there. Just another unknown.

But one things for sure, whatever the Cowboys do, a lot of folks here won't like it!:grin:

"Another Romo" - he didn't get worse! If Prescott can throw 34 TDs and 9 interceptions in his last full season then pay him whatever.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
This is one of the most salient statements in the article....."After Dallas missed out on Paxton Lynch and Connor Cook before settling for Prescott, I wouldn't trust Jerry Jones & Co. to go back into the quarterback market." Dak has warts, but the issue is can the Cowboys win with him and, just as importantly, do they have the time window it would take to change at this point?

Lynch and Cook both busts at this point, how did Dallas "miss out" on flops? "Missed out" would mean they flourished and Dallas could have had them but got Dak instead.

I would submit the Cowboys "dodged a bullet" by not getting Lynch or Cook. And I was a Cook supporter when he was available in the draft...