News: ESPN: Will Cowboys spend big? Barnwell predicts moves for NFC East

dallasdave

Reaction score
"Lawrence's new deal will be somewhere around five years and $100 million, with $60 million due in the first three seasons."

A wise man has been saying this exact same thing. It's nice to see someone agreeing with him.

And as for the cuts, I would go one step further and release or rework Crawford's deal. Cutting him saves nearly $6 million as well than can be put to better use.
That would be a good idea and cut some others as well=look at WR

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I took it the author was saying they really wanted both Lynch and Cook, but were usurped in getting either of them. I.e., they were clueless and got lucky to have been saved from their cluelessness by Denver and Oakland. It doesn't bode well of their ability to identify the right QB if they were to make the stupid mistake of going away from Dak.
Cant remember which article it was but it says Cowboys were looking to draft 2 QBs that draft. Dak was one of those and they tried to get Lynch or Cook to pair with him. After the Weeden, Cassell and Moore debacle it makes sense

TwentyOne

Reaction score
The coaches say otherwise.

Coaches never give negative feeback about a player in public.

"Has had a very good season" means he did what he supposed to do. Nothing special.

Its like "he is very coachable". Which could also mean, he needs alot of work, he has no talent, is very raw but is willing to listen to us.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
No reason to wait anything out the proof is in the pudding. If you want mediocrity stay with him if you want a legit franchise QB you don't sign him to a long term deal.
Ok, silver... lets al hope and pray they DO NOT go your way with DP....

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Ok, silver... lets al hope and pray they DO NOT go your way with DP....
Nope you will never get a full consensus but you can feel differently by all means. Scouts, experts, and now pros talk and write about his inconsistency. The same writing that has always followed him around at his most studied levels.

Pants

Reaction score
"6 years and $160m is a starting point...."

no, I don't give a young rodgers that....I like Dak and I want to see him get signed, but that amount of cheddar is silly talk

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Nope you will never get a full consensus but you can feel differently by all means. Scouts, experts, and now pros talk and write about his inconsistency. The same writing that has always followed him around at his most studied levels.
Riiiight... so all we need to do, is dump our sloppy, inconsistent dunk and dunk noodle arm QB, sign up that #1 overall QB in the draft and we are super bowl bound baby... heck yea lets do it.....:facepalm::muttley::muttley::muttley::muttley::muttley:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
What’s Dak’s win/loss record? Something like 37-17?

Flamma

Reaction score
Well here's the issue, 6 year contract, average $26.66 mil a year. Right now someone like Stafford, who's hardly sniffed the playoffs, averages $27 mil. Cousins? $28 mil. Just what will a top quarterback cost in, say, 2024? I suspect upwards of $35 mil a year, or more. So locking Dak in for $26.66 mil means (assuming he develops into a top qb, or the team does and he's the starter) he'll be a bargain in 2024. And with the cap going up it's average for the last 5 years, about $8 mil, that means by 2024 the cap will be at $217 mil, so Dak costs the Cowboys only about 11% of the cap.

Mistakes should not be used as an example in determining future contracts, but as a cautionary tale instead.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Mistakes should not be used as an example in determining future contracts, but as a cautionary tale instead.

Correct, but:

The top contracts don't go down, I'm not saying the Cowboys should pay that, what I'm saying is that once somebody that's "successful", as in Stafford's case, gets to that amount, that's what the market is.

Whether or not a team chooses to pay market value is up to them, but if they don't pay it, somebody else likely will.

And that might be the way to go, again, not saying the Cowboys should kowtow to the market, but that's what the Cowboys would have to decide...

Flamma

Reaction score
Correct, but:

The top contracts don't go down, I'm not saying the Cowboys should pay that, what I'm saying is that once somebody that's "successful", as in Stafford's case, gets to that amount, that's what the market is.

Whether or not a team chooses to pay market value is up to them, but if they don't pay it, somebody else likely will.

And that might be the way to go, again, not saying the Cowboys should kowtow to the market, but that's what the Cowboys would have to decide...

I agree the market will probably continue to rise. But every starting quarterback doesn't deserve top end money. Dak is not Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers, not even close. So how close should their contracts be if they all had to sign today?

Besides that, who exactly is Dallas competing with for Prescott? What teams that currently need a starting QB will throw 27 mil per at Dak?

GMO415

Reaction score
I bet all those Dak haters didn't like the facts about Dak had better stats than Wentz........

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I agree the market will probably continue to rise. But every starting quarterback doesn't deserve top end money. Dak is not Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers, not even close. So how close should their contracts be if they all had to sign today?

Besides that, who exactly is Dallas competing with for Prescott? What teams that currently need a starting QB will throw 27 mil per at Dak?

Once again. My point is that IF you want to sign Dak after he's had a very good year, IF he does, the market will be probably $30 mil a year for a "top" quarterback. IF the Cowboys want to pay it, they will do so. And the market will continue to go up, if they don't sign Dak this year for $30 mil, for instance, next year the top may be $31 mil, or $32 mil. So by signing him now, you will save money in the long run. And IF you do so, hopefully he'll earn that contract.

A simple example: In 2017 Stafford signed a 5 year deal for $135 mil, $27 mil average In 2018, one year later, Matt Ryan signed a 5 year deal, for $150 mil, $30 mil a year.
Now of course the team's cap, how willing the quarterback is to sign for a bit less money, guaranteed money and the relative success of the players all comes into play, but again, as a simple example, the salaries go up every year. When Brees came up for a contract a few years ago, he held out until he got either the most total, or most per year or something like that, despite publicly saying the old "hey, it's not the money I just want to win/love it here", but yet, STILL didn't sign until he got that top $$$ figure, whatever it was.

Please note I'm not advocating for any particular action, or amount. Just pointing out that there are reasons and justifications why teams would play a certain amount for a quarterback, or not pay a certain amount, and it's up to the Cowboys to decide what they will do...