News: ESPN: Will Cowboys spend big? Barnwell predicts moves for NFC East

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I bet all those Dak haters didn't like the facts about Dak had better stats than Wentz........

Stats aside, might also throw in the fact that Wentz missed time with a knee injury, Dak's never missed a game. And there's a possibility Wentz has a back problem that will limit his career.

Problem is, comparing one quarterback to another can only go so far, since they are on different teams, with different coaches and supporting players.

Sort of like why I never like the phrasing "Dak beat Wentz" or "Wentz beat Brady", this ain't golf, you don't directly play the other quarterback...

Flamma

Reaction score
Once again. My point is that IF you want to sign Dak after he's had a very good year, IF he does,

I agree with you. But that's a very big if in the room. I'd rather pay the 30 knowing we have a very good QB, over paying 26 and being disappointed.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I agree with you. But that's a very big if in the room. I'd rather pay the 30 knowing we have a very good QB, over paying 26 and being disappointed.

I hear you, but it's not up to us, we'll be stuck with whatever Jerry decides...

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
ROFL.."we" as in the cowboys??? I wans't talking about fans, we have ZERO accountability, or input to team decisions, but we sure can toss around a lot of bull ****
Hard for me to say we as a fan. You like Dak, fine. I'm not a fan of mediocrity.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yea that’s insane , need to knock off atleast 60 million
nah 6-120 will be closer to final number but I wouldn't go that long , 5 yr which includes this years reworked 100mil 50 guaranteed..id ok that for sure..

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Hard for me to say we as a fan. You like Dak, fine. I'm not a fan of mediocrity.
Yes, I do like the kids heart. His love for the game shows every time he's on the field. I tend to take into account how he was pretty much thrown to the wolves with zero time to sit and learn,then have vanillahan and clapper as his "leaders and play calling. DP is lacking a few things, but I'm betting this team could have done a lot worst then Dak Prescott.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
"6 years and $160m is a starting point...."

no, I don't give a young rodgers that....I like Dak and I want to see him get signed, but that amount of cheddar is silly talk
That averages at less then 27 million a year. Three market on QBs are only going up, soon out will be 35-40 million a year just a few years down the road. Some are already getting 30 a year

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Will Cowboys spend big? Barnwell predicts moves for NFC East

i

Will Dallas extend the contracts for three stars? What will Philly do with Nick Foles? Let's make offseason moves for the NFC East.

Read Full Story

I predict sun in july.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Yes, I do like the kids heart. His love for the game shows every time he's on the field. I tend to take into account how he was pretty much thrown to the wolves with zero time to sit and learn,then have vanillahan and clapper as his "leaders and play calling. DP is lacking a few things, but I'm betting this team could have done a lot worst then Dak Prescott.
Again his inconsistent play is his primary fault. Everything fans have witnessed the past three years; skiddish in the pocket when it breaks down, lock down mentality(doesn't progress through his reads), inconsistent deep ball, and a check down machine. All these were labels from scouts coming out of college. Nothing has really changed and I doubt it ever will. Some intangibles you just can't teach. Great kid and he has won some games with his play he just shouldn't be apart of any elite QB discussion. In my opinion.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Again his inconsistent play is his primary fault. Everything fans have witnessed the past three years; skiddish in the pocket when it breaks down, lock down mentality(doesn't progress through his reads), inconsistent deep ball, and a check down machine. All these were labels from scouts coming out of college. Nothing has really changed and I doubt it ever will. Some intangibles you just can't teach. Great kid and he has won some games with his play he just shouldn't be apart of any elite QB discussion. In my opinion.
Right, you hate him, and the fans who understand the game and look at 32 teams with "elite" QB's doing the same things love him, because we don't sit with our thumbs in our mouths pouting about the ohh why isn't he the next Tom Brady, or Rodgers or...... Won some games, hum as a 3 year QB, he set a record for games won.... go back and recheck that one mate. He's not pretty in all aspects, but again, he had no time, not even a DAY to sit and just take it all in. You people expected him to jump on the field and do what exactly? Ohh that's right, win games. Had our oh so grand defense held up in LA, I'll lay a 500 bet he would have won that one for us also. But, you keep on disliking him Silver, I'll stay my hand until he shows up to be another Bortles or flame out like all the rest of those HIGH draft picks....like I said, we could have done ALOT worst then Dak Prescott, hell in fact we have in the past. The great one Romo took us nowhere, not even a divisional game won in his 6 appearances in the p[layoffs, where he was 2-4... Dak has already evened that up in 3 seasons, not 14. But again, you keep haten, will remind you all later of your dislikes, once Dak proves he can be that guy.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Well here's the issue, 6 year contract, average $26.66 mil a year. Right now someone like Stafford, who's hardly sniffed the playoffs, averages $27 mil. Cousins? $28 mil. Just what will a top quarterback cost in, say, 2024? I suspect upwards of $35 mil a year, or more. So locking Dak in for $26.66 mil means (assuming he develops into a top qb, or the team does and he's the starter) he'll be a bargain in 2024. And with the cap going up it's average for the last 5 years, about $8 mil, that means by 2024 the cap will be at $217 mil, so Dak costs the Cowboys only about 11% of the cap.

That's the rosy scenario.

On the other hand, if he gets better and you don't sign him, his value will be more like $30 mil, since the top qb salaries go up just about every year, and who knows what the team will need in another year? Zeke gets a chronic injury, Freddy's GBS flares up and he has to retire, Martin's shoulder goes out, etc. and now you need help big time, right NOW.

Of course you can sign him, and if he never gets better, or gets worse, you've got another Romo on your hands, dead cap eats you alive.

That's the doom and gloom scenario.

Really a shot in the dark, actually Dak not improving is at least a bit more likely, he's had 3 years in the league and still has some of his same issues, though Moore maybe can help him there. Just another unknown.

But one things for sure, whatever the Cowboys do, a lot of folks here won't like it!:grin:

stop trying to compare dak to old qbs. Dak i think is smart enough to know he's going to be this teams franchise qb, and he will most likely get his 2nd big contract from the team in 4 yrs. Think he will get 2 more deals before the age of 32. and take one final one. Alot of you think this team is stuopid and will jus throw money, Tony Romo didnt get the elite contract until 2015. This team thought he was gonna be their qb for th following 4-5yrs. A freak hit took that away. Wish you guys would relax and let this team handle the cap. They know how.

I see alot of cryig about FA too. Its hard to dip into FA when you are drafting as good as they have been for some time now.

75boyz

Reaction score

Perfectly summarized. Your last couple of sentences are the ones that the pro Dak crowd can never accept as mutually exclusive. The incessant make believe narratives of HOF QB comparisons and cherry picked PFF rhetoric stats consistently insult what I watch and see and has already reached comical levels at times here.

Heck, I liked and still like Tebow too. As a man. Not as a quarterback.

Sydla

Reaction score
stop trying to compare dak to old qbs. Dak i think is smart enough to know he's going to be this teams franchise qb, and he will most likely get his 2nd big contract from the team in 4 yrs. Think he will get 2 more deals before the age of 32. and take one final one. Alot of you think this team is stuopid and will jus throw money, Tony Romo didnt get the elite contract until 2015. This team thought he was gonna be their qb for th following 4-5yrs. A freak hit took that away. Wish you guys would relax and let this team handle the cap. They know how.

I see alot of cryig about FA too. Its hard to dip into FA when you are drafting as good as they have been for some time now.

It's really not.

starcity214

Reaction score
What’s Dak’s win/loss record? Something like 37-17?

What's Jeff Heath's W/L record?

And some haters are trying to replace him with that loser Earl Thomas!! Pfft!!

Jeff Heath is a winner and clutch and you know the rest..

You see how DUMB it is to think that a mediocre player is good because he is a starter on a GOOD TEAM?

starcity214

Reaction score
Right, you hate him, and the fans who understand the game and look at 32 teams with "elite" QB's doing the same things love him, because we don't sit with our thumbs in our mouths pouting about the ohh why isn't he the next Tom Brady, or Rodgers or...... Won some games, hum as a 3 year QB, he set a record for games won.... go back and recheck that one mate. He's not pretty in all aspects, but again, he had no time, not even a DAY to sit and just take it all in. You people expected him to jump on the field and do what exactly? Ohh that's right, win games. Had our oh so grand defense held up in LA, I'll lay a 500 bet he would have won that one for us also. But, you keep on disliking him Silver, I'll stay my hand until he shows up to be another Bortles or flame out like all the rest of those HIGH draft picks....like I said, we could have done ALOT worst then Dak Prescott, hell in fact we have in the past. The great one Romo took us nowhere, not even a divisional game won in his 6 appearances in the p[layoffs, where he was 2-4... Dak has already evened that up in 3 seasons, not 14. But again, you keep haten, will remind you all later of your dislikes, once Dak proves he can be that guy.

Only FOOLS think that a guy like Mark Sanchez (who was carried by an elite defense to two AFC Championship games) is better than a guy like Phillip Rivers..

Dak has had the best Cowboys teams in recent memory and it still wasn't enough. What makes you think that if a guy like Rodgers or Luck can't take mediocre rosters to a Super Bowl Dak will be able to do So?

It's pure madness!