ESPN's Bill Barnwell: Cowboys have worst group of WRs in the league

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Only Austin and Robinson would fit in with the talent level on this group.
Do you think based on what we’ve seen so far Dak would have elevated those recievers like Romo did ?

Who exactly has Dak elevated ?

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
The TE position is a a major hole, but as a group, I don't put this receiving corps below:

Buffalo - Kelvin Benjamin hasn't been able to live up to expectations, and their only reliable pass catcher is TE Charles Clay.

TEN: Again, their primary receiver is a TE. They have some young receivers with potential, but I wouldn't rank them Dallas.

Chicago: They signed Allen Robinson, but he's been a one year wonder thus far. The rest of the receivers are pretty unknown and unproven.

That's just off the top of my head, but Hurns, Beasley and Williams are all guys that have produced in this league. I don't think they're as weak as people might think.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Do you think based on what we’ve seen so far Dak would have elevated those recievers like Romo did ?

Who exactly has Dak elevated ?
I am not extending an opinion on Prescott in this case. I am suggesting that the talent level with this group is unlike anything we have seen for a while. Not making excuses for Prescott, but this is a pretty much a group that does not scream impact.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Just another bozo telling us what is , when nobody knows.
I think they will do ok, better than last year.
And if they don’t could you be wrong or will you blame something else? Lol

How the hell but some overly homeristic views believe based on these recievers history this is going to be an effective group? What in the world are you basing it on beyond hopeful speculation?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The TE position is a a major hole, but as a group, I don't put this receiving corps below:

Buffalo - Kelvin Benjamin hasn't been able to live up to expectations, and their only reliable pass catcher is TE Charles Clay.

TEN: Again, their primary receiver is a TE. They have some young receivers with potential, but I wouldn't rank them Dallas.

Chicago: They signed Allen Robinson, but he's been a one year wonder thus far. The rest of the receivers are pretty unknown and unproven.

That's just off the top of my head, but Hurns, Beasley and Williams are all guys that have produced in this league. I don't think they're as weak as people might think.
Only we would think Williams has "produced" in this league. He has been a very basic 2nd WR in every sense of the word. That is not production in many places.

Hurns has moments but keeps getting hurt. Beasley needs to be ignored to be at his best.

All we are doing at this point is saying the Cowboys are either 32nd or 27th. Neither of which means much more other than they are not very good.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I am not extending an opinion on Prescott in this case. I am suggesting that the talent level with this group is unlike anything we have seen for a while. Not making excuses for Prescott, but this is a pretty much a group that does not scream impact.
Now there’s something we can agree on.
“ a group unlike anything we have seen”

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Only we would think Williams has "produced" in this league. He has been a very basic 2nd WR in every sense of the word. That is not production in many places.

Hurns has moments but keeps getting hurt. Beasley needs to be ignored to be at his best.

All we are doing at this point is saying the Cowboys are either 32nd or 27th. Neither of which means much more other than they are not very good.
Williams had his worst season last year . How many #2 recievers don’t have any recieving TD’s?

TWill was a decent #2 but that was complimented with a #1 reciever and prolific passing QB.

I’m not sure why fans can’t fess up we could have some serious issues?

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Good info!
I appreciate you providing some others who could be worse. Unfortunately that’s not very comforting that there might only be 3 teams with a worse recieving Corp.

cern

Reaction score
Greatest change to receiving corps will be coaching and schemes. That could change everything.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, that's not the truth. You're just a fan sugarcoating it while trying to look objective. These "weapons" aren't mostly unproven. Most of them are very much proven. They just aren't very good. Hurns, Williams, Beasley, Thompson, Austin, Swaim. These are veterans with years in the league. You know what they are. And that could easily be 4 of your top 5 WRs and your starting TE this year.

It's been a very long time since the Cowboys have fielded skill position players this terrible.

Correct!!!! I figure the FO knows Dak's limited passing abilities and got this one right as spending monies on WR for a check-down Sally QB is like spending money for ballet school for Andre the Giant.........:eek:

Buzzbait

Reaction score
It's funny all this debate about the Cowboys' receiving corps.
Last night on NFL Network they were saying how Dak needed a receiver that can win on his routes and gain separation; and that he doesn't have one this season.
Umm, did he have one last year? Dez is still unemployed for a reason.

Let's put Antonio Brown or Julio Jones on waivers and see how long they last.

The Cowboys don't need Allen Hurns, Michael Gallup, etc. to be superstars. They just need them to get open and hold onto the ball. A team can have one guy catch 90 passes for 1,450 yards and 10 TD's. If the Cowboys have three guys that can produce 30 catches for 450 yards and 3 or 4 TD's each; in this run-first offense it's the same thing.

Right on the money CT! Like you said, we did NOT have a receiver last year that could "win on his routes and gain separation" and dez was no exception.
There's a chance that may change this year with Sanjay Lal in charge of our WRs. ;)

Knotamus

Reaction score
A bunch of blah, blah, blah from a bunch of reporter hacks from BSPN.. the same people that said we would be dead last in our division two years ago when we went 13-3.. of course that was with an “unproven rookie QB and RB..

:espn: Screw what they think.. they’ll soon figure out the same thing a lot of teams have already figured out.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A bunch of blah, blah, blah from a bunch of reporter hacks from BSPN.. the same people that said we would be dead last in our division two years ago when we went 13-3.. of course that was with an “unproven rookie QB and RB..

:espn: Screw what they think.. they’ll soon figure out the same thing a lot of teams have already figured out.

Yes that all entire offense is Zeke and stop him and let Dak beat you with his Arm...I mean what's the secret here?

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Dak-friendly... Dak-friendly... Dak-friendly... Dak-friendly... (keep repeating until the point of belief)

Sydla

Reaction score

I’d take Benjamin and Robinson over any WR we have.

But you are right..... Tennessee’s are weak too. A lot is riding on Corey Davis there.